Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Getting off the ground

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MBB
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

This may seem very naive however I’m struggling to get this right in my own mind before I take the plunge. I’m looking to start working for myself early in 2017 as a builder looking to service the custom homes and unit development markets.

I carry all the required licenses and have many years hands on practical and management experience in the industry. I also have prior senior management experience in the manufacturing sector so I’m very comfortable with the business side of things.

My main reservation is how to best generate leads for potential projects. Costing, quoting and closing the sale, once again I’m fine with however with limited marketing experience to understand how powerful (or not) a website may be in primary lead generation or what other things I should be looking at. Of course I’m putting the word around my own networks although I have to be somewhat careful not to get myself sacked from my current job before I’m ready to leave.

My other problem is what sort of content I can put on a website for the near term till I have a few projects delivered with some photography to boot.

Any tips and suggestions with my dilemma will be gratefully received.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi and welcome to Flying Solo MBB.

Thanks for joining and posting here.

At the heart of any business is is your Unique Selling Proposition or USP – what specific problems will you be solving and who needs those problems solved.

Your intro already says a lot about you and I am sure you have thought about the issues previous clients have had and how you can do things better.

You probably also have thought about the locations you want to build in, and the category of homes you want to build in eg, first home buyer, custom, high end, narrow block, granny flat, etc.

Then there is your potential customers eg, young couples, savvy investors, second home, dream home buyers etc.

When you work your way through these types of questions then you can come up with some sales copy that will target the aspirations and pain points of your target market. eg

“Quality Second Homes In Frankston
    Your block, My 15 Years Building Experience”

You could use “content marketing” and Adwords + Facebook Ads to promote the content that addresses a pain point eg, trust

“30 Traps To Avoid When Building Your Dream Home”
    This positions you as very helpful and knowledgeable at the same time.

There are big forums in Aus where people post journals of their building experiences – get on their, set up your signature and be really helpful and generous with your advice.

And there are tons of facebook groups – local and also home building related. Get on them.

People trust people that want to help and want to reciprocate.

For your website, you can just create some images with a graphic designer that will show the kind of builds you will be doing.

Once you leave work, you will be able to unshackle your networking.

MBB
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, lots of great information there. Of course there are some niches which I prefer to work in however at this stage I’m more looking to run with whatever projects fall my way although going head to head with the big builders on price is not something I can either do profitably or aspire to.

That said there is plenty I can offer clients which is simply impossible from large or even medium size builders.

I hadn’t really considered paid adds in Facebook or google adwords. Does anybody have any first hand experience as to their effectiveness?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.