Home – New Forums Starting your journey Freelance designer at a design agency question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    celesten
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi guys!
    I’m new here but this site seems very helpful!

I’ve just got a job as a freelance graphic designer at a design agency, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this actually means? Do I need an ABN?

So far I have just been paid directly into my bank account the full amount and haven’t received any payslips.

What does this also mean for centrelink payments? If I am not employed by them permanently, then when I report my earnings do I have to add them as a new employer?

I’m very confused! Please help!

Celeste

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Celeste,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and congratulations on the new gig :)

I’m not the right person to help with your questions, but fingers crossed someone will be along shortly.

Best of luck with it all,
    Jayne

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Celeste,

A little bit tricky, and a bit of a hard situation.
    Im guessing your not asking the employer directly because you dont want to make waves. Fair enough.

From your description it sounds like they are just paying you for work.
    Did you answer a job advert?
    Did they give you any paperwork describing the job?
    If so hang on to any paperwork they have provided you – it may come in useful later.

Yes, any income you get should be reported to centrelink.

Steve

Boots
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

As awkward as it may be, you might have to ask your employer (or are they your “client” – that’s what you’re trying to work out here); depending on what paperwork they asked you to fill out – this will give us some indication of the likely outcome.

Did they ask you to fill out a TFN declaration? If so, I’d say you’re an employee. Some places don’t go out of their way to give you payslips so you’ll just have to ask how you go about getting them.

If not: Did they ask you to sign a contract? If so, did it use the term “independent contractor”? If so, then yes they are expecting you to have your own ABN. You do not get super or any paid leave in this situation, so consider whether the hourly rate is fair given the nature of the engagement. Also ask them about insurance – are you covered by their WorkCover policy, or do you need your own? (Very important for if you get injured at work!) Are you expected to have professional indemnity insurance, or are you covered by theirs? (If you don’t have PI and something goes wrong, they can come after you because you’re technically an independent business providing the service to them, not part of their business).

If they didn’t ask you to fill in a TFN declaration and didn’t ask you to sign a contract, it’s all a huge grey area and not really right. In this case you’ll have to ask them.

Centrelink-wise, if you can determine that you are an employee, then yes just add them as a new employer when you next report your earnings. If you determine that you are an independent contractor, you’re considered to be running a business by all government departments (Centrelink, ATO, etc), and that’s a whole different set of forms you have to fill in with Centrelink. You may find it confusing if all this is new to you, so I’d suggest making an appointment so you can get some help wading through the paperwork.

Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.