Home – New Forums Other discussions Fitting in a ‘J.O.B’ with your business part time, how do you do it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am wondering just how some of the part-time business operators in the FS community balance their time with their other activities.

Shocking confession: I have a 9-5 AND design and build websites as a ‘self employed’ solo as well.

Is anyone else here balancing a ‘J.O.B.’ and their business?

Any tips or suggestions

Fiona

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Fiona,

I was fortunate when I started my business, that I had a passive income coming from commission from my old job. However that’s starting to dry up, so I’m starting to considering getting a shitkicker job for some extra money.

My wife is going to start doing a couple of shifts in hospitality, and I think I’ll try get a nightfill job or something.

Personally I think it’d be a lot easier and more enjoyable to just win the lottery.

Cheers,
    Chris

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I don’t think it’s possible is it? If you aren’t going hard, someone else is…so you’ll get creamed in the market place…

I reckon the only way to do it would be to have a job related to what you do in your business or else a no brainer job that allows you to plot world domination in between serving low maintenance customers or packing shelves…(mind you doing that kind of thing kind of alienates you…..whats your soul worth?)

IMO in technology related fields there are just too many knowledge overheads to run a business part time.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I went through a period where I had to get a part time job because I had a mortgage so instead of getting something outside the industry I got myself a very nice cleaning job with a large company.

I was given a building in the suburbs to look after, about 15 hours a week which included Saturday mornings. The money wasnt too bad but it was regular and not only that they supplied equipment and materials and contributed to a super fund. I was only looking for a fill in job and thought a few months I could give it away. To my surprise I did it for over five years
    , learnt heeps became good friends with the boss and enjoyed every moment working for him. He ocassionally phones me for advice on carpets.

I didnt have a problem with this, my own business built and developed, because my part time job took a lot of the pressure off, and without the pressure you put on yourself to succeed, you have time to think your business development through, even pick up on a few ideas. I even picked up quite a few jobs cleaning carpets for customers homes and their offices. ( naturally I told my Boss what I was doing and because he at that time didnt clean carpets was very helpful).

OK I was lucky in many ways.

A part time job just helps, financially mentally and sometimes phyically. What are you waiting for ?

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I was considering cleaning an office or something for a bit of extra cash. I tried to convince my partner to do it with me, then we could knock it over fairly easily. She wasn’t keen on the idea, plus I don’t have any contacts in the industry to get a job :P

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Fiona its definitely not something to be ashamed off.

I’m sure most us went through this situation whilst still in the ‘should I or should I not’ stage or until the side business became enough to be a full time business. Someone has to pay the bills hence no other option unless we want to regret not trying when we had that ‘light bulb’ idea.

I worked the 9 to 5 (or 9 to 7 at times) whilst starting up my practice on the side. My tips would be:

1/ If possible, let your employer know what your doing on the side. Should you need to do any quick side business during work hours you need to assure your employer you will make up all the time. It will and does get noticed if you keep disappearing or checking non work emails!
    2/ Calendarise some ‘me’ time or you’ll burn out.
    3/ All comes down to planning. Try to plan certain tasks for set periods of your week outside your 9 to 5 hours.
    4/ Put Voicemail on your phone saying that your with a client or working on a client matter and will get back to them asap. Suggest they email you your query for a quicker response.
    5/ Is it feasible to reduce your full time job to a 4 day job? Or change hours from 8 to 4 or 10 to 6 depending on if your a morning or afternoon person etc. so as to jiggle your day around a little, yet keeping the same hours?

Hang in there!

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hello Fiona

All I can say it is likely forget about having a “life” a know there are a lot of self help workshops out their saying we can have a work/life balance, but I remember when I started out 12 years ago, I was working part-time freelance work for my ex boss, trying to launch my firm and attend to clients (I had decided to go full steam and open a professional office with no clients rather then working from home, though I do not regret, I landed my first corporate client as they were in the building and starting conversations in the lift every morning) on top of that I was doing part-time Uni three nights a week, so as you can image M-F attending to work and finding work and weekends doing uni Prep.

All I can say is have a good support network around you that will support you and not make make you feel guilty for not been there.

Good luck

PS It does improve though, you then get time to jump on Forums and share

FionaFell
    Up

Wow, What a response.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

I am not ashamed of having a job to pay the mortgage, and a business to pay for the rest, and then some!

I think I need to pay attnetion to a few points shared:
    1. Plan, Schedule (Job + Clients)
    2. Me time!
    3. Keep on top of voicemail
    4. Stick at it.

Any more tips are always welcome.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Fiona,
    You might also find some useful tips in this article and the comments that follow it http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/p300619134_Managing-phone-calls-when-working-part-time.html

Keep up the good work!
    Jayne

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

I ran one of my businesses part time for nearly 3 years while I had a job.. pretty much the same business as you Fiona!

I basically answered some emails during the day at work, then spent 3-4 hours most nights actually working in the business. The extra cash was great.. but thats all I really saw it as.. extra cash.

This did takes it toll though, my wife wasn’t to happy that when she got in from work I was stuck in front of a computer.

I decided to put that ‘extra cash’ back into building the business and was able to secure some great clients while still working full time.. I then got to the stage where full time work was getting the way of the business.

So I took the plunge and went full time on the business, I haven’t looked back.. the extra time I can spend on building the business and finding new clients has really paid off – having that time during business hours to talk with clients is worth its weight in gold.

So I reckon stick in there, but try and plan and stage for an exit route on how you think you can go from an employee to an employer!

FionaFell
    Up

Exit route planning in coming together now.

As is accounts ($$) automation in the my business endevours to let me grow a little faster without sucking up too much time with chasing the mighty dollar from the pockets of clients

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

To me the trick is working out which is the hobby, the employed one or your business. As long as you think of the business as PT or hobby, then that is all it will be.

The hours in the employed side of things are hours taken away from building your business. Getting out and marketing it.

Of course, you are not really flying solo, till you are doing just that – working at it full time. Perhaps a new Board could be created for ‘fledglings’ ?

Everyday bookkeeping
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi there Fiona
    To answer your Question can you fit a job into your part time business… well yes but their are costs that you might not see.

I have found that New Clients are ringing me but can not meet with them because i work 4 days a week and in Bookkeeping Clients would like to “meet and greet” to see if they can trust me.

Also i have reciently found that my current clients are not recomending me as they believe i work full time and their friends would like to have someone on say tuesday and im working.

Im sure in your situation it could be different but there would still be the hidden costs that you can not see. But their is a positive to this all the morgage gets paid and you get a more exclusive clientelle.

tinam
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Yes and no :)
    I was until beginning of January where I lost my job. Since then I have not been working, so I’ve had more time to think about my self-employment, however it’s getting a bit hard with minimal income coming in.

At this stage I am going through the decision of whether I go back to full time or part time work. Part time will obviously be more beneficial for my business, however full time work will provide more income for things outside my business my husband and I want/need.

Decisions, decisions!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.