Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Free ‘gift’ with first orders… good idea or not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AlleD
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi

Well, I know that I am still a couple of months off launching but as I get everything together I think that I am on the right track. After talking with Gab – I have a great idea of how to market the website online and I am in talks with some childrens fashion review sites etc but now my focus is shifting to the future to those first elusive orders.

I want to send a reminder of where the customer purchased the clothes. I was thinking that as it has to be small and light (for postage) and cheap (well, I don’t have that much to spend!)

I was thinking either a free fridge magnet or free keyring or something like that – however I want something decent (ie not Vistaprint) I thought of a pen but did not like the thought of ink leaking on clothing – no matter how well packed or remote chance. Maybe though this is a better option than the magnet or keyring?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

AlleD

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I like pens. Pens stay around the house and get used all the time. I have about 20 fridge magnets on the fridge, holding up an array of papers. My pen however (current one is from BBC Digital sits by the phone and is used every time I need to write something down while on the phone.

Functional key rings can be good, for example bottle opener key rings or pen light or something, but a generic key ring is not likely to make it onto my already bulky key set!

Hope my opinion is of use to you,

Carl

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Alled,

Are you talking about a gift to entice purchase? Or a gift so when their friends asks them where they bought their … they be able to remember?

A few ideas – Notepads, Pens, Magnets, coffee mugs, notebooks.

I personally wouldn’t be enticed by any of those items to actually make an order, but if I was sent them, I would definitely use them! Especially with notepads, they are a great way to burn your brand / name / store into your customers minds.

– Jake

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I love magnets, they’re great for putting up the kid’s drawings on the fridge etc (ours is covered!)

bchapman
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    AlleD, post: 58668 wrote:
    Hi

Well, I know that I am still a couple of months off launching but as I get everything together I think that I am on the right track. After talking with Gab – I have a great idea of how to market the website online and I am in talks with some childrens fashion review sites etc but now my focus is shifting to the future to those first elusive orders.

I want to send a reminder of where the customer purchased the clothes. I was thinking that as it has to be small and light (for postage) and cheap (well, I don’t have that much to spend!)

I was thinking either a free fridge magnet or free keyring or something like that – however I want something decent (ie not Vistaprint) I thought of a pen but did not like the thought of ink leaking on clothing – no matter how well packed or remote chance. Maybe though this is a better option than the magnet or keyring?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

AlleD

What about a complementary product. I don’t know what you’re selling but can you hit up someone with a complementary product (say, hairbrush if you’re selling shampoo, laces if you’re selling shoes etc) and ask them for x00 to include with your first orders. The buyer gets a pleasant surprise, the other person gets their product out to prospective purchasers, you get to start building strategic relationships.

Bigger companies always have excess stock of something, and with some deft skill you should be able to talk them into giving it away.

SB Marketing Guru
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi AlleD

I agree with the previous post – if the purpose is to promote via word of mouth and instigate repurchase you are better off providing a complimentary product from what you sell. So maybe a pair of socks or something for the child. And pop in a little note that explains it is a thank you for being one of the first people to purchase your products online. – This bit of extra should go along way and get your mummies and daddies talking about the good service they received.

A magnet or pen is good for a plumber, or an electrician or someone who provides assistance when they are needed.

Thanks!

AlleD
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Thanks everyone for their input. I should have clarified in the original post that the free gift was a thank-you and please remember us gift. The free gift would not be advertised in the store but just sent with each order as a ‘surprise’.

I think that a free item of clothing is probably a bit much – but I think that you are right and I am sure that if I put my mind to it – I can think of something small that I could get produced to be a gift and suitable for boys and girls and still compliment our product range (Australian made kids playwear)

I did actually think of luggage tags (As luggage is usually full of clothing!) or a small pack of balloons/lollies with a note to thank the purchaser for helping celebrate the opening of our online store.

Socks…hmmm – that could actually work too – I would have to investigate Australian sock manufacturing companies and work out a cost price.

Too many ideas here!! I will have to do some research but I love these ideas. Please feel free to add more feedback – both good or bad.

Thanks so very much

AlleD

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi AlleD,

Some great ideas there! Sorry to chime in late, but how about a voucher for a discount off their next purchase? Send it by email and you won’t even have to pay postage…

Good luck with your decision making,
    Jayne

Thrive Promotional
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

Promotional products i.e. a gift or novelty with your branding on it .. is a perfect option for building awareness and loyalty.

I don’t agree about giving away an actual item from your range as this devalues your range and really doesn’t assist in generating a high visual brand reminder.

There are two ways to go initially >>:
    1) Gift With Purchase i.e. announce/market that each purchase during a set period, will receive a gift (I have an Gift with Purchase article of my website under ‘Articles’)
    *this is an initiative usually put in place to drive sales of a particular range .. as the anticipated increase in sales you project, should cover the cost of the gift **

OR

2) A surprise ‘thank you’ gift that is sent out with an order
    ** this is used to build loyalty and convey appreciation.

As far as ‘what to give’ .. there are oodles of options (and I would be happy to guide you/discuss). The branded item should reflect and be complementary to your business, should be useful and appeal to your audience i.e have perceived value .. and easy to send with your order or mail separately.

Hope the above adds to your consideration. Happy to help further if needed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.