Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Full Kitchen – New Business Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    evan
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hey all,

Have recently joined the forums. Already found a heap of great info. It’s fantastic to have a community like this.

I enjoy coming up with business ideas and those that will benefit people in some way and at the same time generate money.

I come up with this idea while traveling in London a few years back. After about a week or so of eating out at restaurants, take away, fast food, and fine food, I was craving to eat something simple, fresh from the list of recipes I had in my mind and even meals I loved when I was a kid! Problem being that the hotel I was staying at wasn’t a self contained room. It was just a bed, bathroom and a door. It was tiny! I understand that there are kitchen facilities in some hostels though you have to stay at one of these in order to use their kitchen etc.

I thought to myself, I can’t believe there isn’t a kitchen service around (apart from cooking lesson types) to come in, pay a fee, cook your breakfast, lunch or dinner with the ingredients and recipes that are stored ones mind that he/she enjoys/craves while traveling. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about enjoy the different foods in different cultures when traveling but sometimes you just wished you could have a break for a day and enjoy a home cooked meal of your own.

I guess in a way it would be similar to a laundromat except in this case it would be a full kitchen, well a number of kitchens that traveling people, individuals, groups, families & business professionals, could use to cook their food/ingridents.

That’s the real basics of the idea/business. There are heaps of possibilities and avenues I have come up with where this could go. I’m looking at doing market research and survey’s on this to see what the feeling is like out there for a business/service like this.

I thought I’d see what you guys feel about something like this? What are your thoughts? Would it be something that you would try when traveling, is there a need for something like this?

Any comments, feedback, ideas, constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks,

regards,

Evan

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

For people with families who are staying for a while it could be good. Its cheaper and healthier than eating out, and if the cook turns up with ingredients and everything (and washes up) it could be popular.

On holidays people want everything done for them, so it would have to be a service that did the lot.

Craig_H
    • Total posts: 59
    Up

I like the innovation behind this idea but I think the cost to profit ratio would not be worth it.

However what if it was a kitchen within say a sea container that was portable and could be delivered on the back of a truck. That way it could be hired out for anything, fates, fairs, festivals, weddings, anything.

evan
    Up

Thankyou Hugh for your comments and input. I will take what you have said on board.

Craig, thankyou for your suggestion. I do understand what you mean with the cost to profit ratio. That was something that I too were a bit unsure. Though the idea keeps pushing me to think of alternatives. I do however believe that a self-contained box that can be transported is a neat idea. Have noted that one down.

Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I think it’s a lovely idea Evan.

Especially if positioned close to a hotel, as I don’t think people would walk too far for this.

Will you include a dining area as well? Or will they have to transport the food back?

Regards,

Jake

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Hey cool idea, sounds like something if you could knuckle out well could easily be franchised and catch on well.

Like the others mentioned, working out how to make it pay and yet keeping afford-ably attractive is the key. Maybe you could sell all the ingredients and make your profits that way.

I know often when I travel and even if I do stay at hostels with cooking facilities I’m too lazy to do my own, or even when I want to it doesn’t always work out very cost effect unless you do so a few times. Such as having to buy bottles of oil, seasonings – salt etc, which if used for only a meal or two can make that meal cost quite high.

It would appeal to me if I could just walk of the street, check out your fresh produce, say buy a few hundred grams of chicken, veges, potatoes, use your salt, spices and cooking oil and then cook it all up in one of your kitchen setups, eat in your dinning room, then head back out on my way.

Martine
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    evan, post: 36670 wrote:
    Thankyou Hugh for your comments and input. I will take what you have said on board.

Craig, thankyou for your suggestion. I do understand what you mean with the cost to profit ratio. That was something that I too were a bit unsure. Though the idea keeps pushing me to think of alternatives. I do however believe that a self-contained box that can be transported is a neat idea. Have noted that one down.

Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

Why don’t you register the .com.au name (it’s still available, hurry!) and set up a database like wotif.com, where home services people (ironing, washing, cleaning – although most hotel rooms have this, self contained units don’t, tour guides etc.) , inc. cooks and chefs, all over the world (although i noticed the .com is a parked domain, could buy it though?) could register their services, so travelling business people and families can look it up from anywhere in the world and get a tradesperson. I don’t how you’d charge clients, and the only trouble is you’re relying on “people”, to do the work and we all know how unreliable they can be…

But, it’s something to think about.

evan
    Up

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your awesome feedback!! Really appreciate it. Some parts to this post I’m getting more idea’s as I type so excuse me for thinking out aloud.

Jake, I was thinking of strategically positioning it near hotels/hostels/back packing places that are easily accessible. A dining area would be included so that if their food is hot for example they can enjoy it.

Mexham, I was still toying with the idea if customers could bring their own food or select their food from the fresh produce available inside Full Kitchen.
    I believe it would be wise for people to select fresh ingredients/vegetables/produce from instore. This could be where some money is made. If however there is rare item they would like to cook with such as squid ink linguini maybe then they can book in advance, we source the ingredient and order it, when the customer shows up at their booking time they are all ready to go.

Small items such as oil, pepper, salt & spices are not charged as these are small items.

To quote Mexham “It would appeal to me if I could just walk of the street, check out your fresh produce, say buy a few hundred grams of chicken, veges, potatoes, use your salt, spices and cooking oil and then cook it all up in one of your kitchen setups, eat in your dinning room, then head back out on my way.” I believed you have summed it up pretty well and hit it on the head!

Martine, thankyou for your advice. Just letting you know I did in fact purchase http://www.fullkitchen.com.au a few days ago.

Craig_H I still like your idea with the sea container and hiring out full kitchens to cater for different types of events. It might be that there are two arms of the business. One in which people can come and cook as per Mexham’s quote above and the other catering for Kitchen hire for events using sea containers to different specs. I went a bit further and though about fusing those two ideas which could be a special event every x number of months.

It could be a Full Kitchen | Restaurant under the stars (depending on seasonal weather) or something similar. Hey this could also be a marketing campaign to market both businesses. This could maybe turn into a traveling/marketing/restaurant roadshow where in the restaurant travels across different cities, rural areas & states. Though not sure if on these road shows people cook for themselves by selecting fresh produce from the full kitchen pantry or highly regarded local chefs to the area come for the patrons as per a restaurant.

Sorry if some of these haven’t made sense. I’m glad I’ve written them down and again excuse me as I was thinking out loud. Heaps of ideas to really think, write down and research about.

I’ve summed up the main purpose of the Full Kitchen idea into three words.
    Cook, Eat, Enjoy

Thanks everyone for all your feedback, it really makes a massive difference! Any more is always welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Evan

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

I think it’s a great concept, although for those with a family how do you entertain the kids while someone is cooking? I like the market idea of being able to select your own produce and cook it. Will this be subject to food handling regulations etc if it’s a DIY thing?

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Cheers,

Martine
    Up
    evan, post: 37310 wrote:
    Just letting you know I did in fact purchase http://www.fullkitchen.com.au a few days ago.

Good for you :)

Martine
    Up
    evan, post: 37310 wrote:
    Just letting you know I did in fact purchase http://www.fullkitchen.com.au a few days ago.

I was a bit worried about that. I just cringe when i see somebody mentioned a business or domain name in a forum when they haven’t had it registered! Not that i would expect the kind folks to do it here, but you never know who’s reading, and there are some pretty unscrupulous people out there :)

Congratulations on the domain name registration, let’s hope it’s the start of something big!!

YoungNomad
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Keep your ideas close to your chest … my 2 cents.

Jessica Somerville
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Evan,

I love this idea. I remember when my sister travelled a few years ago (in London as well) she would phone craving for the simple things….a plate of simple vegetables….vegemite on toast…. (a bit of the aussie thing)!. Hey, not sure if you can incorporate cultural cravings!!!

Anyway, I like it!

Regards
    Jessica Somerville
    Jessica Virtual Assistant
    http://www.jessicavirtualassistant.com.au

evan
    Up

Hi all,

Thankyou so much for the responses since my last post. It is all very welcoming!

Trish thanks for your comments on how to entertain the kids if a family is using the full kitchen service/utilities. I hadn’t explored that area but it is defiantly something to think and brainstorm about.

Matthew, thanks for kind words. That has given me some more inspiration to keep the ball rolling. I’m glad people like yourself feel that a service like this would come in handy and be of convenience.

Erik – I will keep what you have said in mind.

Jessica, I totally relate to your sister. Being more than 8000km from home in a different country and just wanting some simple steamed vegetables. Cultural Cravings, will keep that idea in mind and brainstorm some more on that.

I really appreciate the feedback everyone has given and continues to give. It’s fantastic I can drawn on the suggestions, ideas & how people feel for a service that Full Kitchen will provide.

As always if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/suggestions feel free to response/post them up. I will be taking them on board.

I have jotted down all ideas people have given with my own and formulated a plan well more of a business map. Currently I’m in the ‘how to get there’ part so have been working on a market survey/questionnaire. To begin with I will target this at backpackers/travelers etc to get a feel for what they are after & would possible require etc. Then move on from there to other groups such as families, extended stay, couples etc.

Thanks again for all your help!

regards,

Evan

2983#deleted
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I googled [rent kitchen] and found mostly commercial kitchens for rent.

Like others, the idea is appealing but given that backpackers hotels are in expensive, downtown areas, I can’t see it past the business plan stage. Even getting a council licence to haul a large walk-on/walk-off trailer to be very cost prohibitive. Would most customers finish their business (cook and clean up) within 30 minutes? What would they be willing to pay for that time?

For your sake I hope you can work through those apparent hurdles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.