Home – New Forums Starting your journey Fruit and vegetable delivery service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    newface
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience with purchasing wholesale fruit and vegetables from the wholesale markets or direct from the growers. I have a particular demographic I want to market the delivery service to but I am struggling to get much information on how to purchase from the markets, whether to try buy direct from each market trader or use a buying agent or secondary wholesaler. I want to start small and work my way up. If anyone has any tips, ideas where to get more information or any advice I would really appreciate. The business will be located in Perth.

Many Thanks,
    Jane

Shane – CM Marketing
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Hi Jane,

best of luck with your business idea, I buy from a similar business in Sydney that goes to the fruit & veg market every morning and delivers a box to my door once a week.

This service is very popular in Sydney, so there is great potential for you.

As far as I know, he buys direct from the wholesaler markets.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Hi Jane,

Have you seen this site – http://www.perthmarket.com.au/index.php ? I’m not from Perth, but that appears to be the main wholesale market over there. You could probably try contacting the individual tenants for more information.

From what I know about wholesale fruit and vegie markets (not much, except I have had some relatives with fruit and veg shops), the big growers and pimary wholesalers tend to deal in larger quantities (i.e. pallets and bins full of produce). If you’re looking at buying smaller qantities (boxes and crates), you’ll probably be dealing with smaller growers and secondary wholesalers. I’m sure you’ll work it out quickly enough when you first get to the market – it will be obvious enough what sorts of quantities each tenant deals in predominantly. Get there early if you want good quality produce.

If you’re dealing with very small quantities initially, you may be better off approaching a local fruit shop to see whether they’re willing to do your buying for you for a small premium. When you get to be as large as Coles and Woolworths you can start to deal with the growers directly, going as far as telling them what to plant each season :P

Good luck with the business idea. I had a standing order for a weekly box of fruit and veg through Aussie Farmers Direct for a while… it was a really convenient service, which I think is taking off in certain areas.

Cheers,
    John

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Hi Jane

Great idea :)

I guess wherever you source your fruit and veges from, the most important thing will be quality. I know I’m prepared to pay more for products that are fresh, and last more than two days in the fridge !!

I’m curious to know if I fit your specific demographic. Are you able to share your plans yet? My dad was a buyer for a wholesaler in Perth for many, many years until he retired last year – if you’d like to email me (in confidence) with particular questions, I should be able to get some contacts for you.

Wendy

EvilPrince
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

hi, i dont know if this will help but i worked for a bloke that had a business selling fruit on the sides of the road. he paid badly so i rang up about a licence to do the same. not sure what department it was now but they sent me out the paper work and told me my vehicle isnt inspected like cooking vans but they suggest i have a shaded vehicle or shaded cover to sell fruit on the side of the road. i had an L300 van so that was good. i rang the veggie shed (they sell all fruits and vegetables) i asked them if they sold fruit at a discount if i brought 10-20 boxs each day of different fruits, then explained who i worked for and was going to do the same. they checked with the manager and said yep we sell to your boss discounted price and are willing to do the same for you.
    this flopped for me as i was young and asked my boss how tax worked, he flipped out and told me he was the only one with a license to sell fruit and would sue me. i said im only asking advice, he went on and on so i said you have the only license to sell on the side of the road but i got the forms in the car for a license and they told me i could sit next to your cars and sell if i wanted to. i was sacked and told to %^&**^$#@ off lol.
    i should have done it cos he made enough in 6 weeks to take 3 families on a 4 week holiday every year with his profits, been a long time since i had a holiday lol.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Evil had the right idea – he pulled his finger out and got out and asked people who would know – people in the industry.

So maybe instead of procrastinating (by asking here, that is what you are doing!!) go to the markets, watch and listen, see how they process works, meet a few people, then after a few visits start asking questions. For such a simple information set that will be simply discovered by a relatively few hours pleasant work! It may be you need to buy of a wholesaler, but this is where you will meet them!

Then when you know what volumes you need then you look at storage space etc, all the while doing customer end market research as well.

newface
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Thanks for all your advice. King – thanks for the kick up the butt I needed. Wendy I will be in touch. This is a great site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.