Home – New Forums Tell me straight… First Website I’ve ever made

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AndrewSEO
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

If you could spare the time to give me feedback on my site it would be great. I understand it needs some work of all fronts so feel free to put in your 5 cents about anything, and i’m sure it will evolve over time. Just set it live this morning, keep it blunt if you like, your help won’t offend me :)

http://www.seorankup.com.au

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Andrew,
    You are entering a very contentious area of online services.

You should hunt around some of the threads about rip-off SEO services posted on FS to get a feel for the level of discontent/vehemence that people feel.

Eg: This one started in Mar 2011 and keeps coming back.

It’s up to 30,000 views and 138 replies now.

Sorry to be blunt but your site gives us nothing to help evaluate your expertise, experience, training, successes or target customers.

I can’t see much chance of success unless you address these critical issues.

We are left to form subjective opinions based on what we see, or don’t see on your site.

Here are some I formed and why…

1. Your Potential Clients Will Primarily Assess Your Site on Desktop Monitors

Why is your site not designed for desktop viewing, first?

The design wastes screen space and forces me to scroll unnecessarily. It gives users no reason to scroll down or click through to another page.

These form the impression you are inexperienced in marketing to B2B clients.

2. Poor Visual Communications

You use long lines of centred text with coloured background images that scroll past the text.

Info with these attributes is difficult to read, comprehend and remember. Studies have shown that people leave web pages with these attributes much sooner than ones with easily read attributes.

This creates the impression that your SEO services may lack knowledge of how to improve visitor conversion rates for your clients.

3. Lack of Content

SEO is primarily about content and you apparently only have 7 short pages on your site indexed by Google. It does not begin to answer the questions that potential clients will have.

3.1 Site-wide Content
    An SEO consultant should be working on attracting potential clients to many pages of a website.

Therefore every site page should answer these questions above the fold:

• Who are you?
    • What do you do?
    • Who do you do it for?
    • Where are you?
    • How do I contact you?
    • Where am I on the site?

Your site doesn’t.

3.2 Home Page
    What does this primary Home page statement have to do with any question about SEO services?

“The best teamwork comes from people who are working independently toward one goal in unison.”

Next item is the “Begin Your Journey” button which goes to the Contact Us page.

No one is going to contact you until they believe you have a service that satisfies their needs and that they feel confident about your capabilities.

3.3 Your Services
    Why do you waste our time with irrelevant info and a contact box?

Eg: Main heading:

“The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.”

The only small content piece of relevance is at the bottom of the page. No one will even bother scrolling.

What potential clients will want to know about your services includes:

• What sort of industries/size of companies do you service?
    • Who have you worked for?
    • What results have you delivered?
    • What about case studies?

This site section should need many, many pages to answer all the questions different potential clients may ask before they decide you do offer the services they need.

3.4 About Us
    Learn about the best SEO team” – How? There is no useful info on your page.

You claim your team has 25 year’s combined experience. How many in your team? Is it 100 people in an overseas location with 3 months SEO experience each?

How can people assess your SEO services when you give them nothing?

4. Page Titles

I see you have page titles like:

Best websites in Melbourne and Sydney – SEO Rank Up” – Oops its a “404” page not found.
    SEO Rank Up Melbourne | SEO Tips and Strategies” – This takes us to a page with the heading “What this means to you“.

There are no SEO tips or strategies offered. People get really PO’ed when page content doesn’t complement the page title.

You only have 7 pages to track, or should I reduce that to 6 because there seems to be at least one page of duplicate content? Effective SEO requires a lot of “i” dotting and “t” crossing. When an SEO service has so many faults in such a tiny website, what will its services be like on a 20 page site, let alone a large one?

BTW, Why hasn’t G indexed your Home page?

5. Your LinkedIn Profile

People will look up your LinkedIn profile. It tells us you were a “Sensis Account Manager SEO” through to 2015. There will be many on FS who will likely consider this a conflict in terms.

There is not one endorsement of any SEO skills in your profile.

All the above are very bad SEO knowledge signals that I suggest you address ASAP.
    Good luck.
    JohnW

AndrewSEO
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hey John,

Thanks a lot for all of that, it was really informative, and I definitely will take those into account, when I make the changes :)

I really appreciate the time you took for that review by the way.

Thank You.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

As John said, as a prospective client we really like to see real case studies of who you have worked with and what are the exact measurable results you have achieved for them. There are many ways to quantify and display this information.

I understand if you’re starting out this isn’t possible.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

I would also add that if you’re going to have examples on your website that they be really good examples. Even if you only did a small amount of work (like a blog and writing some articles) a visitor will assess the whole site in general.

The first one I looked at “S.A.S.S.Y” is a bit scary, if you view the home page source there’s about two whole pages of meta keywords which is the same block duplicated three times. It’s got a very unoptimised meta description and the page title is also duplicated in the code. Besides the title there is no other text for Google to consider.

I then Googled the other two references and found that they’re just the default names and photos from the theme you’ve used and these two people don’t actually exist.

At this point I switched to my other Chrome tab where I’d googled your name. The LinkedIn profile link didn’t load so I went to the next result which is your Facebook profile and that doesn’t really give the impression of a professional services provider.

My suggestion would be to put yourself in the shoes of someone who is going to use you. Your typical business owner is going to look you and your references up.

Good luck!

Maclean

JamesR
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I’d be careful about promising things that you may not be able to deliver on:
    http://www.seorankup.com.au/services/
    It says on that page “Rank First” …. are you guaranteeing that? what happens if a clients doe not “rank first” … are you going to give a refund?

BellaLee
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi,

I just had a look at your website and while I can see you have put a lot of work into it, it seems a little busy for me. There are a lot of images and graphics going on which detract from your information and make it hard to read.

I agree with what John said, he did a very detailed appraisal for you! I would also add that in your about us, maybe you could do a meet the team. Have photos and their experience there so people can see you are real and who they will be working with. Try and make your website feel real and personable as SEO is a very complicated area and there are a lot of people who have been burned and are now very sceptical. If your site looks too unfocused, then people will think you are trying to hide something. Maybe try a fresh approach and don’t promise people the world, just promise that if they follow your path, their ranking will improve.

All the best with it all.

Bel

marblaze
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

[QUOTE=”
    Therefore every site page should answer these questions above the fold:

• Who are you?
    • What do you do?
    • Who do you do it for?
    • Where are you?
    • How do I contact you?
    • Where am I on the site?

What potential clients will want to know about your services includes:

• What sort of industries/size of companies do you service?
    • Who have you worked for?
    • What results have you delivered?
    • What about case studies?

JohnW

I learned a lot from your comments, need to cut and paste the above for guidance. More power.

MichaelDigital
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

You have received a very substantial volume of advice already, and I agree with much of it – this site is sparse and follows the ‘bootstrap’ format so prevalent in these times, it also generated a feeling of irritation in me, and if it did with me, it will with others – SEO is a crowded space, it is not understood widely by many-best of luck.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I did a google search and you didn’t appear on the first 10 pages. Why would I use a SEO service that doesn’t rank. IMHO.

tom@egroup
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Hi AndrewSEO,

Congratulations on your first site. For your very first site I think you have done well.

I don’t want to come across as condescending or anything like that. I wish you well. I remember when I was just starting up I went with this whole ‘fake it till you make it’ approach. It didn’t serve me well.

Just from someone who has been there and done that I would recommend telling your visitors more about you and why you are the answer to their needs. I got a lot of things wrong when I started up and laying claim to ‘X years of blah blah experience’ and ‘our team of umpty experts’ was one such mistake. It came across like I was trying to calculate the largest number possible that I thought was the most impressive. My visitors didn’t care. They weren’t looking for a massive digital agency, they wanted a small local agency, someone who could connect with them and understand their needs as a fellow small business. I missed so many opportunities because I tried to come across as a big time player.

Ultimately, your website is your first pitch and if it makes you feel stupid to say something to an acquaintance you shouldn’t put it on your website. Walking up to someone on the street and saying “The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do” while shaking their hand is a weird way of starting a conversation. You would normally strike up a chat by introducing yourself, telling them what you do, why you are talking to them and why they should care.

What prompted me to say this were the incredibly staged, professional-looking pictures of beautiful people on your homepage who gave you testimonials. A quick reverse Google search reveals the photos are from a WordPress theme called Hogan. The lady who owns S.A.S.S.Y. is also the face of the ‘Smart Girls with ADHD’ campaign. See this link and the exact same smiling people in the exact same order are giving testimonials here too – http://inspirationalwebsite.com/#testimonials

Again, a Google search of the business names reveal a bit of a issue too. Delta Constructions is number 2 in a Google search for their own name (poor SEO) and the third result is a page with the heading “Delta Constructions Prosecuted.”

And if Clare Ortega liked your service so much to write a testimonial for you why don’t you tell us what her site is rather than just ‘Online Retailer.’

Again, I only bring these up because I’ve been there.My biggest mistake is not being honest with my clients early on on who I am, on what I want to achieve and why I am better for them than every other agent out there. I wish I could have had my time again to fix that.

If you put into action JohnW’s recommendations and those of the other contributors I think you’ll be well placed to make a good go of it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.