Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Getting ‘out there’ for a tradie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    ::

Hello Noworriesdimi

Call in on three or four Kitchen places explain what you are thinking about doing, you will be surprised how willing they will be to help you, they might not open their order book and give you endless amounts of work, but if you ask the right questions you’ll get the answers.

My guess is they will have a wholesale buy rate of $ per M2, if not they will indicate they are on a % then ask what they are receiving. Then it is up to you to crunch the numbers and work up a deal that is profitable for both parties.

Cheers

Steven

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    Karen Wardle, post: 28381 wrote:
    Hi

I would get myself a photo album. Not one of those big bulky types but a slim line, flip type one. They open up to display 25-50 photos on each side. Once you have some more than get a larger one.

For the future I would take before and after shots of each job, with maybe one or two pics of the steps along the way. You could also have a price scale with each photo depending on whether that method would work for you or not.

Good luck!

Or, if showing off the photos in person, a smartphone would be very good! I only wish I had one! You can store so many images, it’s ridiculous. And since you carry your phone anyway, your photos are always right there in your hands!!

wordmistress
    Up
    rowan, post: 28456 wrote:
    For a professional look, get a photobook made. It will cost you about $40 or so but they are certainly worth it.
    You will need a heap of photos and you can upload them to the site and place them in the book how you like – don’t worry, it is easy.

I use http://www.lulu.com but you can get photobooks done in Australia, I think you can even get them done through those kiosk machines in phographic stores as well.

These photobooks are a great way to get a professional looking portfolio of your work.

Cheers,
    Rowan

Ahh yes, brilliant idea! A friend of mine used lulu.com to self-publish a children’s book and it’s as good as the real deal.

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Hey noworriesdimi,

Another tradie here.

When you are looking at essentially splitting your profit with the joinery something you need to take into account is how much of the work you don’t need to do to win the job. Look at it this way, the joinery will have a showroom, sales staff etc and spend time taking the customer through their options. If the customer chooses your splashback then thats your reward for time and effort the other business has put in.

I don’t know what sort of margin you are working on but I figure a starting point would be halving it for joineries. What you are offering to do is wholesale your product/service to the joinery, and it may work better if you are selling your service to the joinery and they are on-selling it to the customer, rather than selling directly and giving the joinery a kickback.

You may wish to consider offering to install a splashback in the joineries demo kitchen or in a ‘home ideas’ centre if there is one near you.

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hello Noworriesdimi

Setting up a display as Power Protect suggested at a Home Centre is a great idea, but can be very expensive to set up and maintain. However the investment can be really be worthwhile as they pitch to a wide audience, both retail and wholesale and usually in the geographical are you wish to play in.

It would be worth the effort to investigate.

Cheers

Steven

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 28553 wrote:
    Or, if showing off the photos in person, a smartphone would be very good! I only wish I had one! You can store so many images, it’s ridiculous. And since you carry your phone anyway, your photos are always right there in your hands!!

Gina you’re right, you should get one :) they’re great and very handy.

I think phones are great for showing images but only if you don’t have another way of presenting them to clients.

The advantage with a book over the phone is that you can leave it with your customers while you measure up. Sure you can leave your phone with your client but that isn’t really practical. You don’t want the risk of clients deleting data from your phone. You also don’t want to miss calls that may come in while your potential client is looking at your phone.

The advantage of a book also is that the pictures are larger. Elderly clients especially cannot see small screens, even the larger ones that iphones etc now have. And often you need a larger shot to show the full perspective of the job.

From memory I think the Big W ones are around $27 for 20 or so photos. And you can choose the cover images etc yourself. I have seen a few of these and they look great.

I am not sure what lulu cost but I have heard great things about them also. A couple of colleagues have used them and were really happy. So I guess it comes down to convenience.

wordmistress
    Up

Karen, you don’t know how much I want one! :) But honestly, I’m trying to be disciplined and not buy things I don’t need. Not just for economy’s sake, but because I can be a terrible ‘Ms Consumer’, buying things and not really using them to full advantage. With that in mind, my current mobile serves well so can’t justify the purchase.

Excellent points you made about calls coming in while a customer is viewing the photos on the phone.

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Karen, you don’t know how much I want one! :)

I didn’t have to pay for mine so it really was a great deal!

Gina, I have noticed that you haven’t been at FS all that long but you have made a great number of posts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts so frequently, I for one have benefited from them.

wordmistress
    Up
    Karen Wardle, post: 28946 wrote:
    I didn’t have to pay for mine so it really was a great deal!

Gina, I have noticed that you haven’t been at FS all that long but you have made a great number of posts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts so frequently, I for one have benefited from them.

Karen, thanks! That came out of the blue, and was much appreciated. I’ve been really quite busy this week so I haven’t been here as much but rest assured, I’m missing it! I’m always happy to be contacted via my website email address if anyone has any questions I can help with. Private message is absolutely fine but I like to keep email ‘conversations’ for future reference all in one place.

Really, Karen, thanks :).

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.