Home Forums Other discussions Forum downgrade issues

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    greg___m
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3

Just wondering how long this spam ridden botfest can realistically continue. I do drop by occasionally to see what’s happening. I won’t bother again.

Any claim that issues are being rectified is a joke. What was once upon a time a great resource for soloists is now only a playground for “z” grade SEO practitioners to cop a cheap link.

It would have been a lot simpler to just delete the forum and retain some website value I’d say they’re now going to have to turn the server off soon or risk downgrading their other digital properties.

To anyone reading this that I have interacted with over the years of posting “thanks”.

Cheers Greg

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,461

What actually happened to destroy the forums like this??

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,160

Greg,

Am so with you on this.. i have been dropping in daily just to see if there is any improvement, at all, and alas none… Just checked one page and there was about 10 SPAMS with contact numbers.. Its just not a friendly place at the moment where one can actually contribute or learn from.

ALso, i notice time stamps are erratic…

Be well Greg

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    greg___m
    Participant

Dave, I think forums generally have probably fallen out of favour but imo this one drifted from ordinary solo or micro businesses asking all kinds of questions answered by similar businesses, to “experts” flogging their wares to the point of boredom, with little or no real relevance to your average soloist.

I also think the advent of corporate “political correctness” (the curse of my life) caused a lack of interest in any real argument or friction in the post…very boring for someone like me who works alone and used to use the Forum as a “water cooler” stop during my day.

And yes Jason, the timestamps are useless…seems the content is so heavily cached that I need to refresh a page twice to be sure I’m on the current post

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,461

Dave, I think forums generally have probably fallen out of favour but imo this one drifted from ordinary solo or micro businesses asking all kinds of questions answered by similar businesses, to “experts” flogging their wares to the point of boredom, with little or no real relevance to your average soloist.

I also think the advent of corporate “political correctness” (the curse of my life) caused a lack of interest in any real argument or friction in the post…very boring for someone like me who works alone and used to use the Forum as a “water cooler” stop during my day.

I meant more why the rebuild itself, and launching a half built new forum? Did something happen with the old forum code base or similar?

greg___m
    Participant

I meant more why the rebuild itself, and launching a half built new forum? Did something happen with the old forum code base or similar?

Not anything that was obvious to me. Earlier in this thread is the claim from an admin that it had become too old for cost effective maintenance…don’t think I ever saw any maintenance. There were some bugs that had been there since the previous iteration had been in existence and didn’t seem to bother anyone enough to fix them.

Whatever the rationale for the rebuild for my money it’s been a wasted effort, or at best a release that was way too early to be an effective improvement.

I think the proof is in who’s posting (or not)…apart from a couple of old hands prepared to persevere to say hello, and 43 million idiots who think it’s a win for their SEO ambitions I think it’s dead and gone.

JonoW-15
    • Total posts: 11

Not anything that was obvious to me. Earlier in this thread is the claim from an admin that it had become too old for cost effective maintenance…don’t think I ever saw any maintenance. There were some bugs that had been there since the previous iteration had been in existence and didn’t seem to bother anyone enough to fix them.

Whatever the rationale for the rebuild for my money it’s been a wasted effort, or at best a release that was way too early to be an effective improvement.

I think the proof is in who’s posting (or not)…apart from a couple of old hands prepared to persevere to say hello, and 43 million idiots who think it’s a win for their SEO ambitions I think it’s dead and gone.

Hi @greg___m

Thanks for the feedback, we’re currently working through a multiple issues flagged by members as a matter of urgency, one of those being spam/bot posts. Once we get this out of the way we’ll be able to work through more of the design/functionality changes.

In the last week we’ve re-introduced a number of key functions to deliver a similar forum functionality that the forum had previously. These include:

– Being able to see latest posts
    – Being able to quote other users
    – Post count against each member
    – Being able to tag other users with a list drop down

In regards to my comments made previously about the site not being cost-effective to maintain, the site had basically gotten to a point that it was so old that anything our developers touched would cause functions to break or additional issues.

We’re regularly making minor adjustments to the site, forums, navigation, subscription service, business profiles.
    The site had gotten to the point that we had significantly reduced ability to maintain the site for risk of it breaking other aspects of the site.

I really love the community that Flying Solo holds and really appreciate your patience and feedback while we rid ourselves of the horrible SEO bots and rebuild full forum functionality.

Cheers,
    Jono

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by JonoW-15.
    Forum Administrator
    Jason Ramage
    Participant

Trying to be interested and invested in the forum, although the lack of anything appears to have dissipated quite heavily with very few returning, contributing or even starting new conversations related to what the forum (IMO) was about..

Any updates? Or has the forum changed and/is changing so much that its wiping the slate clean?

Its quite sad really, was a good source of banter and collective knowledge… 🙁

@admin
    , is it worthwhile persevering? or is it beyond the forum of old and heading to a new role that is more monetised as opposed to helpful?

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,532

Hi @lucasarthur anything specific you want to flag apart from spam? Will be helpful if the developers can get a sense of the most pressing issues direct from members like yourself.

Personally I think the signatures are a big missing feature, because they help elevate a bunch of posts to a bunch of actual people talking.

Dave

JonoW-15

Trying to be interested and invested in the forum, although the lack of anything appears to have dissipated quite heavily with very few returning, contributing or even starting new conversations related to what the forum (IMO) was about..

Any updates? Or has the forum changed and/is changing so much that its wiping the slate clean?

Its quite sad really, was a good source of banter and collective knowledge… 🙁

@admin
    , is it worthwhile persevering? or is it beyond the forum of old and heading to a new role that is more monetised as opposed to helpful?

Hi @Lucasarthur,

We’ve implemented a couple of changes to decrease the spam post volume, we’re still trying to finalise this so that less slip through the net.

In regards to conversations/post volumes, we did experience a drop off in organic search traffic from launching the new forum which has now been restored. So hopefully with that we’ll see the conversations start kicking back off.

Forum signatures are top of our priority list as well as improving the navigation and notification prominence for the forum. Please feel free to shoot through any more feedback and thanks for flagging the issues you’re noticing.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by JonoW-15.
    Forum Administrator
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,477

bb1
    Participant

I just posted a reply to another thread, and it was slowwwwwwwwww.

bb1
    Participant

Don’t know if its mentioned anywhere but the report function for a post is gone, just spotted some spam but cant report it to admin’s, PS are there any admins left

JonoW-15

Hey @bb1 welcome back!

Good point about the report spam button, i’ll flag this one with the developers.

We’ve made great progress on a bunch of other changes to return functionality of the previous forum and to improve navigation for users. The admins are definitely still about!

Forum Administrator
    Jason Ramage
    Participant

@Dave_FS conceeirge

As requested issues I see with your downgraded forum, you may want to talk to your developers about what user testing was done, I have an idea.

There is no – New Posts option.
    The @Dave option doesnt work
    No quote previous post option.

Must admit I gave up trying any further if they cant get basics right, well you know my approach from previous comments.

My login problems were that it wouldnt accept my normal password, I tried a couple of forgotten password attempts, finally got an email on the 3rd attempt.

Just reaching out and checking on progress…. Post started about 2 months ago, and to be honest if there has been any improvements they must all be back end..

Is it just me, or are the vast percentage of posts still spam and self promotional…. with no ability to report as spam either and sit on post for quite some time?

Would be great to get some more updates along with seeing if this forum is getting the love it deserves?

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.