Home – New Forums Find the help you need Flying Solo Directory?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    ::

Hey FSers =)

Quite a few times I’ve gone to refer work to someone on the forums, but for the life of me can’t remember their forum name / contact details, which then results in quite a bit of time consuming searching.

So what I was thinking was perhaps creating a FS directory, to make it easier to find such details.

Perhaps to keep the spammers out, only have the active members of the forums – Say those with other 50-100 posts?

What are your thoughts? Think this may be viable?

– Jake

beckles
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

I think this is a great idea!

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I think it’s a good idea. Also lets FS show some PR loving to their active members.

danb
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

I agree, that sounds like a fantastic idea!

Obviously, being new here would mean I have a while to catch up to the 50-100 post rule, however I think that’s a good number to sort out the spam from the real and helpful.

It is something I can see become really useful!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Yes I agree it would be great to have a directory so that I could refer people to you guys, however there are over 5000 members. This is one big organisation.
    A print version post would be far too expensive, however the directory we have is in alphabetical format. How could we convert it to a business format.

Me thinks this would be a huge task, so what I have started to do is add a links page to my website of the forum members I have met / helped me personally and I will continue to ad to this page.

There may be another way but at this point in time thats the way Im doing it.
    For me to meet each and everyone who participates on the forum is a deam that I would like to see happen, and I have the rest of my life to do it……..problem is how long do I have hahahaha

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

Patrick,

I had no idea about that list nor that I was on it =) Thanks! I think I owe you a drink at our next James Squires.

There are plenty of open source applications for link directories – wouldn’t take much with our resident experts to set one up.

Good to see a lot of positive feedback so quickly =)

– Jake

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Wow, thanks Burgo! Honored to be on your list! :)

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Well done, Patrick.

I think the list is great idea. I too look forward to meeting some fellow soloists. I get up to Sydney a couple of times a year so the list would also make it easier to search for those in various states and maybe make arrangements for a coffee etc when visiting interstate.

We can all do with some pleasure as well as business.

Happy Monday everyone.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Aw shucks Mr Burgo, I am truly honored to be considered your friend!

Agreed also, the idea of a business directory is one of those now why didn’t we think of that before moments.

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Burgo – thanks for the link ;-) I feel honoured.

I think it should be easy to build in a database with a search function, I am on another forum where you can search by industry or name.

Cheers
    Astrid

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Is there a link to a list? If there is how do I see it?

Thanks,

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

There is one on this very forum.
    When you log on to the forum you see a page with all the different rooms and a current post.
    Now scroll down this page as far as it will go and you come across a series of boxes, where it tells you who on line ect and we have 6550 members.
    Just above this there is a members list, click on here and you will find 102 pages of who is who and how many posts they have made and above that there is a directory in alphabetical order.
    It is an interesting place and I go there about every six months because I have foregotten a name.
    If I can navigate it then you younger computer savvy people will find it a breeze…hope that helps.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

Burgo,

Sure, we know that one is there … But was we were thinking was something a bit more formalised.

Something that includes business name, operator name, contact details, location etc etc.

With the forum directory it’s rather difficult and still time consuming to sort through people by forum name – Plus, in a lot of cases, the forum name doesn’t reflect either their business name or their personal name.

Regards,

Jake

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi All

Just to let you know we are only a couple of weeks away from launching our entirely new site and a component of this is indeed a directory.

We knew this was on the community wishlist and we think you’ll like what you see…and we know you’ll tell us if you don’t!

We’ll keep you posted!

Robert and the FS Crew

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

Robert,

Great to hear!

Jake

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.