Home – New Forums Tech talk Formwork estimating software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    zillah
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Dear Experts

I work an estimator for a small formwork company.

Our work scope is medium size construction sites like : school extension , units, 3 story buildings,,,,,,etc

Right now I am estimating formwork manually but I am planning to use a software but don’t know which one

Budget is up to 1500 AUD

I have read the thread below which is since 2015 may be a bit old discussion

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/index.php?threads/builders-estimating-software.30344/

Can you please share your experience

Thanks

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Seems to be a run on estimating questions atm, can’t seem to escape my construction past.

I posted in the original thread, and I don’t think a whole lots changed.

I’m back doing a few take offs and I’m still using

http://www.quickeye.us

The license is $39.95 US a month…18% discount for a 6 month subscription…I assume you plan to be in business for 6 months.

I’ve been using it off and on for a few years and imo it’s the best and quickest for single trade take offs e.g. formwork.

If you’re mainly doing floors, you’ll do them in minutes once you get the hang of it.

All of them have a learning curve but most have too much crap in them you don’t need for single trades especially.

Quikeye gives you the option to do the take off on your “local” drive or on their servers. I tend to use their server as it means you have an auto backup…you can also share jobs with other users.

Even though their website appears a bit stone age, don’t let that fool you, they update and improve their service on a regular basis…the version I’m using now does a lot more than the one I started with years ago.

Part of the deal is a couple of sessions with Tom, a very nice guy and knows his stuff (he can actually log into a job your doing and show you in “real time” how to’s) he was a subby himself in the States so understands some of the issues.

Quickeye won’t make your dinner for you like some of the others claim to, but it can be bent to work the way you want to work (that’s the bit that keeps me using it), not the way some software genius thats never priced a job wants you to work.

Good luck with the selection.

Cheers

zillah
    Up

Thanks for this information Greg

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 250925, member: 38207 wrote:
    , not the way some software genius thats never priced a job wants you to work.

Greg totally unrelated to the original question, but I couldn’t help but comment on your comment, a spot on 200% correct observation. The number of times I have seen threads pop up here, saying I have created and fully developed this great tool that I think the xyz industry ”needs”, now how do I get the industry to buy it, test it, or even just play with it. And I always think what a dogs breakfast of a tool that will be.
    For any buddying developers engage the industry before you cut one single line of code (I’m showing my age).

Greg_M
    Up
    bb1, post: 250930, member: 53375 wrote:
    Greg totally unrelated to the original question, but I couldn’t help but comment on your comment, a spot on 200% correct observation. The number of times I have seen threads pop up here, saying I have created and fully developed this great tool that I think the xyz industry ”needs”, now how do I get the industry to buy it, test it, or even just play with it. And I always think what a dogs breakfast of a tool that will be.
    For any buddying developers engage the industry before you cut one single line of code (I’m showing my age).

Don’t get me started Bert…I think this says it all;

A woman asks her husband, a programmer, to go shopping.

Wife: “Dear, please, go to the nearby grocery store to buy some bread. Also, if they have eggs, buy 6.”
    Husband: “O.K., hun.”

Twenty minutes later the husband comes back bringing 6 loaves of bread. His wife is flabbergasted.

Wife: “Dear, why on earth did you buy 6 loaves of bread?”
    Husband: “They had eggs.”

“fit for purpose” in software (and a lot of other things) is pretty rare even these days but I know I’m old and grumpy.

BTW just to get my week off to a good start, I’ve not long returned from ripping strips of my favourite telco business centre for false advertising, the word “ombudsman” appeared to resolve it…so it’s not just software.

Cheers

Greg_M
    Up

Bit of an update for anyone looking for this type of software.

A broken Mac (that I’m not going to replace) has put me back in the market for a new application…the one I was/am recommending originally will work on Windows, but I don’t use Windows…leaving me with a Linux machine (no off the shelf software I can find)…so I need to go to Cloud based options.

In the mix I found http://costminer.com/ an Australian product with a reasonable monthly subscription in $AU, it’s actually substantially cheaper than the one I was licencing.

Early days but so far it seems ok, a bit counter intuitive after some others I’ve used but I actually quite like how it works once I figured some stuff out (by actually reading and viewing the tutorials instead of guessing).

zillah
    Up

Thanks Greg for your help and support

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.