Home – New Forums New here? Share your story franchise or not

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    alirounder
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris and I am looking to start my own business in Carpet Cleaning. I am not sure how to go about setting up this business, whether to start on my own or to purchase a franchise. Anyone can help me to decide?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Hi Chris,

Ultimately, that decision is yours alone to make. But if you search “franchise” through the search function in the grey panel above, you’ll get lots of different views that might help you decide.

Good luck
    Wendy :)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    alirounder, post: 84021 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris and I am looking to start my own business in Carpet Cleaning. I am not sure how to go about setting up this business, whether to start on my own or to purchase a franchise. Anyone can help me to decide?

i think this website will be of great assistance to you: http://accii.com.au/

best of luck with everything.

Spider
    • Total posts: 95
    Up

Starting your own unrestricted business would be better in 99/100 cases.

Of course, this depends on your goals also.
    Some people have a goal of owning a franchise, whether it makes money or not…

Trevor Monaghan
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

It really depends in your ambition, drive and creativity.

If you lack any of the above you may be better suited to a franchise, but even then, if you lack any of this traits you will also fall short as a franchisee.

I have owned a franchise myself, which I have since sold. I actually didn’t like the rigid nature of the systems. I know that’s supposed to be the value in buying a franchise, but there’s no such thing as a perfect system and the market changes rapidly these days. So it comes down to the willingness of the franchisor to innovate and take you for the ride, which almost never happens.

You have to look at how the franchise started. Often it was a fast growing business that had a creative, innovative leader who made things happen quickly. Then once the business got to a certain size the owner franchised it as an EXIT plan. Not always a physical exit, but often an emotional one, which means the passion can disappear at the top.

The other thing to consider is that many (not necessarily the majority) franchisors are in the core business of selling franchises, so they can overlook the real customers of the business.

All of this depends on the specific franchise you are looking at, and if you pursue it further, don’t bother asking for a list of franchisees to call, just look them up and put them on the spot. In my experience franchisees are more than happy to offer the truth if you ask them directly.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

alirounder
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback. I have decided to go it alone.
    I will be doing the training course with Jena Dyco soon.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    alirounder, post: 85543 wrote:
    Thanks for all your feedback. I have decided to go it alone.
    I will be doing the training course with Jena Dyco soon.

Good on you for making a decision and moving forward. All the best with your new business!

Cheers,
    John

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

Good on you for making the choice to start from a scratch.

I just wanted to make a note about franchises. If you buy from a good franchisor who genuinly looks after their franchisees you could save a lot of money on marketing and leads. Also you have someone to turn to if you have any problems or need advice. There are many other positives if you buy the right franchise but I’m not going to into it since you have decide to make it on your own.

franchisingplus
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    Hi Everyone,

Hi Chris. Franchising can be the best option for an inexperienced business person. However a good system is paramount.
    Not wanting to give a hard sell, but my new book The F World -Franchising. The best, the worst and the scary, gives a warts and all account of the best and worst of franchising and the pitfalls to avoid.
    http://franchisingplus.com.au/fworld/
    Enjoy!

Pinnacle TMS
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Chris – Good luck with taking the big step! Just wanted to say make sure you select a good unique name for your business and have it searched to confirm it is available to use and register as a trade mark before you go ahead with web designing, printed matter etc. If it is available, then have it registered as a trade mark so you actually own the brand and can stop your competitors from copying you. Only having a business name registration does not give you ownership of the name/brand. Down the track you can then do your own franchise business – you never know! :D Cheers, Suzanne

David Martin
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

The franchise MUST deliver more in service, systems, branding, marketing etc than what you pay in fees. Some do, some don’t. Those that do will ensure you leverage your time and money and that you get at least an adequate ROI.

Please also consider whether you prefer team sport or playing on your own. Franchising’s a team game. Some Franchisors are better at the game than others.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.