Home – New Forums Logistics Flat Rate Shipping from any US Clothing Retailer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    freshy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a business idea that I’m toying around with but unsure if anyone, besides myself, would actually use.

The idea is offering $10 flat rate shipping from the US with pick up in Sydney or for an additional $10 Australia wide delivery.

Initially, I’d only be able to accept orders for clothing products as anything else would be weight & size prohibitive.

This opens up a wide array of stores which many offer free shipping within the US (GAP, H&M, Victorias Secret, American Eagle, Amazon, Walmart etc…).

I’m confident on my pricing as I already regularly import from the US on a bi-monthly basis and I feel $10 will cover my costs, although pricing might have to be revisited or perhaps moved to a membership model at a later stage.

Pros

• Much cheaper than your traditional freight forwarders
    • You know exactly how much you’re paying

Cons

• One way shipping. No returns. If it doesn’t fit, you’re stuck with it or stick it on ebay.
    • Consolidated shipping would have to be under the $1000 Duty Free limit.

Thoughts? Would you use it?

pollypolkadot
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

Hi there!

Sorry if I am being a bit dense, but I am not sure exactly what you are proposing…

If I want to buy something from a US website, but I feel the quoted cost of postage is too expensive (say $50), I contact you to buy it for me, therefore making the postage cheaper for myself? Is that it?
    And/or is it for sites that will not send things to Aus at all, therefore the customer needs to go through a third party, and you are proposing to be a cheaper alternative to the other third parties already operating?

Just want to clarify what you are talking about so we are on the same page!

Thanks,
    Polly

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Freshy,

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a good concept. I’d recommend narrowing down your target customer – are you giving consumers access to US products, or maybe you’re the go-to guy for Ebay sellers sourcing from the US, or is there another group of people who this solves a problem for?

Good luck with it and keep us posted for sure. :)

Dave

freshy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Polly,

After re-reading, I was a bit vague on the details :)

The two situations I envisage are buying from a fashion retailer in the US:

1. who doesn’t offer shipping to Australia
    2. who charges an absurd amount to ship to Australia

How it works

• Customer orders items from a USA retailer and enters my warehouse as their address
    • Customer notifies me of their order and their Australian address via my website
    • Order arrives in my US warehouse and is shipped to Australia and then shipped to the customer all for one flat rate fee.

There are quite a few companies out there offering forwarding services already but these are quite expensive / unclear on fees and none offer a simple flat rate solution.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

I think you’re severely limiting the feasibility of it by trying to get goods in under the tax/duty level. After you take out the postage costs (that’s included in the appraised value) you can only bring in 20-30 shirts to keep it under $1000. That will get you $200-$300 (assuming you’re charging $10/item) in fees from the customers. So you’d probably only make $100 max? How many hours would it take you to earn that $100?

Even scaling it up would it be worth your while unless you were bringing in a few CBMs?

Flik
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Great idea! There’s been plenty of times when I’ve wanted to buy something but the company either doesn’t ship to Australia or charges an absolute fortune for postage. I’ve looked at other forwarding companies but they were too expensive and/or required a membership. If I could pay a flat rate of $20 to have the goods delivered to my door I’d be happy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.