Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Getting my head around AdWords

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    ::

When you are in AdWords and have selected your campaign, click on the keywords tab.

Between the graph and your keyword table there is a row of dropdown buttons. Click on the “keyword details” button, then under “search terms” click on ALL. This should display a list of the keywords that have triggered your ad.

Hope this helps. Google’s user interfaces can be pretty confusing…

baobei18
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

I would never have thought to look there – thanks :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    baobei18, post: 130496 wrote:
    Ok guys, I have a question. I have adwords all hooked up to analytics, and all the data is coming through well.

I changed my keywords from exact to phrase because we weren’t getting the ads shown enough. I’m wondering if or how I can tell what phrases people have searched for to arrive on my site? When I’ve been looking at the real time stats, I’ve noticed some people that have arrived using a phrase that isn’t useful for our site, so I’ve added some words to the negative keyword list, but I’d like to check what else is triggering the ad?I strongly suggest you don’t do this. If there is not enough search volume on your keywords, try different keywords. That is what the keyword tool is for. There may be more than one reason why your ads are not being shown. Search volume, quality score and bid price all play their part.

Swapping the keywords from exact is drastic and will cause many unforeseen problems, the number one is you are now paying for clicks that will not be converted. To do this without a negative keyword list ready to go is asking for trouble.

As long as your budget is only very small then you won’t blow to much cash.

I always recommend a professional to my clients.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up
    baobei18, post: 130496 wrote:
    Ok guys, I have a question. I have adwords all hooked up to analytics, and all the data is coming through well.

I changed my keywords from exact to phrase because we weren’t getting the ads shown enough. I’m wondering if or how I can tell what phrases people have searched for to arrive on my site? When I’ve been looking at the real time stats, I’ve noticed some people that have arrived using a phrase that isn’t useful for our site, so I’ve added some words to the negative keyword list, but I’d like to check what else is triggering the ad?

As @MatthewKeath points out you have to be careful if you go broad.

To see all the search terms that cause traffic:

Campaigns->Keywords

On the buttons just above the table:

Keyword Details->All

Ones indicated with the green Added already exist on your campaigns. The others are phrase or broad match based.

If you do this I suggest you add new entries for the broad ones and keep your exact entries as is. This way you can do different bid prices for the exact matches and track the data separately.

Another tip is that you can prepend +’s to keyword in the broad match to say that the specific word is required.

baobei18
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Thanks for the advice guys. Just to be clear, I’m not using “broad” match – I’ve read enough horror stories to know to stay away from that for now. What I had was everything set up for exact, but was finding that I was getting very few impressions per day. So I changed a lot of them to phrase match, to see what would happen. Since then, I’ve discovered a heap of different phrases that I would have never considered using as keywords, but are very relevant, so I’ve added them as keywords. Since I’ve added so many more keywords, I’ve put it back to exact for now, with a few left as phrase matches.

I’m definitely planning on getting someone more experienced to look at this for me – it was just an unique opportunity I had: we have a big promotion running this week, and when I went to organise newspaper print advertising last week, we discovered that it had gone up considerably. I had been thinking about adwords for a while, so was able to convince the boss to divert the funds that would have been used for that into adwords, to give it a shot. And, I like playing with this kind of thing ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.