Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Follow up emails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    ::

I think I should do follow up-emails. the first one some days after the plants have likely arrived and ask if they are happy with their purchase and so on. The second one after 3 months asking if the plants are still alive and thriving and the third one later to ask if they are actually using the herbs. I would like to link the feedback somehow with reviews (if the customer agrees on that)… Is that realistic? and can mail chimp (the paid version) do that? Is mailchimp the best option?

BrandArchitect
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi there

This is a good example of relationship marketing. So ensuring that you connect with the customer at critical times post purchase, not just pre-purchase. This definitely helps create a positive customer experience which in turn creates advocacy and increase referral. Yes you can set up trigger based emails based on the rules you set. I am not sure if the free version of mail chimp with allow this but there are plenty of email marketing systems that do. Start by asking mail chimp and also get some quotes for others. Campaign monitor is another fairly easy to use system, they may have that function, but it is a paid system.

All the best.
    Kristy

heftzwecke
    Up

Thanks, no it is the paid version of mailchimp only. I have a look at campaign monitor too.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 245656, member: 88078 wrote:
    The second one after 3 months asking if the plants are still alive and thriving ?

Ok, I’m going to ask the question, Do you really want to know? Or more importantly do you want to open a can of worms for yourself?

I can’t find the copy of the report I had, but a nursery owner that I knew, did a survey of their clients a few years back in regards to the life span of plants after leaving the nursery.

Just from memory, so the figures are dodgy, but

• some 15 or 20% never actually got into the ground and were dead within weeks,
    • another 10 or more % were dead within a couple of months even though they had being planted, but neglected.
    • And something like 6 months it was another 10% or so gone.

The plants were all top quality, it concerned them that much that they actually contacted a large number of the clients, and they all admitted neglect on their part, but my concern for you would you be opening a can of worms of complaints about poor quality plants.

Personally when I buy plants for myself or have excess after planting for a client, most fall in the first 2 categories. My philosophy for my own garden is if you cant survive with neglect you don’t belong.

heftzwecke
    Up

That is a very valid point and I thought of this myself! However I get good feedback at markets – I grow my plants in the open without shade cloth or something. But yes maybe I should let number three out because it is risky.
    (For yourself: I pop all the plants who wait to get in the garden under an automatic watering system. They can stay there several months without damage. It is easy to setup even I can do it)

troysteele
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    bb1, post: 245685, member: 53375 wrote:
    some 15 or 20% never actually got into the ground and were dead within weeks,
    • another 10 or more % were dead within a couple of months even though they had being planted, but neglected.
    • And something like 6 months it was another 10% or so gone.

Isn’t that an opening to educate and maybe get the customer back to try again?

You could also be more proactive with regular tips on how you should be managing that plant at that particular time too. That keeps both you and the plant at the top-of-mind which might prevent the plant deaths :p

If you find they want low maintenance ones and first purchase didn’t suit then that’s an opportunity to give them advice on low maintenance plants too – which they can buy from you.

I would be emailing them way more often than 3 times in a year as they’ll forget about you. Don’t be more worried about offending one person who probably won’t buy over another who might buy. If you use an email solution that can track sales from email then you can split your customers into different lists anyway so eventually you’ll have a list of repeat buyers who don’t mind emails and others who bought in the past but are stagnant. Send the drawn out follow-ups to the stagnant list but be regular with the repeat buyer list.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 245707, member: 88078 wrote:
    (For yourself: I pop all the plants who wait to get in the garden under an automatic watering system. They can stay there several months without damage. It is easy to setup even I can do it)

LOL, I have set up many for my clients, but like a motor mechanic, you let your own fall apart.

heftzwecke
    Up

Troy, that was actually what popped in my mind right now. I will have to tweak that around.. I cannot send different emails for all the 138 different plants I have at the moment (and there are more in the row). But what I figured out was an email after a week: did you plant your herbs already? Did you water, please water once a week for two months or something like that.
    I am looking at apps for that (cheap enough) and I am loocking at mailchimp and campaign monitor, what do you think of these apps?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 245805, member: 88078 wrote:
    Troy, that was actually what popped in my mind right now. I will have to tweak that around.. I cannot send different emails for all the 138 different plants I have at the moment (and there are more in the row). But what I figured out was an email after a week: did you plant your herbs already? Did you water, please water once a week for two months or something like that.
    I am looking at apps for that (cheap enough) and I am loocking at mailchimp and campaign monitor, what do you think of these apps?
    Have a look also at Active Campaign – it is very powerful and reasonably priced.
    troysteele
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Apologies for the delay. I set my clients up on ontraport but it’s quite a bit more expensive than Mailchimp. GetResponse has added marketing automation to their plans now and it does look quite good as well and is affordable. I haven’t used Campaign Monitor so can’t really comment – it is popular though.

I don’t think you have to be too specific with your instructions; just receiving an email from you should remind them that they bought plants so you could even just include a genuinely useful tip along with your weekly specials or something along those lines. The watering tip is a good way to start that off.

Any of the good marketing automation tools will let you assign people to different lists based on the product they buy so if you find someone buying herbs, they might receive different emails to someone buying roses or natives. It doesn’t have to be product based but category based may work. That extra work depends on how many sales you make and the buying patterns of your customers. You can do other cools stuff as well to try and win back ‘lost’ customers. If someone hasn’t visited your site in 12 months then you can send them an offer to freshen them up. Very useful for online stores.

*Note that the delivery rates are just as important as the features for an email marketing tool so research that too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.