Home – New Forums Other discussions Flying past 50,000 members!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    ::

Hi All

At approx 1pm AEST today we were lucky enough to attract member No: 50,000.

We’re just making contact with the person in question and once we have his/her permission, we’ll let you know who it is (and yes, we’ll make a nice big fuss of them).

A big thank you to all for helping create such a friendly, bustling community.

Robert and the FS Crew

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Congratulations on a well-deserved milestone :D

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Congratulations to the Flying Solo team for achieving such a milestone.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Well done, if you cant find them I’ll volunteer to take number 50,000

Steve

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Well done! It’s certainly a long way from all the other business forums I’ve been on in the past.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Wow that’s exciting, congratulations! But where are they all!??? Do they all sit back and watch us talk at each other on here?

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

woo hoo! Congratulations! SmileyHappyDance.gif

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

A big congratulations to you and the rest of the team Robert!

This forum is a shining light on the internet for good behavior and community. Where other forums I’ve been on have devolved into uncivil wastelands, this one, due in large part to good management and moderation, has continued to retain a polite and informative atmosphere and continues to provide value to me and many other members. It’s something you should be very proud of.

Cheers,
    John

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Thanks everyone for all your support and kind words!! Of course it’s YOU that have made it happen so a big THANKS from us all :) Looking forward to continuing the journey.

My Wedding Concierge, post: 128903 wrote:
    Wow that’s exciting, congratulations! But where are they all!??? Do they all sit back and watch us talk at each other on here?
    Good question indeed :) This is a topic we think about a lot and are always looking for better ways to encourage people to engage and participate (indeed that’s what separates a community from general content sites).

We’ve done a fair bit of research on this over the years and the gap between passive readers (sometimes affectionately known as lurkers) and contributors is well documented online, it’s sometimes called The 1% Rule.

On wikipedia it is defined as…

“The 1% rule states that the number of people who create content on the Internet represents approximately 1% (or less) of the people actually viewing that content (for example, for every person who posts on a forum, generally about 99 other people are viewing that forum but not posting).”

A slightly different definition is also included:

The “90–9–1″ version of this rule states that 1% of people create content, 9% edit or modify that content, and 90% view the content without contributing.”

Anecdotally it is incredible the amount of people who spend lots of time on community sites but either never actually contribute, or wait years before finally diving in, which is totally fine.

And yes, of course, there are also those who jump in for one post with self-promotion in mind never to return :)

Luckily we do have an absolutely brilliant core of contributors that we know and love 😎 and always welcome new contributions, so don’t be shy!

Thanks again!
    Peter, Robert, Sam, Jayne, Lisa and Jodie!

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Wow, thanks for the lovely feedback everyone! It’s pretty exciting knowing just how fast and strong the soloist/micro business community is growing – and not just on Flying Solo but around Australia.

Exciting also to witness this community drawing on its own strength to become a real force in Australian business. Onwards and upwards!

Jodie

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    My Wedding Concierge, post: 128903 wrote:

A common thing on many forums. There is always a core group that does most of the chatting (are we chatterboxes then? :D) while others just sit back and read, with some contributing only now and then.

Personally I love getting involved and getting to know others so I like to participate. More things happen then!

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Quite right Kathie! We can’t expect all members to dive into the forums. Many are happy to read our articles; hook up with us via Facebook and Twitter or dive into some of the other resources.

So long as we’re connecting with value somewhere, we’re doing our job!

Robert

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Woohoo – congrats to the whole FS team… (and, Kathie – love the dancing smiley faces you managed to post!).

I’m a bit late to congratulate you all – whilst it’s only been a day or so since the milestone was reached, it seems the thread may be more aptly titled “Flying towards 60,000 members” ;)

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

What an amazing milestone to reach – congratulations :D

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Huge thanks from me too everyone.

You really are lovely to hang out with :)

Jayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.