Home – New Forums Tech talk Frustrated at ignorance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    ::

This is my standard discussion with business owners when dealing with backups:

So do you backup regularly?

(Smirk, snigger) well we sort of do, its Jamima’s job to make sure they are done.

Ah, OK, who is Jamima?

She is the office assistant who comes in three days a week

OK, what do you do for the other two?

(more smirking, sniggering and mock hillarity) Ah well, you know I will get to it if I have time.

I see, so you have what 24 people working here?

Yes

You can afford to lose 24x 2 days of work best case scenario?

Well no not really (smirk)

……..

This is the very common attitude of many small and sometimes even medium businesses.

I am seriously considering hiring a court Jester outfit and seeking out businesses that have just lost everything because they do not backup properly. I will stand out the front of the offices and do a bit of a dance.

Lord knows that I would be a very busy individual.

Everyday bookkeeping
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

As a Bookkeeper i am very familiar with this. I once had a client that had NEVER backed up his system. He had a Computer Meltdown and if it wasn’t for my Computer client he would be up some creek looking for a paddle. He now backs up every thing both soft and hard copy. It was an expensive lesson.

Army of One
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Ensure your back ups actually work too!

You need to test / restore your back ups regularly to ensure they work.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Backup is only important when you need it.

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

In this day and age where computers are everywhere in business I understand your frustration when there are a number of ways that backups can be done.

From the simplest where there is a schedule for the main computer to do a copy of files to another computer to another all the way through to total off site storage with security guards and all.

The really interesting thing I have noticed is that they all know that they need to backup the data but they just don’t get around to it. Which is just fine until the hard drive crashes and you ask for the backup data. Woops, Sorry.

As you know Adam, it is only when it stops working they want you to be able to recover the data and they you get to say “Woops, Sorry” you will have to start with a clean install.

jdyason
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

I think backup solutions can be way to complex for most users.
    Staff members have a primary job that they do and focus on. Also, with staff turn-over, the knowledge and skills in performing backups is lost. People do forget to change tapes, to take media offsite and to check if the backups are even successful or not.
    Backups can be frustrating for all involved – not just IT gurus providing support.

A good backup should be a balance between, usability, functionality and reliability.

That’s my thoughts…

Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118
    Up

Someone mentioned it in one of the earlier posts “Its not important until you need it”.

This just about sums it up for most small businesses. They are just too busy trying to stay afloat to invest time in backing up.

What they need is a scare at work or at a friend’s work/office for it to trigger action.

From the selling side of things you need to sell them a simple solution. Offline and online. The process and time it takes has to been negligible because they will inevitably get slack again.

Its a hard slogg. People are ignorant because its too complicated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.