Home – New Forums Tech talk Free Upgrade To Windows 10?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    TechSeek
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

Turned on my computer this morning to find a “Get Windows 10” notification sitting in my system tray. Did anyone else get the same notification and what are your thoughts?

I usually don’t upgrade unless there’s a need or benefit, however I don’t run many applications that are critical to the business besides MYOB. I probably wouldn’t urge any of my clients to upgrade unless they’re willing to put up with potential issues and downtime. If they rely on custom software to run their business, it may take some time before support staff are aware of compatibility issues (if any) and whether they will provide an update to resolve them. Start with your least used workstation first.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Yes, i got the same notification last night.. Have not really perused it as yet and also a little hesitant, so i will follow this post with interest.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

Microsoft are offering Windows 10 free upgrade for anyone on Windows 7 and Windows 8, however, I don’t think it’s gone RTM (Release to Manufacturers) or final release as yet.

It looks like this popup is just basically an invitiation to give Microsoft your email address and pre-register, so when it becomes available, you can get it for free.

It’s definitely an improvement over Windows 8 and so far I’ve yet to find any compatibility issues.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

I got it too.. Filled out the form and got an email overnight saying my computer should start downloading it and will tell me when it’s ready.. No idea if it’s actually running at the moment though!

If you click on that little windows icon in your tray and then click on the hamburger (the icon with 3 horizontal lines) in the top left you can select “Check your PC” to see if you’ve got any unsupported hardware, apparently my Bluetooth may not function after the upgrade

TehCamel
    Up

It won’t start downloading before July at least, because it’s not a final release yet..

redleaftea
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

You will have a year to make the upgrade for free before they start charging. Windows 8 users need to be running 8.1 in order to get the offer apparently (also a free upgrade I assume)

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    TehCamel, post: 214796, member: 7341 wrote:
    It won’t start downloading before July at least, because it’s not a final release yet..
    Yeah just read the email and realised it said it will start on July 29th… haha
    TehCamel
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 214798, member: 53282 wrote:
    You will have a year to make the upgrade for free before they start charging. Windows 8 users need to be running 8.1 in order to get the offer apparently (also a free upgrade I assume)
    Win8 to Win8.1 is a ~4.5GB downloadable update.. which, in a business situation if you’re on limited internet connection can be horrendous.
    So, you’d have to do that, then the Windows 10 update (which will be a similar size)

I’m interested in exactly how this upgrade process works anyway.. if it’s in-place, or fresh install.

(In-Place means it basically installs over the top, supposably leaving all your applications working. Fresh is like you’ve just installed it from DVD)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I saw it last night too. It looks to me like they are gauging interest and popularity for the upgrade pre release.

Steve

TehCamel
    Up

I actually just saw it on one of my Win7 computers as well. might tell it i’m interested tomorrow, just to observe and write about the process..

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Is it basically like a 2 steps forward, one step back situation? Improvement on Win 7 and what Win 8 was meant to be? It is a wait and see situation, particularly if you had compatibility issues going from 7 to 8.

Francis Chuang
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I have been trialing the preview builds of Windows 10 and can say that it is a big improvement over Windows 8/8.1. The start menu is no longer full screen by default. Windows apps which only ran fullscreen in Windows 8 (which reduced their usefulness) can now run in windowed mode.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I’m still happily on 7 and, considering how awful I think 8 is, I’ll probably sit on the fence with 10 until all the feedback comes in :)
    Mind you, I’ve done the same with my iPhone too and avoided all those issues.

Wendy :)

Tom ISW
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

I signed up for pre-release too. I’m hesitant using it as my go-to OS, though. I might run it in dual boot and start porting over if I’m satisfied with it.

Francis Chuang
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

If you’re interested in trying it out without having to set up a dual boot, you can try installing it in VMWare or VirtualBox (which is free). I have it running in VMWare and it works pretty well for testing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.