Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Getting my “Hire Me!” Page In Better Shape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rob F.
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

I first put a “Hire me!” page up on my web site in October last year. I’m not fond of it, but I’ve always struggled with just how I should be marketing myself.

Recently I realised that I needed to figure out just whom I was marketing to, and decided that I need to be writing not to the harried, too-many-things-to-do-and-not-enough-time folks whom I had in mind when I wrote it originally, but people who love and are passionate about their businesses as I am about writing, and would like to entrust their business’ blog to someone who cares.

I reckon it’s more about telling people that good news sells and that I’m the perfect person to help sell it.

Does that make any sense? Do you have any suggestions about how I can give my “Hire Me!” page a bit more oomph?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Rob,

I’ve moved your post over here to the Community Reviews section of the site, which is the more appropriate place for it.

Fingers crossed you receive some helpful feedback soon :)

Jayne

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Hi Rob,

Firstly this is all from my perspective (layman and not a web expert) and in no way meant to be critical – I had a quick look and there’s and there’s not too much about why hiring you might be a good idea or what benefit it might provide (having prospects make the connection between what’s happening with the web and “That’s where Rob can help” is a little risky).

A bit about the web and what’s changed and then a bit about you and then another section on policies & procedures can be a little confusing.

What I can do for you with some solid examples and how this would benefit any prospective clients might be worth considering.

Policies Processes and Procedures – this should be a little clearer or have its own section, in my humble opinion, because this is where most businesses fall down and many may not read that far down.

Maybe what you do in bullet form then longer descriptions following?

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Hey there, firstly I just wanted to say I really like the overall look feel of your website. I straight away got a really strong impression for the way you operate, and the emotional vibe you’re trying to give to viewers…

The above poster is dead on…

Though I found the site itself to be attractive and entertaining visually, that page is boring… There is actually quite a lot of reading, and those headings are the start of the problem.

The headings need to stand out a little more, and they need need to say something a lot more punchy, for example:
    “Get more customers in just 2 steps”
    “Grow your business by 200%”
    “Generate 50% more income”

Now I’m just giving you very broad examples of what you could say, you’ll have to come up with your own stats, or punchy exciting headlines… Just start thinking about all those linkbait blog articles people write, where you read the blog title and you’re like “oh my god I have to read this!” – That’s what your headings should be like.

Try and break up the text on that page, get some really nice graphics / diagrams, or other photos, maybe just 1 or 2 more for that page. It’ll increase the visual attractiveness a lot.
    I really like the photo you’ve got there of yourself by the way, it totally matches the feel of the website and will make people feel comfortable to talk to you because you look so friendly. Just add to that picture and it’ll be great.

Ditch the Policies/Procedure stuff… I didn’t even read it honestly because as soon as I saw the heading my brain just switched off. Even if it is important it sounds dull and won’t get me excited to hire you. Definitely have a link to it on this page if you think it’s important, but hide it away somewhere else for those who really really want to click through to see it.

Hope this helps.

Rob F.
    Up

Harry, Concierge, thank you for taking a look at the page and replying! Sorry it’s taken me a bit of time to get back to you.

So the main things I need to do are:

• Have more examples (I have a portfolio / clips page, but would direct links to specific articles / pieces be a better idea?)
    • Punch my headings up (I have to confess, making big claims about growth in figures when I’ve barely done any freelancing work before seems a bit scary)
    • Break the text up with another graphic or two
    • Remove or drastically re-work the policies and procedures bit.

And it looks like the best thing I can do to start off is find some good examples and learn from them!

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

I started reading the page, then began skimming because it didn’t hold my attention, and by the end still had no idea what exactly you were offering/selling.

Not too good for a writer I wouldn’t have thought.

If you can’t do the following that you describe in your copy for yourself, why would I think you could do it for me:

“…keeps your potential clients’ attention and makes them remember you by giving them something new, something about you and your business, something they can use right now.”

You need to answer a really simple question right off the bat for anyone visiting your site: What can you do for me?

Everything else is superfluous.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Hi Rob,

From a design perspective, I find that tiled wooden floor background very distracting. It makes me uncomfortable to look at it and doesn’t entice me to look any further on your website. It reminds me of the really bad MySpace pages that were popular before Facebook squashed them!

I’d suggest you find a cleaner, simpler theme if you want businesses to take you seriously.

Cheers,
    John

Rob F.
    Up

Thanks for the feedback, Cathie. I’ll see about tightening up the sentences.

The overall site theme is probably the biggest bother I have, as it ties into a conflict in my overall direction for the site.

On one hand, I want to market myself as a freelance writer, which means presenting myself cleanly and professionally.

On the other hand… I’ve created an overall theme for my blog, “Step One: Make Fun!” about finding ways to get people to value your hobbies and creative passions. I’ve started a project where I create something new every week so that I’m actually walking the walk. I’ve even interviewed some creative people and put the results up as a podcast.

So do I separate the two and shift one theme over to a separate blog? Set one aside and concentrate on the other for a while?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.