Home – New Forums Other discussions Focus, Motivation, Drive, a reason not to hang myself !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    ::
    Tedious, post: 108254 wrote:
    Its 5 am i haven’t slept and i have worksafe coming for a follow up inspection at 10am to review material safety data sheets and procedures, Keep in mind i still have another 20 pages to write up ( which should have been done weeks ago. )

Its just a case of their isn’t enough hours in the day… or night for that matter. I know you need to balance work with pleasure or you’ll just simply burn out.

But in my case at the moment i cant afford to outsource anything, i cant just simply take a break or my world will implode in on itself.

okay Drew, I hate to state the bleeding obvious, but do you think that this

Tedious, post: 0 wrote:
    I’m about half way through building a website which will be selling new & secondhand car parts similar to an online car wreckers website

may have something to do with the fact that you don’t have enough time to manage your other business which is, according to you,

…in a bad way cash wise atm…

Personally, I think you should deal with your problems in your current business first. The website and new venture can wait.

Just my 2c

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    Tedious, post: 108254 wrote:
    Its 5 am i haven’t slept and i have worksafe coming for a follow up inspection at 10am to review material safety data sheets and procedures, Keep in mind i still have another 20 pages to write up ( which should have been done weeks ago. )

Its just a case of their isn’t enough hours in the day… or night for that matter. I know you need to balance work with pleasure or you’ll just simply burn out.

But in my case at the moment i cant afford to outsource anything, i cant just simply take a break or my world will implode in on itself.

okay Drew, I hate to state the bleeding obvious, but do you think that this

Tedious, post: 0 wrote:
    I’m about half way through building a website which will be selling new & secondhand car parts similar to an online car wreckers website

may have something to do with the fact that you don’t have enough time to manage your other business which is, according to you,

…in a bad way cash wise atm…

Personally, I think you should deal with your problems in your current business first. The website and new venture can wait.

Just my 2c

Wendy :)

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Drew,

Here’s my 2 cents worth:

1). I would suggest you start paying your staff commission-based. That way they need to really work to earn their money. I’m not sure if replacing your staff is such a good idea. I have read a book written by the lady who brought out MOCKS (the socks for mobile phones) and she constantly (really constantly) replaced her staff and in only 2 years, she had the highest staff fluctuation rate possible.
    It may be necessary here and there but you can also fall into a trap of constantly thinking you need to replace your staff. Which can not only be very time consuming (interview process wise) but also cost you a lot of money (advertising vacancies and training new staff).
    Put it out there to your staff that you will be changing the pay system to commission-based – only paying them when the job gets done 100%, also considering if you had to look over it. Leave it up to them to quit or to stay. That will show you who’s really worth it and the bludgers will leave.

2). Take a deep breath and a step back. At the end of last year, I was nearly hyperventilating when I only thought of the workload ahead. I didn’t do anything business related during the Christmas break and took things slower. I am a little behind schedule of starting to sell but if I get sick because of all the stress I couldn’t do anything when I’m sick, could I?

A virtual assistant is a good idea. Send me a PM if you need a suggestion. And also outsourcing your website building.

If you do decide to keep your staff, a team building workshop may be a good idea. It doesn’t have to cost the world. Canoeing or something like this, competing against each other in teams etc…

All the best!

Regards,
    Mel

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Drew,

Here’s my 2 cents worth:

1). I would suggest you start paying your staff commission-based. That way they need to really work to earn their money. I’m not sure if replacing your staff is such a good idea. I have read a book written by the lady who brought out MOCKS (the socks for mobile phones) and she constantly (really constantly) replaced her staff and in only 2 years, she had the highest staff fluctuation rate possible.
    It may be necessary here and there but you can also fall into a trap of constantly thinking you need to replace your staff. Which can not only be very time consuming (interview process wise) but also cost you a lot of money (advertising vacancies and training new staff).
    Put it out there to your staff that you will be changing the pay system to commission-based – only paying them when the job gets done 100%, also considering if you had to look over it. Leave it up to them to quit or to stay. That will show you who’s really worth it and the bludgers will leave.

2). Take a deep breath and a step back. At the end of last year, I was nearly hyperventilating when I only thought of the workload ahead. I didn’t do anything business related during the Christmas break and took things slower. I am a little behind schedule of starting to sell but if I get sick because of all the stress I couldn’t do anything when I’m sick, could I?

A virtual assistant is a good idea. Send me a PM if you need a suggestion. And also outsourcing your website building.

If you do decide to keep your staff, a team building workshop may be a good idea. It doesn’t have to cost the world. Canoeing or something like this, competing against each other in teams etc…

All the best!

Regards,
    Mel

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Ok, I think the important thing to remember is that all this advice is based on the limited info we have about your situation. Only you can really decide what will work for you.

So here is another ‘out of the box’ idea.

Why don’t you give your employees a stake in the business? Let’s face it, if it is not making anything, it doesn’t really matter that much, but if you can get their buy in, and give them ownership/accountability, they will improve because they want to, not because you told them to.

You mentioned you set out some new practices, but did you sit down and discuss with them what might be the most efficient way to do things. Yes, the end goal has to be that you are not watching over their every move, but you need to take them along for the journey, otherwise you will always be carrying dead weight.

In relation to the other business idea – just remember the grass is always greener. I have a ton of ideas that I constantly think ‘This could make me the next Bill Gates’ but in reality, my current business is going well, and if I keep my focus on the one area, it certainly improves how well.

I have spent many an hour in front of the computer, head in hands wondering how the hell I am going to turn this around. At one point, I had no equipment – That’s like trying to run a car garage without electricity! I only got through it by changing my mindset, thinking outside of the square and making it happen.

Your team will make or break it for you. Right now they are the key to your continued success in this business, and the lifestyle that you want in the future. Find out what it is going to take to get them on board and make it happen.

Best of luck

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Ok, I think the important thing to remember is that all this advice is based on the limited info we have about your situation. Only you can really decide what will work for you.

So here is another ‘out of the box’ idea.

Why don’t you give your employees a stake in the business? Let’s face it, if it is not making anything, it doesn’t really matter that much, but if you can get their buy in, and give them ownership/accountability, they will improve because they want to, not because you told them to.

You mentioned you set out some new practices, but did you sit down and discuss with them what might be the most efficient way to do things. Yes, the end goal has to be that you are not watching over their every move, but you need to take them along for the journey, otherwise you will always be carrying dead weight.

In relation to the other business idea – just remember the grass is always greener. I have a ton of ideas that I constantly think ‘This could make me the next Bill Gates’ but in reality, my current business is going well, and if I keep my focus on the one area, it certainly improves how well.

I have spent many an hour in front of the computer, head in hands wondering how the hell I am going to turn this around. At one point, I had no equipment – That’s like trying to run a car garage without electricity! I only got through it by changing my mindset, thinking outside of the square and making it happen.

Your team will make or break it for you. Right now they are the key to your continued success in this business, and the lifestyle that you want in the future. Find out what it is going to take to get them on board and make it happen.

Best of luck

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Sounds like you need to organise yourself. have you read Getting Things Done yet?

If you are working so many hours and dont have money to outsource, something is very wrong with your business strategy.

Start with a virtual private assistant based in the phillipines. share the cost if you have to with others.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Sounds like you need to organise yourself. have you read Getting Things Done yet?

If you are working so many hours and dont have money to outsource, something is very wrong with your business strategy.

Start with a virtual private assistant based in the phillipines. share the cost if you have to with others.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.