Home – New Forums Marketing mastery FlyingSolo TV Show – good idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    ::

If it’s “so easy” to do – why don’t members make and post their own videos and post them online?
    Can you make a tag (or channel?) on Youtube and let members upload their own videos?

While I agree a vidcast could be a great idea – I think it’s really up to the flying solo admins if it’s the right thing “for them” to do.

It’s easy to say in a forum post it doesn’t take much time and effort. I challenge anyone who hasn’t done similiar things before to do a single interview style video and post it – and record how much time and effort it takes.

The flying solo admins (I beleive) have displayed high quality and integrity in everything they have done. I don’t beleive they would be happy posting video taken on a smartphone with poor lighting and sound quality and possibly little preparation (just my opinion :))

David@Verve Recruitment
    • Total posts: 247
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 99683 wrote:
    I have never run a forum, but I would suspect it only seems that way because they are doing a good job of it. I bet there’s a whole lot of work they have to do we don’t see.

Well, yes. I’ve never run a forum either so I have absolutely no idea, but compared to other sites that are riddled with issues this one seems to be all set up. I’m just making the point that their ship appears to be in order and that as such they’re perhaps in a position to focus on new ventures. Perhaps it’s a complete mess back there, who knows.

ray_223, post: 99686 wrote:
    If it’s “so easy” to do – why don’t members make and post their own videos and post them online?

I don’t think anyone believes that it could be done in 5 minutes flat. Sure it will be a project that will need planning, resources, will have hiccups and may not work out quite as planned. But at the same time it’s not going to be quite as difficult as building the Sydney Harbour bridge.

They don’t have to use a mobile phone as a camera, but they don’t have to invest in a $50,000 3D HD extravangaza cam either. I was just suggesting that there are cheap and easy options. They have little viddycams that are designed specifically for web media and they literally cost under $200, and are HD – which means are generally good quality, as far as I understand.

I suppose none of the users here would be bold enough to do the venture themselves as I’m sure we each have other things to focus on, and I doubt any of the users here own or run their own small business focused discussion forum, whereas FlyingSolo do.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks David and all. This has been something we’ve been pondering in the background and as Peter has said we’ve amassed a fair few videos in our video section.

We have plans to instigate a number of new initiatives in 2012 and while video is on the list it’s unlikely to be the first we get to.

We are currently working on scoping out our mobile site presence; some improvements to our membership offering and some fairly major behind-the-scenes site enhancements.

While video production need not be overtly costly – we have most of the equipment necessary – it’s more to do with the time needed and importantly, determining the value to the community.

Through our Friday newsletter we have been inviting readers to submit their favourite (existing) videos, so please do contribute to this call out if you come across something you deem valuable to the community.

Just pop a note via this form.

Thank you for nudging us to constantly improve!

Robert

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

its easy to chase shiny objects like videos and whilst video marketing is taking over, the reality is that it just another TACTIC.

From what i’ve read below, there is a plan in place with a vision. video is important but clearly not urgent.

The problem with any projects is that resources are limited so priorities have to be established.

FS has a professional approach to their branding strategy so if they were to venture into videos, it would have to reflect the “personality” of the FS brand.

I enjoy watching the no bs videos. For those who are familiar with GKIC branding strategy, their videos are well aligned.

We can learn from this as solo preneurs ie not to chase shiny objects until and unless they can measurably and tangibly contribute to our strategic plan (assuming we have one).

Too often, people use hammer when they need a paint brush and then blame the hammer for not doing the “job”.

Robert Gerrish, post: 99690 wrote:
    Thanks David and all. This has been something we’ve been pondering in the background and as Peter has said we’ve amassed a fair few videos in our video section.

We have plans to instigate a number of new initiatives in 2012 and while video is on the list it’s unlikely to be the first we get to.

We are currently working on scoping out our mobile site presence; some improvements to our membership offering and some fairly major behind-the-scenes site enhancements.

While video production need not be overtly costly – we have most of the equipment necessary – it’s more to do with the time needed and importantly, determining the value to the community.

Through our Friday newsletter we have been inviting readers to submit their favourite (existing) videos, so please do contribute to this call out if you come across something you deem valuable to the community.

Just pop a note via this form.

Thank you for nudging us to constantly improve!

Robert

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

I don’t think anyone was suggesting using a smart phone to video

All the video seen in this video however is from a 14 Yea old (yes 14 years old) video camera from Sony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z0EHXvA6mJU

sure parts are not high quality (but it does sell)

time is the big thing when you not 100% sure what you are doing, organising people to come and go is no fun- editing is not that hard, waiting for the upload is not that hard but organising people to come in, investigating the business and setting the right questions without it being advertorial thats the hard and time consuming part.

To be honest who is the market for this video?

I am a small business but I really am not selling to other small business, (people on this forum are not my customers I charge far too much) and my knowledge or lack of can be typed

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

One of the things you might want to consider is your market. There are business owners out there who don’t read so won’t populate a forum but might consider watching a video or even listening to an audio while working.

MartinN
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Video is very time intensive; maybe if the show had a sponsor. I don’t think you can have it all – either it’s high quality or cheaper-looking quickies. If you try for the high quality but don’t invest the time and money then it will look bad.

What I see as being more effective would be a FS radio show – streamed lived say 1 hour a week (maybe you’re already doing something like that).

I think it’s more immediate, people can interact and the talk/topics/news can be fresh.

Just thinking …

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    MartinN, post: 100409 wrote:
    Video is very time intensive; maybe if the show had a sponsor. I don’t think you can have it all – either it’s high quality or cheaper-looking quickies. If you try for the high quality but don’t invest the time and money then it will look bad.

What I see as being more effective would be a FS radio show – streamed lived say 1 hour a week (maybe you’re already doing something like that).

I think it’s more immediate, people can interact and the talk/topics/news can be fresh. Just thinking …

Thanks everyone for their ideas and feedback here. We are exploring ways to create quality video content. Martin, interestingly the interactive radio idea is one we’d love to get up and running next year… stay tuned ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.