Home – New Forums Starting your journey ‘For’ or ‘4’???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BellaChic
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

I’m looking at starting an online ‘budget’ makeup store, and I am looking at calling it ‘Beauty for Less’. But it’s the ‘for’ that is giving me grief – since I am marketing towards the young, YouTube generation would it be better to call it ‘Beauty 4 Less’?

My first thought would be potential issues with misspelling the domain name, but it seems really common these days so maybe that’s not a problem. What’s the standard these days for numbers replacing letters?

VideoTraining
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Hey Bella,

Given that domain names cost you around $10/year – why not register both and then work out which way you want to go.

The can redirect one to the other quite easily.

This also helps to keep the competition away from your business by using a similar name.

I just checked and both of these domain names are available.

I would recommend that you act quickly!

Kind regards,

Tony Morris
    http://www.DVDcoach.com
    Online Computer Training Made Easy

BellaChic
    Up

Thanks for the reply Tony! Registering both names is smart, I’ll definitely do that. But I still don’t know whether the business name should have ‘for’ or ‘4’ – any advice on that? Is it more ‘trendy’ to have the number?

VideoTraining
    Up

Given your target demographic, I would have gone with a number.

I will refer this to some of the marketing people on this site who are far smarted than I am on this topic! :-)

Kind regards,

Tony Morris

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Good thinking about registering both domains, Tony!

Hello BellaChic

I’m always loath to use or recommend using numbers in lieu of letters but since you are marketing to a younger, hipper crowd than would include the likes of ME, I would go for the ‘4’! :)

Pity you can’t use symbols in domain names, or you could have used:

beauty4<

Ok, just kidding!! All the best with it, whether beauty4less or beautyforless. Come to think of it, beauty4less really does look better, especially for the age group!

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi,

my business is shop1auto. Sometimes when quoting email addresses etc, you have to say thats the digit 1 but you would have to say that with whatever you go for.

The thing I like about a number is it acts as a separator in web address between the words

In beauty4less the 2 key words leap out at a glance where as beautyforless my brain will first create ‘beauty forless’ before correcting it. Maybe that’s because I’m male and therefore only acknowledge verbs and nouns.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

BellaChic
    Up

Gina and Steve, I think you’ve just sold me. Gina, I agree that it looks better, and Steve you make a great point about the word separation and creating focus on the key terms ‘beauty’ and ‘less’.

Great teamwork everyone! *high five*

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Back atcha!! *high five*

Now I’ll go and bow my head in shame for recommending a number be used in place of a letter; wordmistress indeed!

Have a great day! :)

BellaChic
    Up

Ha ha! I know, I feel a little bit dirty… yet trendy at the same time :)

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

I like ‘Beauty for Less’

It looks more professional and trustworthy.

‘Beauty 4 Less’

I’m not the demographic so the name ‘Beauty 4 Less’ does not work for me.
    What happens in a year or 2 when the trend is over? Would the name still be cool and hip?

You are saying you are targeting the young, I’m assuming they are female.
    I think you should go around and ask a whole bunch of them and see what the result is.

kenmac
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

It’s always a good idea to have your main keyword in your domain name URL as it can help your ranking, but more importantly have your keywords/phrases in your Page Titles.

Personally, I like BeautyForLess. Make sure you use initial capitals for easy recognition whichever one you choose.

Have you thought about MakeupForLess or Makeup4Less since it’s a makeup store ? Seems to me that there may be more women searching for the word ‘makeup’ rather than the word ‘beauty’. I have no idea if they’re available though.

VideoTraining
    Up

Another valid angle.

And this is another reason why you should consider registering both domain names – you could either have 2 websites or switch from one ot the other if you ever needed to!

Btw, I don’t have any shares in a domain name registrar. :-)

Kind regards,

Tony Morris

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

As a grammar/word freak the ‘4’ thing (and similar ‘text’ type lingo) grates on me; but then again I work in editing. If you’re happy for Gen Y (and younger Gen Xers) to be your market then it’s probably ok (I think the comment that in two years time ‘4’ will likely have gone the way of so many other trendy expressions is very valid though). You might want to consider that by marketing so specifically to that demographic, you may be alienating a huge potential market i.e. people with ‘maturing skin’ like me. I guess what I’m trying to say is that the younger crowd probably won’t care which you choose, but the older market might.

Either way, I agree that registering both domains for now is the way to go.

SteveDavidson
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

“Beauty For Less” trading as “Beauty4Less”.

BellaChic
    Up

So I can have one as the registered name and one as the trading name? That would work, since I’ll be registering both domain names anyway. I must admit the old-school part of me likes Beauty For Less. I might get some logos designed and see which comes out better.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.