Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events Flying Solo on Twitter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up
    ::

Scared of technology????? Whooo, be careful there Jodie, I reckon I could run rings around you and tie you in knots so tight you wouldn’t know where to face. But then, that is certainly not my style because I aim to help people unravel those knots.

It’s not at all that some of us are scared of a challenge, but when you get to the “level in life” of ones like Burgo and I it’s probably more like “is the time and energy really necessary and worth it for what we will get out of it….”.

We came from the era of “if you can do it with a pencil and notepad then why use a computer”. So, my challenge is for you to find out just how useful this technology is for us in business, is this another additional networking option or is it really just not mature enough for business yet? I am open to new options, keep us posted on your journey. But be careful to not get carried away simply because its exciting new technology and “I must have it”.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

You have a nice way with words Paul.

JodieR
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

LOL. Your points are very valid (of course).

So, my challenge is for you to find out just how useful this technology is for us in business, is this another additional networking option or is it really just not mature enough for business yet? I am open to new options, keep us posted on your journey. But be careful to not get carried away simply because its exciting new technology and “I must have it”.

One thing I was trying to achieve with my taunts… was for members to explore for themselves the possibilities that applies to them individually. Purely because I don’t want to spend too much time helping others with twitter – which is why I put out some initial suggestions and links that helped me get started so far. I don’t want to waste too much of my time on it as there are more important aspects of my business to concentrate on – as you guys have asked… is it worth your time? I have to ask myself is it worth my time trying to explain it in detail to others when there is so much information out there that I’ve been able to go through myself, that they could use to find out for themselves?
    I would have to research it in more detail to be able to provide relevant feedback on it’s capabilities. Don’t get me wrong, I love helping people. which is what I’ve tried to do. But I also have to be careful too, if you know what I mean.

Honestly, i don’t know if it’s going to go well or not – in a short time, yes it has in that I’ve made extra contacts and referrals (examples in previous posts) It’s still a very early stage for me, but I’m willing to give it a go. I enjoy doing a bit of research that may (or may not) help me to expand and grow. I’m putting in some time to find that out for myself. Putting aside a bit of time to explore. But as I said before, and I’m sure you can understand, I don’t want to put TOO much time against it.

I’ve tried to help a little for those who don’t quite understand it (and yes I’m still learning myself) but I don’t want to be a personal tutor either. However, after my experiment, and if I find that it does stand out as a viable marketing tool, then I will report back :o) But I must stress, it’s an individual thing, what works for one, will not necessarily work for another.

And… even if I did come back with all the details of how well it’s worked for me… would that really make that much difference to you? :o)

I hope my posts don’t sound nasty or like I’m having a go at you for not participating – that is in no way my intent. I enjoy a little cheeky humour on the odd occasion. So I apologise now, if any of my posts were taken out of context. :o)

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

loving this discussion! I’m rather new to twitter myself, but have found it absolutely fascinating (and somewhat addictive!!). So what can you use it for in your business?

Well in the last week I’ve discovered you can…

• set up daily tweets in advance (I’m sharing tips for stress management for business owners at the moment)
    • find jv partners and other collaborators by typing keywords into the search function
    • do market research by asking questions about whatever you want to know
    • find out about new resources from new people in your network
    • set up ezine articles to feed your twitter account so that your articles are automatically promoted – no extra work required!
    • put your twitter feed through to your website and facebook accounts so as to spread your expertise even further
    • start positioning yourself as an expert by sharing info and links

and that’s just what I’ve learned this week – just think what a real twitter expert could do!!

It’s fun and intriguing – and really not too hard to master the basics – if you get on and give it a go you’ll find its relatively intuitive. Also, a google search on how to use twitter for business brings up some fabulous resources…

cheers
    Lisa

JodieR
    Up

LOL you say it SO much better than my waffle :o)

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Jodie, you are forgiven!!!!

OK, so I was just throwing a bit of your own “stir them to action” talk back at you. And there in what you say is a lot of the point. We in business do have to be careful with our time. I get a lot of technical news feeds every day. It’s certainly useful to me but it takes up a lot of time and I have to be economical about what I do read and investigate.

Please do report back when you can and if anyone else is inspired please let us know of your experiences.

JodieR
    Up

*grins*

Just linking up another twitter thread here:

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/615-twitter-tips.html#post4123

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Thank you Jodie.
    When I eventually get some free time I will play with it to see if has any benefit for the association. From reading the posts it could link likeminded people and therefore help build the association.

So i shall look into this a little further. I find that unless you play with a new challenge you wont learn. Trying to take in all that has been said unfortunately as one gets older the brain dosent absorb as much as it used to but there is a challenge and I love a challenge
    Patrick

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Just found the Twitter Handbook – free download – haven’t read it yet, but looks comprehensive – 169 pages of talk about how to use 140 characters… interesting!!

http://twitterhandbook.com

have fun… make money…
    cheers
    Lisa

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.