Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Getting my Website out there

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    2yourhome
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

My goodness this is a daunting task.
    Ive pretty much buit my first wordpress website.
    We sell Best selling books online. Much cheaper than Dymocks, boarders and the other big guys.
    Im trying to do as much of this by myself as I would prefer to have that sense of accomplishment when things start to kick off.
    Now the links and shopping cart is up and running Im now trying to attract traffic. My website has immediatley attracted 50 visitors per day which is good I guess, but no sales. Im wondering if these visitors are viral trying to post spam in my site (I have a great spam addon for this)

I have a few ideas that Im going to try around my local area to get my website visitors up.

Im going through each of my pages and making sure that have suitable titles for SEO purposes.

This seems like such a long road to travel.
    Im contemplating pay per click with google and am currently making sure that I have submitted my website with each of the search engines.

I think I need a little web fairy who will do this for me in my sleep lol.

Cheers

Matt

http://2yourhome.com.au

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    2yourhome, post: 69479 wrote:
    My goodness this is a daunting task.
    Ive pretty much buit my first wordpress website.
    We sell Best selling books online. Much cheaper than Dymocks, boarders and the other big guys.
    Im trying to do as much of this by myself as I would prefer to have that sense of accomplishment when things start to kick off.
    Now the links and shopping cart is up and running Im now trying to attract traffic. My website has immediatley attracted 50 visitors per day which is good I guess, but no sales. Im wondering if these visitors are viral trying to post spam in my site (I have a great spam addon for this)

I have a few ideas that Im going to try around my local area to get my website visitors up.

Im going through each of my pages and making sure that have suitable titles for SEO purposes.

This seems like such a long road to travel.
    Im contemplating pay per click with google and am currently making sure that I have submitted my website with each of the search engines.

I think I need a little web fairy who will do this for me in my sleep lol.

Cheers

Matt

http://2yourhome.com.au

Your website did take a while to load. If you are targeting Australian consumers, it’d be best to move to Australian hosting.

A few things that are missing from your website.

1. A dedicated contact page
    2. An about us page
    3. A FAQ/Shipping page

Cheers,
    Shaun

Bappymills
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

Hi Matt

I know what you mean in trying to do most of the website yourself, I have done that with mine, it gets quite addictive. It is hard work though in doing all the SEO and promoting it is definitely an ongoing job. I don’t know how long you have had the website, but don’t expect many sales in the first year. My business in the UK took at least 12 months before I started to receive a steady stream of orders.

Have you done a business Facebook page? You can also link that to a Twitter page, so every time you Tweet it automatically adds it to your Facebook page. I am all for saving time!

I agree with Shaun you do need an “About Us” page, it tends to be one of the first things I look at when shopping online (I have created mine but haven’t put anything on it yet – its on my list of things to do immediately!). And you do need Shipping and Contact Us pages.

How can people pay you? Paypal? Put something on your home page regarding payment and create a Payment Terms page.

For me too, I think you need a category page as I don’t know where to look if I want a particular type of book ie. childrens stories.

Hope this helps and good luck!

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

OK, some tough love for you…

1. The home page (yes takes time to load) is rather uninspiring and quite a bit backyardish. The buy buttons and 1990 table look does not engender confidence.

2. Yes put everything into catagories, best sellers, Crime, etc. As you know each title can easily go into more than one category.

3. Details about each book. NOT nearly enough to allow people to make a confident buying decision. (from the few I looked at – only a line or so) You need a LOT more blurb, maybe even a readers feedback part on the page as well. You are up against VERY stiff and sophisticated competition, even in the free e-books area.

4. Shopping cart – get rid of the need to register. I NEVER buy from anywhere that makes it a must…

5. Logo – all that needs professionalising

6. Layout on home page – something is amiss there as it does not fill page properly (FF browser)

7 Move the search tool over to the left, that grey text is for???

8 Get your fonts all the same

9. Images, a lot of the covers are substandard – it all refelects on the trustworthiness of your business!

There is a lot more, but this and other’s suggestions will keep you busy for 24 hours or so.

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

First thoughts:

• The logo & basket buttons need to change.
    • Get your own email address as using a yahoo one doesn’t inspire any confidence
    • Get rid of this “Finally finished all the bugs on the website!!! “
    • Remove the ability to comment on pages

Overall design needs love, images too big & some badly over compressed.

Good luck.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

You have already received some good advice & here is mine.

You are in a very competitive arena & if you hope to compete against the other big booksellers then you are going to have to do it properly.

First up….. the site doesn’t look professional at all. I personally wouldn’t buy from a site that looked like that. I know you may not be able to afford to have it professionally done, but this is something you should have budgeted for when you decided to get into this business. If you can’t afford to get it professionally done, I would still look at purchasing a template for the shopping cart software you are using – would make the site look a whole lot better then it currently looks.

old_picker
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

i am going to add my 2c worth and suggest that you learn more about producing quality graphics and basic layout skills – the thumbnails for eg look very average and are definetly adding to the “weekend market” look

it is admirable that you are are having a go at this – you could be looking at the sites of your competitors and objectively analysing your effort

perhaps engage a young artist to design the layout for you – there are plenty of young hopefulls out there who will jump at an opportunity and willing to work for low cash – you might just end up with a cracker looking site

PR Guru Julie
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Matt

I can relate to you starting out with a new online business. It does take time.
    However, have you considered doing your own publicity? For instance, write a press release about your new business and send it to all the book/literary editors around Australia…there’s lots and they all have columns that they need to fill.
    There’s stacks of free tips on doing your own PR on our blog.

Good luck.
    Julie

RAds
    • Total posts: 126
    Up

I like books, I have a thousand or so at home. I have a website I sell books via Amazon affiliates that is starting to pick up, but its not a book store per se and I only sell a dozen or two a month. Fun though :)

Your site really doesn’t look professional – I did a search and got “no posts found”. Posts? You mean books?

The spelling errors and yahoo email address, posts by ‘admin’ and dodgy graphics really don’t inspire confidence. For the more technically minded, the site being on WordPress raises a huge red flag for me and I wouldn’t buy from it myself.

2yourhome
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Back to the drawing board

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    Giraffian, post: 69986 wrote:
    For the more technically minded, the site being on WordPress raises a huge red flag for me and I wouldn’t buy from it myself.

I don’t think the wordpress is an issue, but yes it needs proper integration and attention to small detail like ‘posts’ v ‘books’ and any familiarity to being a blog.

There are some excellent site out there selling, that use wordpress, but you have to look to recognise it.

2yourhome: it might take you several starts, but enjoy the journey many of us have done it before (and are still doing it!)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.