Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events Flying Solo Gold Coast ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

I’m getting myself out there within the local Gold Coast community trying out the various networking groups. I’m a member of one Chamber and AskErni so far however both require hefty membership (and ongoing) fees.

I would love to follow suit as per the wordmistress and offer something up for soloists of the Gold Coast that is free ?

Thus I’d love to use this thread as a way to discuss where + when (date) we would do our own Flying Solo Lunch ?

Or do you want me to do all this and y’all just say “yay” or “nay”.

Even if there is only 5 of us.. it is a start hopefully ?

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi Vanessa

I found that the best way to make it happen was just to make it happen! If you ask everyone when, how, who, etc, it takes a whole lot more effort to coordinate. But if you decide on a date, time and venue, those who can make it will come and those who can’t won’t but might tell you when would be more appropriate for them next time. Some people prefer nights, others prefer days. It’s not possible to accommodate everyone but it is possible to nail down a date and time if you set it and everyone tries to accommodate that.

I always say that even if one person turns up, then it goes ahead. It wouldn’t be fair of me to cancel when that one person has committed to attending. So the fact that you said “even if there are only 5 of us” is brilliant :).

These kinds of things grow, the same as for newsletter databases and client bases. It has to start somewhere, and you’re doing a great job by establishing it :).

Good luck!!

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I’m on the gold coast, going to the brisbane meeting that’s coming up :)

Mindcare
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi there Vanessa,

I’m also a soloist on the Gold Coast trying to get myself out there.

I would be interested in coming along to something you organise.

You’re right, some of those memberships are too hefty for a small soloist.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Stephanie

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

You’re all very welcome to come along to mine on the 12th. It’s at The Stafford Tavern so quite close to the City. Then you can replicate the format and hold your events on the Coast :)

Steveo
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

I’m on the GC too.

Count me in!

Steve.

Anonymous
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 51516 wrote:
    You’re all very welcome to come along to mine on the 12th. It’s at The Stafford Tavern so quite close to the City. Then you can replicate the format and hold your events on the Coast :)

Due to the nature of my business, I cannot at this point in time attend anything within Brisbane or even very North Gold Coast. I need to stay “close” to the Gold Coast (or at least within Central – North Gold Coast).

Ok.

I’ve thought of the perfect place and would like to replicate a lunch as there are plenty of “breakfasts” out there … and lunch allows it to be more casual, social and informal (something I feel is missing from networking groups on the Coast they all seem to have speakers etc etc)… also allow people to come for 15mins or longer. No pressure.

PLACE – Corporate Centre – Bundall –> Cnr Bundall rd & Slatyer Ave

As this is quite a central location + allows you to travel multiple routes “out” of it. It has plenty of parking and a nice little coffee “shop” on the ground floor. If you’re worried about traffic – avoid Ferry Rd. Come in from “the back” (Slatyer Ave).

TIME / DATE: Monday 18th October 12noon until 1pm

How would that work for people ? I’ll keep it to the 3rd Monday of every month (except December – we’ll have a break every December).

BRING: Yourself + a friend or two or three. $$ for coffee or snack.

Bring 4 business cards. No more. I have my reasoning for this :-)

(One of those cards is reserved to be given to me. If you want to know my reasoning behind “less is more” in re business cards please do ask! *wink*)

Anonymous
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 51498 wrote:
    These kinds of things grow, the same as for newsletter databases and client bases. It has to start somewhere, and you’re doing a great job by establishing it :).

Good luck!!

Oh I realise that… word of mouth etc. I just see a need for something that doesn’t cost the earth only my time (and fuel + coffee money LOL!) because all I see is heaps of networking groups on the GC. They’re all great however.. hardly any FREE or AFFORDABLE alternatives.

Gosh, one requires $80 from its MEMBERS each “breakfast”!?!

Or well.. they offer “the first meeting free” however subsequent meetings are costly for non members. Plus they all have speakers etc. I want to focus more on relationship building … getting to know people.

If you have any tips etc for me – feel free to PM me :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.