Home – New Forums New here? Share your story food catering business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mtan
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

I m new in the business, actually I have not started any. but I m planning to start soon. I would like to get some advise of how to get it started.

My idea is to make some food packaging to introduce to supermarket or some local food company to sell my products. like authentic sambal chili sauce, dips and salsa sauce. Marinating sauce for BBQ meat or poultry.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Mtan

Where are you going to start your business? What part of Australia are you in?

Robert

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Mtan

Welcome to the forum.

Steve

Mr Blogging
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Mtan!
    Like you, I was also in the food industry. I’ve personally seen and witnessed all the hard work involved with such businesses. Some make profit, most don’t btw. One thing for sure though, it’s Hard work all the way. I would think twice if I were you!
    How much do you plan on investing to start-up? How much capital have to got to work with? I suppose if your still keen on the idea, then I would suggest your local chamber of commerce of some of the like.
    Wishing you Good Luck in your ventures!

Simon

Mtan, post: 128228 wrote:
    I m new in the business, actually I have not started any. but I m planning to start soon. I would like to get some advise of how to get it started.

My idea is to make some food packaging to introduce to supermarket or some local food company to sell my products. like authentic sambal chili sauce, dips and salsa sauce. Marinating sauce for BBQ meat or poultry.

Lawyer-Matthew-1
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Hi Mtan

Do you have any questions regarding the legal aspects of your new business?

TempKitchenRent
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi MTAN

Broadly speaking and to state the obvious it all depends of your start up capital in order to establish the direction of your business plan.

From experience in bringing a number of products into all the supermarket chains in the past, I strongly advise you to consider all other alternatives, unless you have a considerable financial backing required for the cut throat discounts and promotions that you are obliged to undertake at their will, you have an army of merchandisers to make sure your products are displayed at all or at least in their designated planogram spaces, and a marketing budget to cover the areas that your products are stocked, etc..

I would initially concentrate in proving your products popularity, and viability with a minimal investment.

There are a number of options, one is the contract manufacture deal, where you contract a manufacturer to produce and package your products, I am not sure of what the minimum order is but to make it cost effective it will have to be a substantial production run, requiring a large order and a very likely COD payment. In this option you loose the control over production.

The other option is to start producing smaller amounts in a commercial kitchen, where you rent the kitchen on an hourly base, and sell the products to gourmet grocers, delicatessens, butcher shops and Farmers/ Food markets.

When I started selling to the supermarket chains some years ago, I inadvertently ignored my “small customer base” and after 2 years I found that the supermarket chains comprised of 97% of my business.

The longer I supplied them the poorer I became, because of the never ending cycle of “promotions” that totally drained the small margins left after all the deductions they took.

At the end and at the risk of loosing the business, I called all the buying executives, of all the different chains and informed them that we will no longer supply them.

I managed to rebuild and recover, and have since applied a basic rule for that operation that I would not let any client be more than 10% of the total business.

You must do thorough market research, and careful costing, which includes a salary for everyone that is involved in the business, and a balancing act between quality, price and innovation/differentiation.

Good luck
    Gus

earthseacreative
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Good luck in your venture. There’s a wealth of knowledge on the forums which I’m site will benefit your research.

Kind regards

Merryn Padgett
    Founder & Virtual Personal Assistant
    Earth & Sea Consulting

[email protected] http://www.earthandsea.com.au
    http://facebook.com/EarthSeaConsulting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.