Home – New Forums Other discussions Forum legend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    ::

I’ve been looking around and please forgive me if I’ve missed it, but is there a legend somewhere that tells you what certain things mean or how to do something?

I’ve finally worked out where the thanks button is, duh. I haven’t noticed it till tonight. But what does ‘zap’ mean? I didn’t know if that was something bad or good.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

The zap button is if you want to report something. Once three people use the button the post is put on hold for the mods.

kathiemt
    Up

So how did you find that out? Is it written somewhere. I had no idea what it meant.

kathiemt
    Up

Actually, there was a second thing I wanted to ask and forgot! How do you find out which threads people have thanked you in? I get the notifications when someone has liked something I’ve written but I have no idea where I’ve been thanked.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Kathie – click on your Name at the top (login) to go to control panel and then on Statistics. You will find links to your posts and thanks (both thanked and your thanks) there.

Cheers.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Kathie,

As Suz mentioned, the zap button is an alternative way of reporting spam to us. You’re still able to use the Report Post button too, but the zap button is quicker for you, as you don’t need to include any text. And if three separate people zap a post, it will be taken offline until one of the FS team can check it out and decide whether to approve it or delete it. (It’s been around for a few months now, and there was a big discussion about it at the time, so I’m sorry you missed it!)

When someone thanks or likes you, you’ll see a notification at the top of your screen, just above the grey bar, below where it says “Welcome, kathiemt”, and in the spot where you usually see the notification about private messages.

If you click on that drop down you’ll see a tally of how many PMs, how many likes, and how many thanks etc you’ve received. Click on that line of the drop down and you’ll go to a big list of them, which is hyperlinked back to the original threads. (You need to click on each of those links to take the notifications back down to zero).

Hope that helps, but please let me know if you’d like more info.

Cheers,
    Jayne

kathiemt
    Up

Ok, thanks. I had missed the discussion re the ‘zap’ so didn’t know what it meant. Re the stats, have found it now. I was looking in the control panel and couldn’t find it anywhere but clicking on my own name shows me the stats tab and I could find it there. Thank you.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

It was one of those things you had to be around for or else you missed it. One of the drawbacks (or positives depending on your point of view) is that threads don’t hang around on the New Posts button, they leave that area after a few hours and if no-one revives them they languish.

kathiemt
    Up

I did look before I started this thread but couldn’t find a forum legend anywhere. Since there are always new people joining, perhaps it would be a good idea for one to be listed somewhere, as a sticky about the forum, or in the control panel or somewhere…

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

Just as an aside. I always misread the title on this thread and can’t help wondering who’s been so useful or so prolific that they’ve been given the title of legend.

kathiemt
    Up

:D That’s funny Suz. Never occurred to me. When you work with spreadsheets and other things and they use legends to indicate what the colours mean on a chart it’s the first thing I think of.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

I know about legends in spreadsheets but I deal with words and forums more so that’s the first thing that popped out to me. It’s just interesting, I don’t want you to rename the thread or anything.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Kathie,

Thanks for the feedback as always :)

With so many features and buttons, vBulletin is a web at times trying to work out how everything works. I’m still finding new features as we go. One area that does give a pretty good summary of how the standard features work is the FAQ link in the grey bar at the top of the page.

We totally agree that the label of the ‘I say zap’ button is not very intuitive, so what we’re going to do is change it to say ‘Flag as spam’ so it’s a bit clearer as to what it does. If you see anything dodgy just hit the button and we’ll get a report.

By the way, this button only appears for people with over 50 posts so not everyone will know what we’re talking about!

Alternatively, the standard ‘report post’ link on all posts will get us the message too.

Thanks again
    Peter

kathiemt
    Up

Actually Peter, I nearly clicked on it for one of my own posts, just to find out what it was for :). I didn’t know if it was a cool thing or a bad thing, which is why I thought I’d ask.

That FAQ list is a looong list.

Cheers,

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 123442 wrote:
    I nearly clicked on it for one of my own posts, just to find out what it was for :). I didn’t know if it was a cool thing or a bad thing!

Ha! Yes, it is confusing :) But don’t worry, we manually check all ‘zaps’ anyway and it takes a couple before it comes offline so no permanent damage can be done done. I think the ‘spam’ title will make it clearer.
    Thx!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.