Home – New Forums Logistics Freight Company startup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    EMT Australia
    • Total posts: 91
    Up
    ::

I’m looking to start a transport company with a business partner in March 2013
    Our target market will be any business that transports palletised freight within the Sydney metropolitan area.

What I am hoping to achieve in this thread is to gather feedback on what are the FS communities views and expectations of any freight carrier they may use.

I will be posting every few weeks in this manner with a new subject as my goal is to create a freight company for small businesses based on what small businesses actually want.

My business partner and I have been in the industry since 2004 and are at the point where we are sick of the way companies currently see customers as just another invoice and hit clients with hidden surcharges.

The philosophy will be send 1 pallet or 22 Pallets, spend $50 a week or $50,000 a week, all customers will be treated the same.

Pricing will be pure pallet rate, no minimum pallets, no fuel levy or any other hidden surcharges. Know what you owe before the job starts.

Please feel free to add your views and questions and help me launch this company right without the outrageous pricing or false promises that is in the transport industry currently.

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Passion and commitment create success.. Keep up the energy.
    Cost to be considered
    – when u can’t deliver due to receiver being absent or unavailable. Having to return
    -Long queues for drop offs
    -deilvery and pick ups not easily accessed.
    All consuming time which has to be accounted for somewhere somehow.

all the best I believe logistics is undersupplied in Australia. Create a good service deliver what you promise and you will not be short of business.

Chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I was a logistics manager for a medium size company in another life, and the most important thing I valued was communication.

So often somebody would tell me that something would be deliverable at a certain time, then it didn’t happen. When I questioned the driver when it finally arrived, he would tell me something totally different and say what the customer service told me was impossible.

The price needs to be good of course.

A easy to use online based booking service is also important.

If you are aiming a small business, then having the option of making per package deliveries would be a good idea. Not that many small business make all their deliveries a full pallet.

Will you be only doing deliveries or will you be doing warehousing / distribution as well?

Good luck!

EMT Australia
    • Total posts: 91
    Up

To start with we will focus on deliveries.

A majority will be Pallet work but if the need is there we will do parcels to.
    Warehousing is in our plans but not with the immediate launch.

We have been looking at software that works off driver smartphones so the client will get an email or sms notification at a few critical moments.

Job Booked (Confirmation)
    Job Picked Up
    Job Delivered (Complete)

This will integrate with an online booking system as well and because this software is cloud based, I can even book and despatch jobs whilst on the road.

On the customer relations front we will be taking a new approach. We will actively be visiting the clients and constantly getting feedback and establishing ourselves as a transport company that truly cares.

Also because of the software we have we won’t need to hire a cast of thousands to run the company. My business partner and I will both be actively involved in sales and operations.

How many of you would rather deal directly with the owner of a company and have a definate answer other than i’ll check and get back to you?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.