Home – New Forums Other discussions getting a job vs small business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jabar
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone, I need some advice sorry for the long post

I am not sure what to do at this moment of my life in terms of finding a job/having a business. This is my problem, I cant find a job in my industry and dont want to find one, I love trying to be a business man. Let me explain.

Ok until last year my life run smoothly as a research scientist, I am a Doctor in Chemistry, 31 years old. All my life I was told that the only thing I could be was a scientist so thats what I did, I was the best of my school then the best student of the best university of my country in chemistry (I am Suma Cum Laude), I worked for a well known scientist there. Then decided to do a PhD in chemistry here, where all the problems started. My PhD wasnt the best and my supervisor didnt know how to guide me so lets say I failed to achieve the level I needed to continue a career in academy (to become a lecturer at uni) mainly because my PhD was not good enough, although I worked many many days from 9 am to 9-10 pm on it, spent many saturdays and sundays at uni without achieving anything… during the last year of my PhD i started to feel very very depressed and started to hate what I was doing so much (result of a lack of good results for 4 years, or let say of not feel rewarded during 4 years). I had a scholarship, so I never had to worry about money.

After I finished I had no job not an idea of what to do next, so my supervisors offered me a part time job doing the same thing I was doing in my PhD while I looked for a job. I have to say that my job was very relaxed, I was kind of free in what I was doing, I didnt have to start at 9 finish at 5, people were great, I travelled to Europe as part of the job everything paid, for most of people this would be the perfect job but not for me, I hated it. I started happy and with a better energy during the first months but suddenly again the lack of good results (take in account that I was used to be the best at everything I did) resulted in feeling very very depressed, so much that I started to hate my job with all my heart, I hated every single minute I had to spend in the lab, I was feeling extremely depressed, even now writing this I can feel how much I hated that job, the perfect job. I hated it so much that I started to try something completely new for a scientist, having my own business.

I learned SEO 3 years ago during the last year of my PhD and got in love with it, I spent many hours at night until 12 pm working on creating websites and it felt so different from my science job, I could work for hours without being bored or tired. to not make it long the websites that were making me a very little money were hit by penguin update so I decided to end doing SEO and move to opening an ebay store (working during my nights while having the research job). I have been running an ebay store for the last year which makes me around 1000 aud profit per month, not much.

As I said, my job feelings were so bad that I decided it was time to quit, so I did on december 2013. I have no obligations in terms of owing a house, a car or any debt, I just live in a share house and my only belongings are my laptop and my bed. Also have to say that I have a commitment with the Victoria Government that limits me to work only within Victoria, so I cannot apply for jobs any where else during this year. Now comes the problem, I have to decide whether I try to keep growing my business ideas or find a job.

I have been trying to move from the academy I hate to industry, to find out I am considered overqualified for the jobs industry offers, I feel humiliated and at the bottom of my career, I was meant to become a super scientist that saved the world but know I hate so much just that idea I cannot work in a lab anymore ….

By the way, since I quit my job, although I dont have money,I have felt so good, my life is amazing, I wake up do some walking/running every day, I sit down in the computer trying to find ways to make business, and I love it, I think selling on ebay make me feel so good because I get instant rewards every time I sell something (opposite to science)

I started tutoring last month and I have 4 students right now, so I at least can pay the rent without using money from my ebay business, but of course no money to even take my girlfriend out for a dinner. So I am not sure what should I do this year:

1.Keep trying to find a job in chemistry industry?
    2. Keep trying to increase my ebay business + couple of online stores while being a tutor (with unstable income)
    3. Apply for any job, waiter, bartender, cleaner, salesmen etc (with a PhD in chemistry….)… while working on my business?
    4. Should I focus on only one thing of those, either trying to find a job every hour of every day, or trying to grow my business every hour of every day?

would you say living with 1000 aud a month is not a good idea?
    I am 31 years old without experience in the real world……… what would you do? I wouldnt mind just keep trying on growing my business but I am starting to feel the pressure of building a life, having a house, having a car, taking my girlfriend to decent places, etc. thanks for reading

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Jabar,

You sound like you’re in a similar position to me with regards to wanting the eBay business life but not quite being there yet.

For me personally, I’m not willing to give up my lifestyle (2 new cars, nice apartment on the lake in Canberra blah blah blah) so myself and my partner still work full time. We also have another business doing web design, seo, marketing etc which helps build the eBay business.

We started in November 2013 and are hitting over $1000/month in sales, we’re hoping to be up to $1000/month in profit in the next 3 months, $5,000/month by the end of the year and $20,000 by the end of 2015. But there’s no way we could get that growth without our full time jobs. (particularly due to our financial commitments). We commit $2500/month of our full time income, plus 100$ of our eBay profits, to importing one or two new products for our store, hence our growth predictions.

I guess what I’m getting at is that I think you need another form of employment in order to grow your eBay business, you’ve probably figured out you can’t grow it much with only $250 profit/month. But you’ve proven your business model and just need more capital to make it a full time job.

You’re in Victoria, are you somewhere like Melbourne that you can pick up a few nights a week pouring beers or something? You could easily add another $2000/month working a few night shifts and that gives you the day to continue ‘the lifestyle’.

I’ve already decided this year is my year.. I think you’re pretty close to doing the same thing.

Knuckle down and build that dream my friend. (follow my blog too and hopefully over the next few months I can give you some more inspiration)

Maclean

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Jabar, wow, that’s a lot to take in …

I would decide – what do I love doing? What makes me feel happy?
    What would make me feel good about waking each day to work as?

Then, I would list all the steps needed to get to that goal.

The book Flying Solo, is a really good read. (I am not part of it – I am not trying to sell it – it’s just a really good book.) http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/book
    You can also buy it on iTunes now so you can read it instantly.

Anyway, the reason I suggest this is so that you can get a good overview of working for yourself and what others have done to achieve it so that they can ‘love their work’.

No study is wasted. But you may find that you are going to direct those energies into a new direction after doing some more research like the Flying Solo book and stories on this website.

All the best.
    – Karen C.

vhit
    • Total posts: 70
    Up

Hi jabar,

Congrats on quitting the job you hated. Congrats on making $1000/month on eBay.

You should do whatever makes you the happiest right now.
    Do you like being busy, with a few different projects going at once? Or do you like to concentrate and become absorbed in one project?

I agree with Maclean- when you are building your inventory, you need a job, or a reserve of cash. Unless you get into dropshipping.

I am obsessed with business start up. I’ve made a lot of mistakes on eBay/ in business. If you want any opinions on strategy you can email me. I need an opinion on SEO for one of my websites.

thanks for the interesting post!
    Whitney

jabar
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Thanks for the advice, Ill definitely go through the book you recommend Karen, Im gonna commit to be earning 5000 aud per month from ebay at the end of this year, I already know the strategy to find good products so is a matter of investing some more money on finding the ones that make more money. I would like to stick to tutoring as it is good money but the sensation of instability is always there, and then the social pressure telling me I am worth more than an ebay store. anyway thanks for your answers!

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    jabar, post: 187924 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, Ill definitely go through the book you recommend Karen, Im gonna commit to be earning 5000 aud per month from ebay at the end of this year, I already know the strategy to find good products so is a matter of investing some more money on finding the ones that make more money. I would like to stick to tutoring as it is good money but the sensation of instability is always there, and then the social pressure telling me I am worth more than an ebay store. anyway thanks for your answers!

That’s a great goal and I’d be happy to trade success stories with you as we move both move towards our goal.

I think anyone who gets to earning a full time wage on eBay has taken a huge step towards being one of the lucky people. I mean, how many people get to essentially sit at home and do what they want for all but the two hours it takes to work on the business?

“Worth more than an eBay store”? Don’t let those people determine your life. Just imagine the look on their face when you tell them you earn more than them and you’re only working 10 hours a week while they work 70 ;)

Onwards and upwards my friend.

Maclean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.