Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Getting my head around AdWords

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    baobei18
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    I’ve never attempted to use adwords before – we have a promotion coming up, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to give it a shot.

I’m wondering about using the location settings – I was thinking of creating an ad where the second line was “Australian shop, express post”, with the location set to be Australia, excluding Melbourne. Then I was thinking of duplicating the ad, putting it in it’s own campaign, and setting that campaign to be limited to Melbourne. For ads in the Melbourne campaign, I was going to change the second line to say the suburbs that our shops are in.

But this means duplicating every campaign/ad – is this the best way to go about it? Other than the time it will take me to manage this, are there disadvantages to doing this, or a better way to go about it?

Evo the marketing guy
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

You are on the right track.

But test it on one capital city first.

As for the cut n pasting of campaigns, easy as pie…but you need to download the google adwords editor where you can easily cut n paste away…

I have found only some products benefit from local targeting. If something is easy to post, most people don’t care where the shop is located.

I have had most success with ‘capital city’ campaigns for services where the buyer gets more comfort – initially – in a local company delivering the service.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Yes your on the right track and you will have the added benefit of seeing how many clicks come from melbourne. This information could end up useful to you.

Steve

resetAU
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

You could do split testing. Make your ad copies relevant.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    baobei18, post: 129283 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I’ve never attempted to use adwords before – we have a promotion coming up, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to give it a shot.

I’m wondering about using the location settings – I was thinking of creating an ad where the second line was “Australian shop, express post”, with the location set to be Australia, excluding Melbourne. Then I was thinking of duplicating the ad, putting it in it’s own campaign, and setting that campaign to be limited to Melbourne. For ads in the Melbourne campaign, I was going to change the second line to say the suburbs that our shops are in.

But this means duplicating every campaign/ad – is this the best way to go about it? Other than the time it will take me to manage this, are there disadvantages to doing this, or a better way to go about it?

You’re doing it right. Split testing can be done on both displays ads and landing pages. It’s a great way to improve your copies and conversion. For the more localized display ad, you may want to use a different landing page more suitable to that city.

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Even if it takes some more time to segment your campaign, the results are usually better the more targeted a campaign is.

Not sure if you are already aware, but there are different location targeting options (by default a location includes people who aren’t necessarily in the location but are, according to Google, interested in that location). See here for the difference, to help you decide on the settings: https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=1722038

baobei18
    Up

Thanks guys, yep, I found the adwords editor just after posting this, and have (happily) found how easy it is to duplicate my ads. So right now I’m concentrating on making my “Australia wide” ads – once I’ve got these sorted, I’ll duplicate, and tweak to target Melbourne.

The way I’ve got it set up is:
    Campaign = Product category from our website
    Ad Group = Single Product, with keywords to match
    1 or 2 ads per ad group, trying alternate ways to see which type of ads get the clicks

Is that the best way to set it up? I originally had one campaign, with a different ad group for each product category, before I realised that I only get to choose one set of keywords per ad group, and I wanted my ads to be more targeted than that.

EDIT: Oh, and I just received an email from “Maria at Google Adwords”, from the “Adwords Energise Team”, wanting me to have a free consultation – does anyone know any more about this?

Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

Hi baobei18,

By all means take the free consult – the more info you have the better.

A few tips that may help. I often find these problem areas in adwords accounts I take over for clients who initially set them up and did not get the results they expected:

• Don’t mix search and display – the way the sequence of the set up in Adwords works almost always sucks you into this. If you do you will never get an decent idea of your CTR.
    • Start with exact match (and phrase match if you don’t have the volume you need) first and make sure you can buy profits off the page with those before you go to broad match – so you don’t blow all your money and have no idea which phrases are bringing in the sales
    • Make sure you have more than one ad in each ad group so you can test headlines and approaches.
    • Pay attention to the quality score of your keywords – Google hides the column. If its below 4/10 you need to change something or you will be paying too much for your clicks.
    • And don’t forget about the quality of the page where you are directing the people who click on your ads – too many people send them to the home page of the site (they just click all over the place and waste your money). Instead send them to page specifically written for the ad group and focused on conversion.There was some recent data that said that 50% of the success of adwords was in the landing page.

In terms of setting up the campaigns what you are doing works. A suggestion
    Campaign A – Exact
    Adgroup 1 – based on groups of Kwords -each with 2 or more ads
    Adgroup 2 etc
    Campaign A – Phrase
    ditto

You can have plenty of campaigns and ad groups so use them to get the granular details.

Hope that helps out and is not rehashing stuff you already know.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

When I first set up an Adwords account I received a similar email from Google to “welcome” me etc. I’d set up a couple of ads (incorrectly so I learnt) and they actually set up all my campaigns/ads etc for me at no charge. So, I have a heap of duplicate ads running, all for different key words etc and seems to work well. So, I’d take their free consult if they’re offering, as it could truly assist and save some time (and wasted money on ads if they’re not set up right…)

All the best with it :)

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi All,

I am just Requesting you all to change the Default settings on Adwords, Otherwise $ goes from Bank Account with Rocket Speed.

Regards,
    Vilson

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

if you have never used Adwords before, be careful. You can spend a lot of money fast with no results.

Start of very small with exact keywords matches, then increase as you start seeing results.

Good luck!

baobei18
    Up

Thanks for all the hints, I will give Google a call when I get a breather and get their suggestions. So far:

• I’m going to duplicate my current (Australian targeted) campaigns and make Melbourne targeted campaigns to run side-by-side
    • I’m going to increase my ads, so I have more than 2 per ad group, to get an idea of what headlines etc work
    • I have all my ads set to display on search only (do you recommend only the “Google Search Network”, or to allow “search partners” also?)
    • I have most of my ads pointing towards either specific products, or product categories, with the link going to the suitable page, and I’ve tweaked my website a little to include more leading (and suitable) keywords
    • I went to change my Keyword Matching Options, under the campaign settings, and it doesn’t really give me an options, just says that “Exact and phrase match” is selected, but I can’t change that. But then when I click on an individual keyword, it has a drop down box and indicates that the keyword is Broad Match. Do I need to go through each and every keyword and change them to be exact/phase match? Is there a way to set it up so that future keywords are correct? aah – nevermind, I just discovered that I can do it in the adwords editor.
    • I didn’t mention it, but I have analytics all set up to see what is being clicked, and if it results in a sale etc etc (and btw – I have used google analytics for years, but never really used the goals/ecommerce settings – WOW that’s some powerful stats they give you access to!)
    Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi baobei18,

I can suggest one thing that just try to get Good Quality Score for Your Keywords

Just note Down Current Price and position now for Each keywords and After Getting Good Quality Score Again note Down Price and Position..And see the Magic..

Hope it will help..

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    StoreGuru
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Google AdWords is never easy to get your head around.

Just because everybody has access to it doesn’t make it a point and click system.

Try taking the professionals exams to make sure you are making the right decisions for your business.

Just on a side note, if I wasn’t a certified individual I would not be managing my AdWords account myself. I don’t fix my car by myself, I get a mechanic to do it. The same goes for an AdWords account.

baobei18
    Up

Ok guys, I have a question. I have adwords all hooked up to analytics, and all the data is coming through well.

I changed my keywords from exact to phrase because we weren’t getting the ads shown enough. I’m wondering if or how I can tell what phrases people have searched for to arrive on my site? When I’ve been looking at the real time stats, I’ve noticed some people that have arrived using a phrase that isn’t useful for our site, so I’ve added some words to the negative keyword list, but I’d like to check what else is triggering the ad?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.