Home – New Forums Tech talk Fuming over Hosting Issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::
    avallach, post: 27647 wrote:
    I’ll include a link below – it is NOT my hosting link, it IS a referral link to the company themselves. Using this link will not cost you any extra, if you feel uncomfortable using this link, strip off the affiliate ID part of the link.

Gaz, just a quick note to say thanks for being upfront about your affiliation in your very detailed and helpful post below.

Have a great day,
    Jayne

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    Steven Hudson, post: 27689 wrote:
    IRONIC……..the add on this page is for Webcity!!!!!

Hi Steve, that must have been a Google adwords ad as they automatically serve up ads relevant to the content on each page.

NeuroWebDesign
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

I can thoroughly and highly recommend: http://www.xhostsolutions.com.au/

A have a lot of sites with them. Their prices are great, they’re support is responsive including nights and weekends and they really know their stuff.

And hosted in Australia.

– Don’t pay any attention to their aesthetically challenged site.

whooyeah
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I’m a Developer who has had experience with a number of hosting companies.

For speed and reliability I recomend
    1) netlogistics.com.au
    2) expeed.com.au

Netlogistics support really makes an effort to help. They even do tasks that should really be my own responsibility. I have never had to wait for a response from their support team.

Note: I dont work for either company. I do host with them so I have first hand experience.

Raky
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

A good friend of mine runs http://matlib.com.au/

I haven’t hosted with them so I can’t give you any reviews but if you’d like to have direct contact with him so that you could discuss your requirements I’d be happy to arrange it.

DKBlair
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I have over 100 sites hosted with host gator. Never had a problem

$10 a month for unlimited domains. I also use host monster as well for more sites. $72 per year.

They are pretty good too.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Hmm, am with Webcity also, bugger.

I haven’t had any support issues really, so can’t complain about that, so far so good, other than when it’s gone done.

Just shows how careful companies need to be in their levels of service as forums like this tend to quickly weed them out.

I’m hoping webcity can improve themselves, I think I just paid two or three years ongoing hosting with them!

Does it make sense if you have a few websites to spread them around different hosting providers? Then if one does go down, all your sites don’t? I’ve actually got a different provider for each site I have. I like to have them local to the specific country my site is targeted to. Whether this enhances anything or not, there seems some debate, but I’m not so worried about this, I kind of like to just support the local companies.

Dalron1
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    mybusinesshelp, post: 25934 wrote:
    Hi everyone

I need a referral on a good hosting company. I have been hosting all my sites and client sites with http://www.webcity.com.au for over 6 years although they have been going down hill over the last 6 months.

Just today, all my sites went down. And guess what? So did the Webcity website go down. Here is the funny (fuming) part – THEY DIDN’T KNOW their site was down! I had to call them about my sites and say fix it – and let them know their site was also down.

I can’t afford downtime like this by my provider and would like any recommendations for another (Australian) hosting company.

Obviously Webcity is now striked off my list!

Thanks
    Amanda

I’ve been with DomainHostingShop for a year now, great service – their IT support team knows what it’s doing. I definitely recommend them!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I agree with Brad – Net Registry are good for hosting and they host within Australia with a fast uploading of sites. I have contacted them day and night and in the wee small hours for help if I need it, and they have helped each time. (The ‘Hostess’ version is a budget site that does not include phone support.)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    davdee, post: 27683 wrote:
    One time they lost all the sql db; offered a free month.

Damn, you are lucky! I have never heard of a company ‘losing’ a DB before, altough I am sure it happens every now and then. I would seriously look at another host, i can’t believe they didn’t have a backup. If my DB’s were lost, I would be tearing my hair out!

cleverfi
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I use netlogistics and they have been great to work with and very reliable.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

What precisely do you mean by a hosting company in Australia? The reason I ask is that many hosting companies in Aust don’t have their own servers here, they are reselling space on servers overseas.

I stuck with a hosting company that was costing me heaps because it was Australian and I wanted to buy Aussie etc. Then in a casual chat the owner mentioned that my site was actually hosted on Hostgator servers and they were only resellers of the hosting, they didn’t have their own servers.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up
    Melinda_B, post: 30536 wrote:
    What precisely do you mean by a hosting company in Australia? The reason I ask is that many hosting companies in Aust don’t have their own servers here, they are reselling space on servers overseas.

I stuck with a hosting company that was costing me heaps because it was Australian and I wanted to buy Aussie etc. Then in a casual chat the owner mentioned that my site was actually hosted on Hostgator servers and they were only resellers of the hosting, they didn’t have their own servers.

Melinda,

I would be very annoyed by that (as you presumably were!) It’s a good hint to ask more questions about the hosting if supporting Aussies and our economy is one of your motivations.

Kathy

IMB
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

hi amanda
    i use http://www.hostgator.com
    based in US but 24 hour support and cheap hosting rates

dean
    http://www.internetmarketingforbusiness.com.au

mybusinesshelp, post: 25934 wrote:
    Hi everyone

I need a referral on a good hosting company. I have been hosting all my sites and client sites with http://www.webcity.com.au for over 6 years although they have been going down hill over the last 6 months.

Just today, all my sites went down. And guess what? So did the Webcity website go down. Here is the funny (fuming) part – THEY DIDN’T KNOW their site was down! I had to call them about my sites and say fix it – and let them know their site was also down.

I can’t afford downtime like this by my provider and would like any recommendations for another (Australian) hosting company.

Obviously Webcity is now striked off my list!

Thanks
    Amanda

Dave@Perfectnotes
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Well weirdly it seems that Perfect Notes is now in the hosting business.

ABOC who have sent me a lot of support work over the last few months do plone hosting amongst other things. And are pretty flat out with other stuff. So it looks like we will be supporting them.

Still getting my head around systems.. but one niceness is that I have been playing with a thing called monit to quickly tell you the health of a site. Monit can be played with to tell you quite a lot about the servers health. and it can put this up on the web. It can also email you with alerts, restart services and stuff. Very very nice.

Most of what I have worked with is big networks with one webserver.. right there. and a backup in the building .. over there. And while being a linux geek I am happy enough on the command line.. mostly I have had the ability to fire up a GUI if I needed it.. Back to UNIX skills from the past.. Fun but

Oh ABOCs servers are in Brissie. We and ABOC are in melbourne Some of the sites we are currently supporting.. servers but not ABOC servers are indeed in the US. Pretty cool to get a server in the US to back up to a server in brissie (on the command line) while on a laptop in Melb

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.