Home – New Forums Tech talk getting hits in google (esp maps) searches

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up
    ::

Background:
    This is going to be very specific to locale so if you want to see this in action you should centre a map window somewhere around here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.4917558,151.3246276,15z

I have used an incognito window to reproduce this so it’s not using any browser cache.

I’m not yet too concerned with overall google presence (as in not landing on the first page) as we have taken a deliberate and slow approach to building the business, having said that however, where I’d like us to feature in google, just isn’t happening.

Our website is deliberately very basic, but we have a semi-active facebook following with a myriad of 5 star reviews (we were averaging 1 every 2 days, that’s stretching to 3 now. I’m still happy with that). We have only just started asking people for google reviews and have half a doz or so (most 5’s and 1x 4 star). We have our google “My Business” page setup and again, basic but containing all the required data and photos. We are a verified business and I even included ad words in the last week purely because a google rep told me “that would help” with our problem. I don’t believe them, but did it to entertain them and now as a paying customer am expecting (but not getting) the results I’m after.

The Problem:
    If you search for Thai Food and only those two words on that map (or more specifically Woy Woy Thai Food), we don’t feature in the list of restaurants that appear. You can see where we are, it’s the blue locations dot near the restaurant on the right hand side.

woywoythai.png

Strange since (and this is the part that is infuriating me) if you change the “rating” to “at least 4 stars”…

rating4.png

we feature SECOND in that list! We’re second if you ask for higher rated food, but if you don’t specify that, we don’t get a mention.

woywoythairating.png

Up until this morning, our “knife and fork” icon was actually smaller and a different colour (more orange than red—which usually puts us OUTSIDE the list) but that seems hit and miss.

As mentioned, we do have our “My Business” entry and it’s complete-ish, I know it could use more work.

mybusiness.png
    I have refrained from using our business name in this post, or any business name for the simple want of not wanting false hits or shameless promotion, you can simply refer to us as FTK.

I am after ANY helpful advice on how to improve/fix this.

edit: mods, please let me know if this is too much information and/or something needs to be blurred. I delib didn’t mention names to avoid any issues, promotion, negative feedback on competitors etc. I can remove the images if needed and hope that I haven’t flouted any rules. My intention here is to rate better and I’m after any help at all. Thanks

d3mad
    Up

ergh! to make this worse, I just had someone come in and say they couldn’t find me on Google (because they couldn’t remember the name of the shop). He showed me his phone and I hit the 4 stars option and *BANG* there we were.

People don’t search like that. Or not everyone does.

Ok, time to get serious about this.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Strange…just a couple of thoughts.

I’m no expert on Google Places, or SEO but I do build websites for small location based businesses and a couple of things struck me as possibles.

Longevity counts with Google. Has your near competition been around a fair while? (I know you’re pretty new)

The searches I conducted were not influenced by my location (I’m in SA) and I struggled to find your website even using the business name, and when I did it’s lacking in content, especially content that points at your Geolocation…I know this counts because of the businesses I build very simple sites for and the organic results they get in local search especially on mobiles (which tend to have location turned on).

Your competition has done a lot more work in this regard and probably been indexed for a lot longer to boot…whether this affects Google Places I really have no idea but it’s certainly a possibility…Most of my clients work in local geographic areas rather than fixed locations, so I tend to ignore Google places a bit… a client who did register (using a dodgy location-his Mum’s I think) does very well in organic search for his service…the Google places page just appears anyway, and it’s complete crap. I personally rarely take much notice of them when searching…but I am old and weird.

Interested to hear from some experts what’s the correlation if any to G Places and organic search results.

I don’t know the market demographic in Woy Woy, and I know when it comes to “local” business FB pages can be beneficial, but it is a “closed circuit” audience though, and I guess I’d be suggesting to get your website to at least out rank a link to your FB page.

A lot of local search is done on mobile and I would completely ignore a link to a FB page if I was looking to eat, pity because your place looks pretty good when you find it.

Bit of a ramble, sorry, and it doesn’t solve your specific maps problem but I couldn’t resist checking you out and having my 2 cents worth.

d3mad
    Up

No, not ramble at all. Very constructive. Thanks.

Yes, the other place HAS been around a lot longer. 16 years in fact. But they have issues within the community and we’re targeting polar opposites on those reasons.

It’s a good point you bring up about our website. I know it’s lacking and it’s kind of intentional in that we need to wait just two more weeks and I can open up heaps of possibilities (staffing, delivery radius and other legal constraints at this end). It just bugs me about where we appear (or don’t appear) in that list and what has to be done to make it different.

We actually get a lot of trade through FB. As incredibly closed as it is, we are smashing it in that one area, and one simple adword expense for a couple of days more than paid for itself.

I take on board everything you’ve said about the geolocation and tying things together. I do thing that will help. I’ll keep plugging at it, but if you do come up with anything more, please do pass it on. I’m a sponge.

If anyone else could add any more that would be awesome. Thanks.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

The reason I mentioned the demographic was that I wondered being close to the sea, if is there a tourist market/passing trade…imo this is where FB is likely to fail (I’m not surprised it works well locally), it certainly would if I was passing through or staying in the area.

If Adsense is working I’d be inclined to stick with that, Google doesn’t actually eat at your oppositions so it could take a while to over run them organically…I certainly wouldn’t throw any money at some SEO guru especially as there seems to be a bit of competition in town (could be a bottomless pit).

imo there’s nothing wrong with a slow build on the website especially if Adsense is working and getting a ROI.

I’d also be interested if anyone can offer more clues, might be something I need to pay more attention to myself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.