Home – New Forums Starting your journey Flat pack Granny Flat From China Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    johnnycashflow
    • Total posts: 98
    Up
    ::

ive always had this idea in the back of my mind for years and never acted, ive only done basic research on the idea, so excuse me

I think there is a good opporutnity to bringin flat pack granny flats for people to diy, obviousl it will be cheap,

obviously you need your own handymen and councils to connect services

obviously aust regulations are strict so youd have to abide by their requirements,

however the hard part for me I feel is the finding the CHinese contacts or factories aspect,

havehad a few friends who have dealt with chinese contacts and all have regretted it

Fredy Namdin
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Johny,

Innovative ideas with the flatpack granny flat!

I remember vaguely there was another company doing something similar. They basically build everything in a factory, ship them to site, then construct them like Lego pieces.

Your road is still long it seems like. Just a quick idea to help (hopefully it helps).

You’ll probably find that selling them is more difficult than buying them. Instead of starting from your products, it’s probably worth doing it the other way around as in, starting with the target customers.

Who knows maybe through some communications with current players in town (builders, local councils, developers, Bunnings?, etc.) you can get potential customers lining up for you. Once you get them, the next step would be getting some sort of fundings from local financial institution. Bring your business plans (and your potential customers’ purchase orders).

All the best!

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Why not support Australian businesses and manufacturing?

We’ve got enough cheap cr*p coming in from China as it is.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Good idea. My immediate thought is make sure that they meet Australian building codes and regulations, there have being a lot of things imported recently that don’t comply.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Finding a supplier in China is not going to be the hard part (there are heaps of them that provide construction materials and semi constructed items, kitchens shipped to Australia). Having seen builders do this, the biggest challenges are (a) the smallest changes in sizes or measurements can render everything pretty much useless and (b) Australian standards are very strict. We had a client ship nine pre made high end kitchens from China for some townhouses they were building. They cost about $10k landed each instead of $30k each local build. Some small installation costs but there are big savings. They also purchased a container load of windows. Some last minute changes were required and resulted in a few of these kitchens being completely useless.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    johnnycashflow
    Up

thank you for all your replies so far,

its replies like this (even if they arent what I want to hear) that make me very appreciative and excited

johnnycashflow
    Up
    Fredy Namdin, post: 245195, member: 83865 wrote:
    Hi Johny,

Innovative ideas with the flatpack granny flat!

I remember vaguely there was another company doing something similar. They basically build everything in a factory, ship them to site, then construct them like Lego pieces.

Your road is still long it seems like. Just a quick idea to help (hopefully it helps).

You’ll probably find that selling them is more difficult than buying them. Instead of starting from your products, it’s probably worth doing it the other way around as in, starting with the target customers.

Who knows maybe through some communications with current players in town (builders, local councils, developers, Bunnings?, etc.) you can get potential customers lining up for you. Once you get them, the next step would be getting some sort of fundings from local financial institution. Bring your business plans (and your potential customers’ purchase orders).

All the best!
    wow, I never have thought of doing things this way, have no product and sell it first,

Ive always been , get the product into your possession, give it a try, if it works, start selling,

maybe my method has been the traditional method or even the losers method???

but it seems crowdfunding is the modern way to do this,

very very appreciate the comment, It has opened up a totally new viewpoint for me!

Fredy Namdin
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Johny,

If you can create a prototype that would be better, coupled that with good drawing (preferably with software) and you will have a little bit of ‘weapon’ to pitch your potential customers. They probably wouldn’t pay upfront (unlike crowdfunding), but try to convince them to at least give a formal commitment to support you (commonly subject to certain understanding). That would give you a very good ground for the market potential of your products (and a great boost to your confidence too!).

All the best!

Bushmechanic
    • Total posts: 85
    Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

g’day,

hate to be a party popper. Do you hold a Builders License?

Cheers
    Corey

johnnycashflow
    Up
    Fredy Namdin, post: 245270, member: 83865 wrote:
    Hi Johny,

If you can create a prototype that would be better, coupled that with good drawing (preferably with software) and you will have a little bit of ‘weapon’ to pitch your potential customers. They probably wouldn’t pay upfront (unlike crowdfunding), but try to convince them to at least give a formal commitment to support you (commonly subject to certain understanding). That would give you a very good ground for the market potential of your products (and a great boost to your confidence too!).

All the best!
    that is also another great idea, thanks,

obviously at a very early early brainstorming idea,

im quite excited

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Corey, post: 245308, member: 31331 wrote:
    g’day,

hate to be a party popper. Do you hold a Builders License?

Cheers
    Corey

Just reading the OPS objective, he is only importing the flat packs, for DIY install, as such my understanding of the rules, a builders license would not be required.

Corey
    Up

how could the OP certify that the kit adhered to the Building Code of Australia [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER]?

Cheers
    Corey

Corey
    Up

A good resource –TransPack Granny Flats | Build a granny flat from under $10K

Cheers
    Corey

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Corey, post: 245427, member: 31331 wrote:
    how could the OP certify that the kit adhered to the Building Code of Australia [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER]?

Cheers
    Corey
    I dont have to be a qualified electrician to certify that the electrical gear I sell meets Australian standards, there are business’s that do certification for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.