Home – New Forums Tech talk free software for bookwork

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bulldogs195461
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

g day
    i run my own little gardening business and just keep a simple business cash book(non gst) to keep tabs on everything.bookwork is not my strong point,i was just wondering if there was any free software that could aid me in this,mainly to help me see where im going.i would still keep my manual system,my needs are pretty simple as far as recording goes.anyhow hope i made sense ,thanks all.john

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey,

The ATO offer a free accounting system. Can’t think of the name, I’m sure someone will throw it in here. Otherwise just have a dig around on the ATO website for it.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hey John (and Chris)

Its called e-Record, and it is horrible to use – but free.
    My accountant hates it!

Even the ATO are getting rid of it, but not for those reasons…. :)

A review of e-Record was recently conducted. We found that e-Record is no longer compatible with current commercial record-keeping systems and would need to be redeveloped to keep up with technology and new business directions. We have therefore decided that from the 2010-11 income year e-Record will no longer be available.

You can get a copy (before July) from here:

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/23231.htm

Cheers
    Brad

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

there are plenty of low cost ones around – even under $100 is better than something poor for free.

The other alternative is set up something in Excel yourself – which is basically all free ones will be.

Maybe other members have something already they will share.

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

John

I can email you some Excel templates I’ve drafted for my clients. They’re easy to use, easy to update and see results (bottom line) per quarter.

Janna

bulldogs195461
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    FletcherTax, post: 24776 wrote:
    John

I can email you some Excel templates I’ve drafted for my clients. They’re easy to use, easy to update and see results (bottom line) per quarter.

Janna

that would be great im at [email protected]
    thanks john

FletcherTax
    Up

John

Just emailed them through. Hope they’re of help,

Janna

Karl
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

I’m a BIG fan of Saasu. It’s a full accounting package, similar to MYOB or Quickbooks (so maybe a little bit of overkill for what you want) and its free until you are using more than 20 transactions / month.

FletcherTax
    Up

Got to give brownie points to Saasu.

Had an issue with one of my clients file – had support call back within 1 day and be naturally interested in helping.

In terms of pricing – 2000 transactions per month for $25 p/mth. Would probably suit a lot of businesses here in terms of volume.

If anyone wants to pursue Saasu let me know and I’ll be happy to point out some tips!

Janna

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

All, you should check out the recent thread about this topic:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/money-matters/3499-recomend-free-accounting-software.html

There were some useful suggestions there.

Kev

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    FletcherTax, post: 24878 wrote:
    Got to give brownie points to Saasu.

Had an issue with one of my clients file – had support call back within 1 day and be naturally interested in helping.

In terms of pricing – 2000 transactions per month for $25 p/mth. Would probably suit a lot of businesses here in terms of volume.

If anyone wants to pursue Saasu let me know and I’ll be happy to point out some tips!

Janna

$25pm soon becomes a lot more expensive than non-free or even outright purchase ones. Soon becomes very high end in terms of cost at that rate!

FletcherTax
    Up

That’s true. It won’t suit all.

Common software stages for businesses might look a little like this:

Simple Excel > More Customised Excel > Xero, Saasu or other free online accounting software > MYOB or Quickbooks outsourced to bookkeeper or managed internally.

Each business needs to find the right software for them in terms of required output, ease and cost.

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up
    King, post: 24912 wrote:
    $25pm soon becomes a lot more expensive than non-free or even outright purchase ones. Soon becomes very high end in terms of cost at that rate!

That is true, but with regards to what Saasu can do, most business would be looking at a cost of $10K + setup costs , Saasu reduces this cost upfront, and in real terms still works out a lot cheaper as most software providers charge Qtr or Annual Subscription.

I am currently comparing one of my clients you we have moved to Saasu for very little investment compared with a client that has choosen another product, so far they have spent $12K with this company (as there package is not off shelf not a lot of Tech Help so they hit you with tech support and then more cash to write reports)

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

$25 per month is a lot cheaper than buying MYOB or Quickbooks, and you get support in that. MYOB charge you extra for support. And you will always have the latest version for that $25/month.

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

True on comparison when you get support and upgrades, but remember that with MYOB if you are not doing payroll then you don’t really need to upgrade very often… $25/month is $300 per year – thats a lot more than I pay to MYOB!

Kev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.