Home – New Forums Logistics Food Import Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    shawn07
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I’m happy that I found this website and hope someone can share some experience.

My family runs a snack (crackers) manufacturing business in Malaysia and I’m planning to import them into Australia. Our current target market is the oriental supermarket in Perth as where I based and hoping to expand it to other states in the future. Instead of approaching the local importers, I’m hoping to import them myself and distribute it to the wholesaler.

In my current research stage, I have the following questions:

1) How does the inspection/quarantine process works in Department of Agriculture? How strict and how long does it take?

2) Would you guys suggest to appoint a custom broker to handle the shipment or that can be done by myself easily?

This is only the initial stage of planning and would really appreciate if I can get some info from this forum :) The first step is always the toughest……

Cheers
    Shawn

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to Flying Solo! Best of luck with your venture and hopefully some of our importing experts will chime in with some advice.

Great to have you aboard. :)

Dave

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Welcome!

To import anything yourself you have to go through a customs broker, though usually transport companies have their own team of brokers on sight and can perform all the logistics for a package price.

The key to importing as a I have mentioned many times in my posts is FCL (full container) anything under then it’s at risk of products being stolen from handlers at the docks because to make money they will try to fill your container up. God know’s we are already paying to much for air as it is *hint* carbon tax *hint* so don’t pay for a half full container.

I also operate a distribution company in food and beverage in Sydney and to match competitors prices it has to be real cheap to import because a competitor could probably parallel import the product from within your country and without your families power over it. This would mean a competitor with more money could order 2 containers of it and recieve container pricing compared to bulk wholesale pricing in Australia..

Container price and wholesale/bulk price is to very different things.

Cheers and welcome! Hopefully it’s an excellent product and we see it over here in Sydney!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.