Home Forums Tech talk FTP Recommendation please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SuzsSpace
    • Total posts: 692

It’s been eight years since the last thread on FTP. On that thread many people recommended FileZilla. I’ve been happily using this programme for years, this month it decides to stop working.

Can people please recommend something that is likely to work? I’m using a PC.

Thanks everyone

Anthony Michaud
    • Total posts: 66

If it’s stopped working, then you probably need to look at why. I’m not aware of any issues with it. I’m still using it as it’s quite robust and functional.

SuzsSpace
    Anthony Michaud, post: 269529, member: 16710 wrote:
    If it’s stopped working, then you probably need to look at why. I’m not aware of any issues with it. I’m still using it as it’s quite robust and functional.
    I’ve tried googling and fiddling with the settings as per my findings. Nothing seems to work. I’m not just looking for something new out of pique, I’m looking because I can’t seem to make it work whatever I do.
    Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117
    SuzsSpace, post: 269538, member: 16039 wrote:
    I’ve tried googling and fiddling with the settings as per my findings. Nothing seems to work. I’m not just looking for something new out of pique, I’m looking because I can’t seem to make it work whatever I do.
    [USER=16710]@Anthony Michaud[/USER] is an IT provider and it works for him. He probably has a very good working knowledge of the program.

Could it be something on your end?

SuzsSpace
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 269540, member: 78928 wrote:
    [USER=16710]@Anthony Michaud[/USER] is an IT provider and it works for him. He probably has a very good working knowledge of the program.

Could it be something on your end?

I understand that, but I’ve already tried everything at my end. And I’ve asked the same question in another forum. Someone else is having the exact same problem as me. She suggested it might be our ISPs but we’re with different companies.

I wouldn’t be asking here if I hadn’t already googled and tried everything.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    SuzsSpace, post: 269550, member: 16039 wrote:
    I understand that, but I’ve already tried everything at my end. And I’ve asked the same question in another forum. Someone else is having the exact same problem as me. She suggested it might be our ISPs but we’re with different companies.

I wouldn’t be asking here if I hadn’t already googled and tried everything.
    Hi [USER=16039]@SuzsSpace[/USER] ,

Maybe explain the error that you have rather than “it stopped working”.

We have people using FileZilla on Windows and no issues. The other free FTP client is Winscp – https://winscp.net/eng/docs/free_ftp_client_for_windows.

But maybe explain the problem that you have and one of the techy FS members could help.

John

SuzsSpace

It seems that covid19 has stuffed up my courtesy. I’ve taken a couple of days out to attempt to retrieve it, or at the very least compose a more appropriate response. My apologies if I’ve been a bit curt, or not asked the question in a useful manner.

FileZilla
    I connected with my website and everything proceeded as normal. At file number 53 it pauses for quite some time. This is where it has paused every single time I’ve attempted this operation. It appears to be the same file each time too.

[ATTACH=full]1679[/ATTACH]

Eventually, after an unspecified time it starts up again and then stops at a different file. This second time it’s always stopped at some other place, there’s no rhyme nor reason for when/where it stops. This is the detail I get
    [ATTACH=full]1681[/ATTACH]

I waited a couple of hours and came back to this
    [ATTACH=full]1682[/ATTACH]

It has now been sitting with this message on file 537 since this morning, probably about eight hours.

One time I left it running overnight and when I came back there had been no change. The last time I ran FileZilla successfully was on the 17th March 2020 and there were no problems at that time. I might have upgraded it in the interim, but time is ceasing to have meaning to me.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

From what you’ve posted, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with FileZilla. The issue appears to be on the server.

FileZilla is actually telling you why it’s not happy….all I did was Google…ECONNABORTED (from the log spit out) and I got this answer for an old FileZilla forum post;

https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=7688

I haven’t used FileZilla for many years (or any FTP connections for that matter) but I do upload code and files to websites daily, so my experience is that server transfer logs usually hold the key to what’s stuffed up…though often in very obtuse language :)

Not a solution, I’m sorry but possibly a clue to where to look, or who to punch.

Cheers

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186

well, these days content management systems handle the “uploading” more often as your sites these days are less “static” but other than that sftp is your expected option. I would try checking if your server has any control panel to test if uploads work via the site control panel itself.

but yeah nothing here makes me think it is your client-side having the issue.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117

@SuzeSpace – the logical conclusion from all of the posts so far is that your host has settings that need to be changed in order for your FTP to work.

Your host may be able to help if you contact their tech support or you will need a tech person to look for you and advise what settings need to be changed.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.