Home – New Forums Selling online Getting so confused and angry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mel P
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi there, I am needing some advice. I am about to put my business online with a shopping cart attached – everything through GoDaddy. I am finding it hard to accept credit card payments as a result of having my shopping cart with GoDaddy. My question is, should I in fact create my website and shopping cart through a different company? I registered my domain name over a year ago. As much advice and information is greatly appreciated!

Mep

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Mep,

Although i am not an expert in this area, i am not sure there is enough information to assess this (unless GoDaddy have a blanket ban on shopping carts) issue you are having.

What problem are you experiencing? what shopping cart are you using? what type of merchant facility? what web site? are you building the site or a professional?

Cheers and sure you will have many help out..

Jason
    EDIT ** oh are you using there web design service?

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Are you sure it’s just Godaddy, and not a web site compliance issue?

To handle credit cards direct from a site requires some heavy compliance issues, unless you use a third party gateway, regardless of where it’s hosted.

A bit more info about your setup, and I’m sure there’d be an expert here that can help.

Cheers, Greg

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Mel – I think there are two things as an issue here to look at.

1. If you want to take credit card payments you are best using a gateway like PayPal or eWay. This is because you have to have a secure certificate and PayPal, for example, already has this in place.

2. If you don’t use a gateway then you must have secure certificates and other things installed on your server which are not on a basic hosting service. And there are privacy rules to be adhered to also.

I believe that the easiest way through for you at this time is to get a business PayPal account and use PayPal as your system through the shopping cart. Then the people purchasing can use either a credit card or their bank account without having a PayPal account themselves.

Cheers.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Try Shopify, from what I’ve heard its easy and simple to understand.

Any credit card payments would have to be through a gateway system like eWay, very simple to use and you just have to authorise it through your bank.

Paypal acts differently in that respect, it’s like a bank on it’s own and if possible try and get customers to pay through an eWay gateway. Paypals commissions hurt in the long-term.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Mel P, post: 162875 wrote:
    Hi there, I am needing some advice. I am about to put my business online with a shopping cart attached – everything through GoDaddy. I am finding it hard to accept credit card payments as a result of having my shopping cart with GoDaddy. My question is, should I in fact create my website and shopping cart through a different company? I registered my domain name over a year ago. As much advice and information is greatly appreciated!

Mep

Hi Mel I think that the problem that you have is that Go Daddy online stores have a facility to setup a merchant account but it is limited to USA based businesses only. I think the other problem you will have is that they don’t support Australian tax or shipping calculations. Unfortunately cheap is not always best and solutions like Go Daddy or Shopify if you don’t understand will end up costing more than you expect. For example Shopify have a cheap start-up plan but charge a 2% transaction fee over and above the credit card or PayPal fees. Basically a rip-off.

There are many good Australian based solutions and even Australia Post now sell online stores – My Online Shop. There are others as well like iiNet, Ashop, Neto and even our solution.

You can get a developer (many on this forum) to setup a online store using WordPress and a plugin like Woocommerce which will end up costing you about the same as Go Daddy monthly. You will have to pay some initial setup and design costs but not huge.

Part of the costs depend on what you sell, how many products and the features that you want.

Regards

John

DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Another suggestion is keeping your domain name with Godaddy, but hosting the domain externally with a provider with cPanel with Fantastico plugin. Fantastico has a number of easy to use free cart scripts such as Zencart and OsCommerce you can install in a click.

Ben_Oz
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 162961 wrote:
    For example Shopify have a cheap start-up plan but charge a 2% transaction fee over and above the credit card or PayPal fees. Basically a rip-off.

I would have to disagree with you on Shopify. We are using them currently and it’s been great. Easy to setup (I’ve done it all myself), easily integrates with payment gateways and was easy to swap over to point to our domain (purchased from Go Daddy).

Yes, they do take 2% on the lowest tariff, 1% on the tariff I’m on, and believe the next one up they don’t take anything. So I definitely wouldn’t call it a ripoff. Maybe not the cheapest option, but a good one in my opinion.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Hi Mel,

I went to answer your questions but John Debrincat has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

We’ve had a number of merchants come to eWAY and wanting to use the GoDaddy Shopping Cart but unfortunately it’s not geared towards Australian businesses.

All of the carts that John has mentioned are there or thereabouts on integrating with our latest payment solution which includes free basic fraud prevention and the option for more advanced fraud prevention and 3dSecure etc so from a payments perspective they’re very easy to get going.

There’s no problem having your domain name with GoDaddy but it may be worthwhile looking at having your webstore/hosting with an Australian business, purely for the better site response speeds. You wouldn’t want any impatient buyers leaving the store before a page loads!

Hope that helps,

Maclean

John Debrincat
    Up
    Ben_Oz, post: 163130 wrote:
    I would have to disagree with you on Shopify. We are using them currently and it’s been great. Easy to setup (I’ve done it all myself), easily integrates with payment gateways and was easy to swap over to point to our domain (purchased from Go Daddy).

Yes, they do take 2% on the lowest tariff, 1% on the tariff I’m on, and believe the next one up they don’t take anything. So I definitely wouldn’t call it a ripoff. Maybe not the cheapest option, but a good one in my opinion.

On the lowest plans which is where they get most of the business they will cost 3 to 4 times more per month for a merchant who is actually transacting online i.e. selling stuff. They appeal to people looking for a cheap entry but the costs rapidly escalate. The Shopify product is a good product and functional but needs paid add-ons to really work well, but from a cost view point I stand by what I have said.

Also keep an eye on the US Dollar over the next year and see what might happen if it goes back toward US$0.80c to the Australian dollar. That will mean a 20% price increase. By the way Shopify customers in Australia have seen around a 5% price increase in the last month or so due to the exchange rate.

They have also started promoting themselves as an “Australian” solution via a com.au domain which I believe is very misleading. They are based, hosted, supported, managed and invoiced from the USA.

I hate bagging the competition and I see Shopify as a good provider with good technology but I would like to see them act more responsibly.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Godaddy is good for domain names, not so great for anything else.

I recommend, Woocommerce. Cost effective, very functional, everything you ever need in a shopping cart, and highly scalable.

illuso
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi,

What about trying bigcommerce?
    I am also running an online store using bigcommerce platform and they provide Australian merchant gateway and post system as well. I am only using paypal at the moment but I am pretty sure you can integrate merchant gate way which you can use in Australia.

John Templeton
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Hi illuso

Can you provide a bit more information about bigcommerce? Sounds like it might be right up my alley.

Thanks

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

BigCommerce is a good solution. Woocommerce has all the same features, and is based on WordPress which is cool.

Wherever you choose, if anybody suggests epages to you, run a mile.

I had the extreme misfortune doing some minor edits for a client getting ready to do some Adwords, and a more clumsy, inflexable, and user unfriendly system
    I have never seen.

Good luck with it.

John Debrincat
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 164579 wrote:
    Wherever you choose, if anybody suggests epages to you, run a mile.

I had the extreme misfortune doing some minor edits for a client getting ready to do some Adwords, and a more clumsy, inflexable, and user unfriendly system
    I have never seen.

Good luck with it.

Hello Matthew, that is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard and extremely bad advice to offer on a forum. I have no idea what version of ePages you were asked to work on nor company, however there are 1,000’s of our customers using ePages successfully in Australia that would not agree with you. ePages has over 80,000 shops worldwide, more than BigCommerce or Shopify.

We have customers that have moved from BigCommerce, Shopify, Magento and WordPress/WooCommerce and have found ePages simpler to use and manage for themselves, without the need to pay for a technical person to do work for them. The interface is very user friendly and very simple to learn. Developing an online store in ePages is less expensive and offers more flexibility than other hosted solutions or dedicated solutions like Magento for larger businesses.

If you do not understand how to use ePages we would happily provide you with the training. But to criticise a system that you patently do not understand is extremely unprofessional.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.