Home – New Forums New here? Share your story For the love of Sauce

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Etiennette
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I just found this website today and was hoping someone might know something that could help me. I have been making my own Jams and Sauces for sometime now and everyone that tries it tells me how amazing a different mine are. I would like to try selling these at market or online but worry about the ins and outs of selling food products. Does anyone know the legalities of this? Someone suggested I needed to send it away for testing to have the commercial information on the label but I just want a wee side business not a jam empire!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

The legalities vary from state to state I think you’ll find.

I’ve had some experience in Vic. There you’ll need to get your kitchen certified by the local health inspector (council employee usually), or use someone else’s that is.

You also need a food safety plan (available online for Vic) and a food handlers certificate (TAFE).

Probably won’t need testing, but if packaged for sale you’ll need the ingredients marked on the containers.

Stuff like jam is usually OK, it’s so high in sugar it’s considered pretty safe.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

If in Queensland you will need a food license from your local council since it involves food manufacture. Taking Brisbane City Council as an example you could be up for over $1000 just for the design and license application. It doesn’t mean your fees could be this high but an example of what’s involved. Also you need to make sure you are able to operate a business from your home, the main considerations is usually traffic coming and going from your residence, parking, waste disposal and things that might have affect on neighbours from odours, machine noise etc.

If you are producing jams and sauces designed for safe storage at room temperature till opened then the hurdle to getting a license and likely needing further certifications like safe food handling and independent testing won’t be an issue. If the sauces have to be refrigerated to prevent spoilage then you will likely have to get independent testing done for pathogens. You would have to at a minimum show to an inspector your procedures for sterilisation of bottles, the food prep area and appropriate ingredient storage places like fridges.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.