Home Forums New here? Share your story Getting started with an old family recipe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LJooks
    • Total posts: 1

I’m interested in producing and selling an old family recipe from my Great Grandmother in England, its like a chutney and I’ve never tasted anything else like it. I currently make it to give it away to friends and family every so often but considering testing the waters at a famers market to see how it does. Those that try it, love it and many that have tried it have suggested that I make a business out of it.

What will I need to get started on such a small operation? Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you

Liam

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=116790]@LJooks[/USER] . It is great having you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

There are a few posts asking this question, maybe hit the search button on the forum and you will find some, I think a lot of people are still away on holidays.

But you will need to look at food handling laws in your state, rules re kitchen, labelling, etc. But I have seen a few posts covering it

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

And the big one insurance

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    LJooks, post: 268244, member: 116790 wrote:
    I’m interested in producing and selling an old family recipe from my Great Grandmother in England, its like a chutney and I’ve never tasted anything else like it. I currently make it to give it away to friends and family every so often but considering testing the waters at a famers market to see how it does. Those that try it, love it and many that have tried it have suggested that I make a business out of it.

What will I need to get started on such a small operation? Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you

Liam
    Hi Liam,

Firstly welcome to the forums.

Good idea to test the waters at local markets before investing too much, but in saying that regardless of a home based food business or a huge giant food producer, you have the same guidelines to follow.

This is to be your food business reference point:

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/foodsafety/standards/Pages/Home-based-food-businesses.aspx

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/foodsafety/standards/Pages/Food-safety-requirements.aspx

The InfoBites page is a good quick reference guide for you :)

Read everything on this page and all PDF’s. This will guide you

All the best
    Mischelle :):)

m.dance
    • Total posts: 17

Welcome Liam, As mentioned above you want to test the waters at local markets.

All the best!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.