Home – New Forums Starting your journey Franchising. Good or bad Idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DarrenF
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi, I am currently considering whether or not to buy into a franchise business.
    I currently work in the gardening industry for a private contractor but think its time I went out on my own. I’ve been looking into franchises such as Jims and VIP and on the face of it they look pretty solid but from viewing other forums there are a lot of people slating the whole franchise idea and recommend doing it from scratch yourself.
    I would appreciate other people’s thoughts on this, especially if they have gone done the franchise route and succeeded or failed and where left with a mountain of debt.
    Thanks Darren

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

HI Darren

I have clients who have done really well out of franchising and others who have taken a bath.

I would thoroughly recommend taking an existing franchisee out for a beer for an honest insider’s story. Do that several times in each and that will help you get an insider’s view.

D

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the Flying Solo forums.

I think Darryl’s advice is pretty sound. I would also suggest having a browse of the search results on the topic of franchising, and reckon the podcast, in particular, is worth a listen.

Best of luck.

Sam

DarrenF
    Up

Thanks guys I will check out those links, and as Darryl had suggested I’m meeting with a Jims guy I saw out on the road for a chat. So hopefully some good will come of it. Thanks again.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Hi Darren,

I used to have a Jim’s Mowing franchise so felt I should comment for you.

I personally didn’t fare overly well with it – and was left with a mountain of debt (that I am still trying to pay off :() – but it certainly wasn’t any fault of the franchise.

The big thing is to remember that it is just like any business still – you are responsible for marketing your business and getting the work. You are responsible for pricing, quality control & customer service (although Jim is very picky about customer service and will ream you over the coals (sometimes personally) if you receive any complaints), you choose what services you offer (sounds crazy but true), you choose your target market (within your territory). What you do get is access to a coach, training, volume discounts, an established brand, a national call centre, a web site, a proven business system, a network of (generally) supportive people who are either going through what you are going through or have already been through it, etc. Who your franchisor is will make a big difference. Meet with them a lot before you sign up to make sure you can work with them and that they are going to be willing to work with you and back you up and support you (mine were excellent – I was the fool who never asked for help).

When you speak with the franchisor it is law that they provide you with contact details of existing and previous franchisees. I would suggest calling and speaking with as many as possible – over a beer is a good idea. Make sure you have a list of details you want to find out about before you do though so you get the most from it.

Good luck with your decision – and I am happy for you to send me a PM if you want more info (however I strongly suggest that speaking with franchisees who are from your area and have dealt with your franchisor are the best to speak to). Even though my experience was less than ideal I am not anti-franchise – they work great for the right people (just like any business).

Cheers
    Daniel

DarrenF
    Up

Thanks Daniel,
    I appreciate your honesty about how your business didn’t work out. I will definitely take your ideas on board and thanks for the bit about their legal obligation to supply me with other franchisees names and contacts. I am meeting with a Jims rep next week so I will be sure to ask him for that.
    Cheers.
    Darren.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    DarrenF, post: 159336 wrote:
    Thanks Daniel,
    I appreciate your honesty about how your business didn’t work out. I will definitely take your ideas on board and thanks for the bit about their legal obligation to supply me with other franchisees names and contacts. I am meeting with a Jims rep next week so I will be sure to ask him for that.
    Cheers.
    Darren.

No problems Darren. What area are you looking at? Mine was in Logan City in Qld.

Rabbits
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    DarrenF, post: 159300 wrote:
    Hi, I am currently considering whether or not to buy into a franchise business.
    I currently work in the gardening industry for a private contractor but think its time I went out on my own. I’ve been looking into franchises such as Jims and VIP and on the face of it they look pretty solid but from viewing other forums there are a lot of people slating the whole franchise idea and recommend doing it from scratch yourself.
    I would appreciate other people’s thoughts on this, especially if they have gone done the franchise route and succeeded or failed and where left with a mountain of debt.
    Thanks Darren

Darren, I would think twice before buying a Franchise. I have had 2 in the tyre industry and they have both ended badly.Franchise agreements are biased towards the Franchisor. I have just gone independant and I find I can buy product cheaper than I could through the Franchisor.

John Templeton
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Have you thought about turning your existing business into a franchise yourself? There are a few franchising coaches out there who can step you through the process. Maybe that might be an option for you?

DANKS
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

Great thread!

I’ve been looking into a franchised Gym business for a while now. I can see the benefits of it, as this gym is nationwide and allows members to use any gym they like. Memberships are transferred to your gym if that customer uses your gym x amount of times in a row.. you have zoning right as well so you know another one of your gym wont pop up 10k’s down your road. I believe they stopped selling franchises already in Sydney as its full.

Looking from the outside in, its look great. My potential business partner in this is already in the gym supply industry and is spending a lot of his time now speaking with other franchise owners to see how their business is going.

It’s a tough call when it comes to franchises… Get as much advice as you can get and don’t make the call with your heart I guess…

newhabit
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi all, I’ve just written a blog post that might be of interest to anyone looking at a franchise.
    Although it’s based around building inspection franchises the principals I’ve written about are the same for any business.

I have started up two businesses myself from scratch … and have compared the difference between going-it-alone and franchising … in 3 key areas:

1. Quickly Producing Leads
    2. Converting More Sales
    3. Making More Profit

Here is the link to the blog http://www.blog.teamhabit.net and the Article is titled – Are building inspections franchises worth the outlay.

Hope you get something from it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.