Home – New Forums Tech talk finding decent guest post and interview opportunities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Excellence Solar
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

I’m at a stage where it’d make a lot of sense to be doing guest posts or interviews on other people’s websites. Between myself and my business partner, we have a lot of good stuff to tell people on topics relating to rooftop solar installations, and what people can do to make it work for them in home or business environments.

A little bit stuck on how to get the ball rolling though.

I just want to clarify that I’m not looking for the kind of low-end stuff where you commission a couple of $10 articles that are all just scraped together from wikipedia and google searches, and then given out to whomever is happy to take it. I’m looking to provide quality content to real websites with real readers.

Is this something anybody here does? How did you go about it?

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi there,

Is this something anybody here does? How did you go about it?

Yes, I do this – and, is certainly worthwhile. I have gained good exposure/business for my company through guest posts/interviews etc.

How did I go about it? It takes time & hard work!

Now – people actually contact me asking if I would do a guest article for them on the subject of trademarks/IP, or interview me on the subject.. But this has come after a lot of dedicated time is spent positioning myself as an expert on the topic.

Using Flying Solo as the example – I have spent months on the forums, offering what I hope is seen as genuine and useful assistance/answers to people etc.. This is a good forum for me given the nature of my services – and this led to me discovering that Flying Solo does public articles, so, I followed the rules and got myself approved as a regular contributor – so, now have my articles published monthly. From here, other people (not necessarily flying solo members) come across those articles and will contact me to either use them, or, source new articles from me.

Perhaps there are forums relating to solar energy and related where you can position yourself as an expert, and perhaps align yourself with the site organisers in a similar way?

I have also approached others asking if they’d be interested in a once-off or at times a semi-regular post from me on my subject. I of course don’t approach competitors, but businesses where I know information about IP will simply add to what they already offer their clients. For me this has included the likes of accountants – who might post about business/company registration, so the subject of trademarks is a logical fit; or hubs that offer business start up information but I’ve found they didn’t have trademarks covered etc… Approaching people is a good way to go – the worse that they can say is ‘no thanks’.

I also signed up to things like Source Bottle… every now and then they are ‘sourcing’ articles or post on various topics. You never know when one in your field might pop up. Through this I obtained a week long ‘guest expert’ spot on a business forum.

Keep your own blog as well if you don’t already, and work on ensuring that ranks well. The more your name/blog/site/business comes up when people are searching for certain information the more people will come to realise you are a trusted source for this information; that your information is quality content and not an outsourced mish-mash article.

Disclaimer: I am certainly not any sort of ‘online’ promotion expert – just speaking from my own experiences of being someone who wants to provide quality content too :)

Hope this helps

Rachel@TheKidsAreAllRight
    • Total posts: 40
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 159038 wrote:
    Through this I obtained a week long ‘guest expert’ spot on a business forum.

Jacqui I have a forum (not as big and active as this :) ) and this is something I’ve considered for mine. Unfortunately, IP is not a suitable topic or I would ask you to contribute! But I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind giving me some more details on how this worked. How often did you need to check in? Was there a risk you would have too many questions to reply to? Did you do this simply for the exposure or did they offer to pay? Was it a good opportunity for you?

Thanks so much Jacqui, hope you don’t mind the questions :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Rachel,

How often did you need to check in? Was there a risk you would have too many questions to reply to? Did you do this simply for the exposure or did they offer to pay? Was it a good opportunity for you?

I was asked to check in daily, for 7 days straight. I originally saw the call out on Source Bottle – looking for experts in business related matters… I did it for the exposure at the time, and no I wasn’t paid.

I was asked to contribute a post essentially per day – nothing too longer, just a brief post covering a slightly different topic within IP. Then, readers would ask questions. I would then log back in and answer the day’s questions. The format allowed me to have my daily post prepared ahead of time and I just copied/pasted each day. (I knew the week I would be ‘appearing’ about a month in advance.. so, plenty of time to get 7 days worth of posts ready). I then spent maybe an hour (ish) each afternoon answering the questions that had come up during the day. I think it was a good opportunity for me, yes. As mentioned, I did it for the exposure and feel it was achieved.

I’ve also been asked and participated in a 2 hour session online about copyright. This was conducted on a Facebook page, where I logged on and basically fielded questions for those 2 hours with the page’s fans. Again, good exposure, as the page has a lot of fans. The posts then of course stay up on their page… So, in this case, there were a lot of questions and it was a pretty fast and furious experience – but, it was only for 2 hours so there was a definite ‘end’ to it, and again worth it. Perhaps this is something you can also consider?

Hope this helps? If you’re after more specific information/experience – am more than happy to share my experiences – feel free to get in touch if need be :)

Up

Jacqui that’s all fantastic info, thanks so much for taking the time to give me that level of detail.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Go to Google and type in

guest post

or

write for us

So in your case, you would type in something like this ….

write for us “rooftop solar installations”
    guest post “solar energy”

etc etc etc

There’s no need to make it any harder than it needs to be.

Infact here’s one I found in seconds…

http://solarpowerrocks.com/write-for-us-and-get-free-advertising/

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

By the way, if you’re experts on the subject matter with “a lot to say”, then consider starting your own podcast.

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 159038 wrote:
    Using Flying Solo as the example – I have spent months on the forums, offering what I hope is seen as genuine and useful assistance/answers to people etc.. This is a good forum for me given the nature of my services – and this led to me discovering that Flying Solo does public articles, so, I followed the rules and got myself approved as a regular contributor – so, now have my articles published monthly. From here, other people (not necessarily flying solo members) come across those articles and will contact me to either use them, or, source new articles from me.

Always glad to hear contributing to Flying Solo is working to your benefit Jacqui! The feeling’s mutual :)

Thanks again for offering some great advice.

Excellence Solar, these additional content marketing strategies might also be of help.

Cheers,

Jodie

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

Jacqui has some excellent advice so I will just pretty much echo it.

I have found guest blogging opportunities through FS, Source Bottle and a couple of niche groups/forums.

I’m not sure of anything in your field, but how about offering posts to the countless business-related websites out there. About how going solar can boost your business? (saving money in the long term plus the green credentials).

Or even start your own blog.

Cheers

Nicole

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Don’t limit your thinking to online.

Have you considered submitting articles to local and Sunday newspapers? You could end up with a weekly spot.

And the worst that can happen is they say no :)

Wendy :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Excellence Solar, post: 158989 wrote:
    I’m at a stage where it’d make a lot of sense to be doing guest posts or interviews on other people’s websites. Between myself and my business partner, we have a lot of good stuff to tell people on topics relating to rooftop solar installations, and what people can do to make it work for them in home or business environments.
    Hi Excellence,
    It is not clear to me what your objective is in seeking guest posts on other websites.

If your objective is to improve generic SE referrals to your site, may I humbly suggest you look to improving your on-site SE ranking parameters first, and this would include publishing content on your own site in preference to another site.

If your objective is to generate referrals from links on 3rd party sites, guest posts may not be the most cost-efficient answer. You may find short posts on topic relevant forums to be more efficient. Forums often give you an idea of how many people view a specific thread. It may be difficult to obtain viewer numbers for websites that allow you to post as a guest.

You may want to explore the strategy of posting a lengthy article on your own site, then creating short “awareness” links to it on forums and a bunch of other social media sites.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Up

I would also say be careful who you do it for. It might sound obvious, but choose good quality sites that are further ahead than you in numbers/growth/status. I’ve done a few through Source Bottle and in hindsight can see that they were a waste of time and good content. You can feel a bit used as some sites churn through content and your piece is just another article in their hungry cycle that doesn’t get promoted and gets buried quickly. In these cases I thought a high number of hits was a good enough indicator but it isn’t – I don’t know how they are getting their high numbers but those hits are not engaged readers.

This is in the parenting/women/lifestyle categories – perhaps it’s different in your field :)

Excellence Solar
    Up
    Rachel@TheKidsAreAllRight, post: 159289 wrote:
    I would also say be careful who you do it for. It might sound obvious, but choose good quality sites that are further ahead than you in numbers/growth/status

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. That’s why I specified for “decent” spots. I mean I already knew about how to go about doing guest posts all day long for sites that set the bar pretty low on who they’ll work with, but I am fairly keen to aim somewhere higher on the food chain. So I thought I’d fish for some ideas on how other people have gone about it. It sounds like people have had a mixed experience with Source Bottle but I guess it’s worth a punt.

Part of what we’re looking for is to become known to and develop a relationship with people who write about clean energy topics. Obviously some quality backlinks from semantically relevant authority sites would be nice too, hence why I posted in this forum.

We have our own blog already and update it regularly.. it’s not linked to from the front page of our site, but it’s there. The vast bulk of the content I work on is for our own site and I don’t see that changing. I’m not terribly enthusiastic about the idea of completely ignoring backlink opportunities though.

Many thanks for your post Jacqui, full of great ideas and things to think about.

GregNunanAU
    • Total posts: 58
    Up
    BlackCoffeeComms, post: 159238 wrote:
    Jacqui has some excellent advice so I will just pretty much echo it.

Or even start your own blog.

I’m going to double echo Jacqui’s advice! Quality response that one.

Then echo the start your own blog comment as well.

Doesn’t need to be a hugely time consuming task. With expertise in the area, you’ll knock out articles and post them in under and hour. One per week and you’re at a 52 post blog.

Excellence Solar
    Up

Yeah, cheers HBH. As I said in my last post, I put a blog on our site right at its very beginning, and it gets regularly updated with good, relevant, orginal content.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.