Home – New Forums Starting your journey Getting electronics branded as my own

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’m interested in purchasing cheap no-name consumer electrics from China and possibly getting my brand name printed on them. For example, a cable for a phone with my logo printed on it.

I’m wondering what I need to do for this to happen and what legal aspects there are to it.

Can I simply get an ABN, register a business name, import the products and stick the logo/name on there or get the supplier to do it for me etc, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

and stick the logo/name on there or get the supplier to do it for me etc

I would make sure that your chosen name/logo doesn’t infringe any registered trademarks in Australia first. You can conduct basic trademark searches yourself via http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au.

You will need the ABN/Business name to trade a business in Australia – and, you’ll need to get the ABN first, as you’ll be asked for it in the business name application. A business name registration allows you to trade by that name but it’s your responsibility to make sure the name doesn’t step on the toes of a trademark owner.

All the best

Anonymous
    Up

Hi kg,

I’m not an expert, but I’d assume that since you’re talking about electronics that you’d also need some kind of verification that they meet Australian Standards? And you’ll probably need insurance of some sort.

Hopefully some people who are more experienced in these areas than I am will jump on board and offer you some more definitive advice.

In the meantime, welcome to Flying Solo :)

Jayne

Anonymous
    Up

Thank you both for your help. :)

Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

What sort of electronics were you looking at out of interest. I looked into something kind of similar a while back

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Once you have the logo/name sorted as mentioned by others, there should be no problem with having the supplier add it to the product.

But a couple of things you need to be conscious of:-

1. Suppliers will be less inclined to add printing with small quantities. For a product like a USB flash disk you can find suppliers who will print on 100 pcs, but other products, printing on small lots may become an expensive option, especially when you include that you will be charged printing “set up” costs.

2. Part of having the products branded as your own often involves specific packaging. Generally a supplier will outsource packaging so they will also be subject to minimum quantities of boxes, hang cards, etc.

Steve_v1.0
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    kg, post: 165069 wrote:
    Hi all,

I’m interested in purchasing cheap no-name consumer electrics from China and possibly getting my brand name printed on them. For example, a cable for a phone with my logo printed on it.

I’m wondering what I need to do for this to happen and what legal aspects there are to it.

Can I simply get an ABN, register a business name, import the products and stick the logo/name on there or get the supplier to do it for me etc, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.

I hope the post is not too old for me to respond but I thought I could add some more useful information

If you have a look at web sites like alibaba.com or any other commodity trading site, search for “OEM” or “ODM” service or similar. They stand for Original Equipment Manufacture and Original Design Manufacture. BUT beware. There are many unscrupulous traders on these sites and you will not have the benefit of Australia’s consumer protection laws. Use Paypal where possible.

Anyway, basically they make the product and brand it with your logo. Depending on quantity, it can sometimes be no charge. (and) Yes there can be some legal problems importing electronics into Australia however, mostly for larger electronic items. Some speaker brands for instance can be bought in, but you cannot sell them commercially due to exclusive dealership rights.

As for the latter part of your question. Yes it can be as simple as that. Register a business name, get your ABN, import the products.

-Steve

Peter Jonsson
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi KG,

The manufacturer should be able to provide all branding on the products for you at a small cost. You will more than likely have to purchase fairly large quantities for them to provide this for you.

When looking at importing electronics into Australia it is really important you check that the goods comply with Australian standards. If any of your electronics have a power supply or are required to be plugged into a power socket, there are important standards that the goods will have to comply with in order to meet minimum Australian safety standards. I believe that if the goods are simple cables etc that do not require a power supply the standards are less strict. Some simple searches online will bring up lots of useful information for you.

Good luck with the new business venture.

Regards,

Peter Jonsson
    Business & Banking Consultant

http://peterjonsson.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.