Home – New Forums Selling online FINDING AN OVERSEAS MANUFACTURER YOU CAN TRUST

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wealth creator
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

I want to source horse wear with the intention of eventually creating my own brand, but with all the bad experiences one reads about out there about Chinese and other overseas manufacturers, I just don’t know who to trust. Travelling over there is just not an option.
    Does anyone have any contacts that they have used with good results?
    I would love to get my items manufactured in Australia but have had no luck in finding anyone and I’ve heard it’s too expensive to be viable.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Corporate escapee
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Right or wrong, very few people will share their contacts. It can take a lot of time, money and heartache to find good manufacturers and people like to keep theirs to themselves (a bit like good cleaners).

My advice is to google and get on Facebook. Also, pick up the phone instead of emailing because a factory that can’t help may suggest one that can. Also, don’t be afraid to ask cheeky questions of people already in the game, eg at trade shows.

An agent is another option. To be honest though, I don’t think you can manufacture overseas if you can’t afford to travel. You need to see the factory and meet with its management in my view. Even if you use an agent, they may be based in Hong Kong, and if you meet them in person it will progress the relationship faster.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Unfortunately, you won’t find a supplier through word of mouth. It’s really a part of the initiation process of becoming a manufacturer yourself.

I would suggest you start with horse-riding associations here in Australia. Pick up the phone and talk to people, explain what you want to do. When you ask for help (rather than asking for specific information) you’ll be amazed how people’s attitudes change. You’ll start to get suggestions of names and contacts to speak with, and eventually that chain will lead you to a supplier.

It will take a lot of effort and time, but little money, and this is the easy bit!! So if you’re not up to this challenge, you will struggle with what’s to come.

Good luck !!
    Wendy :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Corporate escapee, post: 212869, member: 64428 wrote:
    Right or wrong, very few people will share their contacts. It can take a lot of time, money and heartache to find good manufacturers and people like to keep theirs to themselves (a bit like good cleaners).

Have been watching this thread out of interest more than anything, and I must say that this statement is one that most people wanting to import completely overlook.. Again, wrongly or rightly, most will not share their ‘trade secrets’ that have some times cost them many thousands of dollars to learn – be it through mistakes, trips or other ways.

Personally, if i found a golden ticket to a manufacturer i am not sure i would share it (i know i dont tell anyone my current suppliers) and its not really greed although preservation and minimising competition and the likes.. Happy to share how to locate them, where to go in China to find etc although it takes a bit of investigating.. With many sites online such as Ali or others you can stumble through locating one, although as CE has said you can both solidify and expedite relationships in person and show your seriousness at importing at the same time.

Wishing you all the best and must say Wendy has a nice approach, as usual as well :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Peter Wang
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

There are several good Chinese websites that you can use to find good manufacturers: Global Souces, Global Market, and Made in China. All of these three websites have been listed on the stock exchange market and they are responsible for their manufacturers, so at least the manufacturers listed on these websites will not cheat your money. And all of the manufacturers on these websites have been inspect by the websites.

If you still worried, then you can find a Australian local trade agent or a Chinese trade agent help you to purchase, but the cost will be going up about 5 to 8%.
    At last best wishes to your future business.

Your sincerely

Peter Wang

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.