• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MrSmithers
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    ::

Hi there, my name is Tim,

Nice to see a forum where everyone’s helpful. So I’m just looking how to turn my very casual haphazard business style into something a little more structured and business like. I have never taken it too seriously, but opportunities have been presenting themselves for which I need to be a little more organized to get the benefits.

I started out just taking on a small contract for a media company and was almost going to give it away when I was offered another contract, then another. So now I earn more than my day job. With another 2 possible contracts coming up in the next 6 – 12 months. I am now considering leaving my day job to put more time into a new venture since my media contract job only takes 2-4 days a months.

I have been thinking about project management to help people with product ideas to get them to market. I don’t have any qualifications in this area and have looked around but can’t find anything outside of a business degree that really hits the nail on the head.

Anyway enough about me! Looking forward to reading more about what everyone else is up to.

Tim

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

What about Prince2, perfect qualification to give the fundamental principles of project management, but not industry specifc, so can be used across the board.

Project Management can be a very loose term to cover a number of different services, so make sure your services are clearly defined and understood.

OH, and welcome to the forums :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Tim,

What a great position to find yourself in :)

Congratulations on your success to date, and thanks for joining the forum. I hope you find lots of good ideas and info here to help you take things to the next step.

Best wishes
    Jayne

MrSmithers
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Thx for the welcome.

In the meantime things are going to get a little busier for me. I picked up a catalogue distribution contract just today. WOOT!

I will have to really get organized now. lol

To clarify my intentions with Project Management, and thanks AM for the PM course name, I have a few ideas that I want to get off the ground for myself to a point where I can either sell them or grow them myself and add to my portfolio of little ventures. I can see a small niche to help other people do this for themselves also. I use the term loosely to describe what I would like to do. But the process would be something like, Idea -> Research -> Business Plan -> Product Development -> Marketing and Sales. My help may be in one or more of the above areas, depending on the clients’ needs.

So I guess while I say project management, my main area in need of education is the business planning part. A little more research maybe. :)

But I do have a question, lol. Who best to get advice from on business structure? An Accountant or Solicitor?

Cheers

Tim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.