Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Finish this sentence (please) The best newsletters are …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up
    ::

New York Times tech writer, Mike Isaac recently started a (free) newsletter to communicate with his fan base.

His reasons for doing so are listed here, but the general gist is that he felt a newsletter was a “better use of my time than scrolling through twitter … and a space for thoughts that are too long for social media and too short for an article”.

He’s calling it The Dump, which I like too.

His post made me curious about my favourite elements of a newsletter – of which I get many, and delete almost as quickly as I get them.

The newsletters that hook me in are:

1. Concise (no more than 4 paragraphs)
    2. Include a good quote (preferably in italics)
    3. Link off to a couple (no more than three) extra bits of information/reading to keep my scrolling.

How about you?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I can’t answer your question directly Lucy but will say that I am far less likely to subscribe to or read a traditional newsletter in 2019 than at any time previously.

Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 265070, member: 78928 wrote:
    I can’t answer your question directly Lucy but will say that I am far less likely to subscribe to or read a traditional newsletter in 2019 than at any time previously.
    I found his timing for this interesting too! But I do read them. I like the access to a person’s voice in longer form. That said, I also love Instagram stories for the same reason! So. Many. Things. To. Read :)
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

A newsletter that isn’t long winded, repetitive or clutters up my inbox.

Personally I find 90% of newsletter’s fail 2 but mostly 3 of those criteria after the third edition. Most people have nothing new to say, and just repeat the same but using different words. A bit like 95% of blog posts

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I am a bit of a black sheep here but I love long and informative newsletters that aren’t full of links that you have to click to read the full thing. If I am interested in an article in a newsletter I will choose to go to the website to look more closely at the thing being talked about.
    I HATE newsletters that are just a list of headlines that you have to click.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I like newsletters, and subscribe to few, most are weekly and all are niche tech stuff that interests me.

Web tech is evolving rapidly and there’s a lot of “noise” to wade through, good newsletters help imo.

I’ve trashed plenty finding the ones that suit my needs, all the ones I persevere with are curated or edited by respected players in their fields. Over time they’ve proved I won’t be getting led into off topic spammy rubbish.

Like Rowan, headline links don’t work with me. I prefer a precis of the article content then I’m happy to follow links and read in depth, the more depth provided the better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.