Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Getting traffic to your website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    altaimage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 98
    Up
    ::

Google adwords is an easy and relatively cheap starting block to get some interest, but spend some time on what keywords people are going to use to find you. Ask your friends what they’d type into Google to find your site and then you’ll have real world experience of what the average consumer is going to type. Also hit conventional marketing. Get your analytics down and then see if a leaflet drop brings increased traffic or a small radio advert? Do small pieces of marketing and track your visitors. Start off small and build up and soon you’ll know exactly what get’s people pushing through Google to land at your site.

We just done a small leaflet drop of 500 residential houses and we had 38 hits directly into the site – all from the region we delivered in. With clever tracking we noticed 18 hit our contact page and this is what I’m going to assume is the reason we just landed 14 new customers within the last four days.

Get your print marketing and online marketing right and people will come to you, but you need to work out your strategy well before pumping money into marketing, even a small print campaign can run up costs relatively quickly.

All the best though with increasing online traffic – just remember it’s only a small part of marketing.

http://www.altaimage.com.au

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    SW123, post: 0 wrote:
    smile888

all these are OK and fine but really mate they dont work – they are ok and can perhaps trickle a few odd leads to your site but words like HOT HOT are in my humble opinion not true – when people want a product or service they go online
    and they go to google – so I feel that a concerted comprehensive well thought out SEO campaign is the way to go – other mediums may deliver some results that will be minor compared to the enormous traffic you will get through google – for my company we are #2 nationally for the keywords : web design + graphic design and it is proving to be a good lead generator.
    So if you REALLY want to get the phone ringing then get a seo campaign happening.

Cheers

Steve
    hoppingmad web design sydney graphic design sydney

From what I can see all SEO seems to be about is getting your keywords on your webpage as many times as possible…!

I’m the second company listed under “audio typing” – why? Because that’s the domain name!

Other than having your keywords on your page hundreds of times or being lucky enough to have a decent domain name what else can you do?

bridiej
    Up
    altaimage, post: 52367 wrote:
    Google adwords is an easy and relatively cheap starting block to get some interest, but spend some time on what keywords people are going to use to find you. Ask your friends what they’d type into Google to find your site and then you’ll have real world experience of what the average consumer is going to type. Also hit conventional marketing. Get your analytics down and then see if a leaflet drop brings increased traffic or a small radio advert? Do small pieces of marketing and track your visitors. Start off small and build up and soon you’ll know exactly what get’s people pushing through Google to land at your site.

Google adwords has done nothing for me, other than cost me money

I’ve just ordered a few of the “For Dummies” books that were recommended to me – SEO, Google Adwords and Pay Per Click.

Perhaps they’ll help shed some light on why it’s not working for me…

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    bridiej, post: 52418 wrote:
    From what I can see all SEO seems to be about is getting your keywords on your webpage as many times as possible…!

I’m the second company listed under “audio typing” – why? Because that’s the domain name!

Other than having your keywords on your page hundreds of times or being lucky enough to have a decent domain name what else can you do?
    Hi Bridiej,
    I think SEO is more complex than you may realise…

From what I can see you are about to undergo SE death. The second company listed under “audio typing” is audiotyping.com, not btstranscripts.com. It looks to me like audiotyping.com is about to disappear from Google. When that happens all your SE referrals are likely to disappear.

My definition of SEO is attracting SE referrals with the WIDEST range of RELEVANT search phrases.

Targeting a single phrase like “audio typing” is not what I call SEO. What that does is get your website in front of a bunch of people who will never be your clients and if they do click through to your site they will hit their back buttons ASAP. They will then modify their search terms to get more relevant websites.

I hope someone is fixing your website problems for you.

Regs,

JohnW

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    JohnW, post: 52430 wrote:
    Hi Bridiej,
    I think SEO is more complex than you may realise…

From what I can see you are about to undergo SE death. The second company listed under “audio typing” is audiotyping.com, not btstranscripts.com. It looks to me like audiotyping.com is about to disappear from Google. When that happens all your SE referrals are likely to disappear.

EDIT: I’m not going to delete the below post since it’s here now, but it may not all be correct. I didn’t realise that audiotyping.com was your site as well, I presumed this is a competitor. Either way though, having the same content on two different domains how you have them set up is BAD. – Matt

Bridie I actually don’t think you are ranked #2 for audio typing, and you probably haven’t been ranked there at any stage. However on your computer it is probably coming up there and you are thinking John and I are crazy.

What is happening is that Google now personalises pretty much ALL results to the user. So if you click through to your website yourself a lot, Google will then think that that site is highly relevant to you, and push it up the results. Please note though it doesn’t push it up the results for everyone, just on your computer.

To show what everyone else who has never searched for that term before is seeing, you need to firstly clear your cache and cookies in your web browser.

Then, do a search in Google. At the top right corner you will see a link called Web History. Click this, and select “Disable customizations based on search activity”. (Not despite how it may look, if you don’t clear your cookies you will get some personalization, so both steps are needed).

bridiej, post: 52418 wrote:

As John said there is a LOT more to SEO than you may realise, and “getting your keywords on your webpage as many times as possible” only only about 1% of what’s involved; in fact, having the keywords on there too many times is bad as well.

Rather than reading some “SEO for dummies” book, I would really suggest going over and having another look as a starting point at the Google SEO basics document John linked to in another thread. Although you agreed that all of it seemed too basic, looking over your site now there are quite a few things I’m sure are mentioned in that document that you aren’t doing correctly.

A couple other things with your site I noticed that aren’t good:
    1) The lack of a logo and just small text instead, use of clipart and a really generic looking stock photo, combined with your selected template, makes the whole site look a bit “fake”. I personally would not trust it if I went there and didn’t know you from here. You had another site before this one i’m sure, not sure why you have changed as this seems a bit of a backward step.

2) The template you have chosen for your site isn’t a good choice for another reason. Basically it’s given away free “in exchange” for the fact there is a spammy link down the bottom in the footer, that I suspect can’t be removed (or the template will break). The link I am talking about is the one labelled 1monthloan.co.uk. Ironically though it looks like whoever made the template has messed up, and the link goes to somewhere else than they intended by the look of it.

I personally can’t stand free templates that have these type of “sponsor” links down the bottom. And nothing says “I’m not serious about business” more than “free template provided by” text, especially when there are some decent free ones without this, and excellent paid ones in the $10-$50 category out there.

Matt

bridiej
    Up

Thanks for being so blunt – lol

I am planning to use the btstranscripts site as some sort of landing page, I just haven’t figured out the best way to go about it which is why it has the same content…. I have a .co.uk and a .com.au (as I wanted two separate sites aimed at each market with their own prices and contact details on), somehow the .com will give people the choice of which country they’re in so which site they want to see, like I said haven’t worked out the best way to do this yet… it maybe that having separate sites for the two countries doesn’t work out anyway and I just have one generic site with the .co.uk and .com.au both pointed towards it.

My other site I had before was a free template and I preferred this one…. I have been investigating other pay-for templates rather than free ones, I get a bit stuck on what’s best to do!!! I did get a quote for someone to build me a site but it was hundreds of dollars and I don’t have that at the moment.

I have read the Google thing and thought I was doing most of it – a lot of the jargon they use goes over my head, hence ordering the “For dummies” books as they’ve been recommended to me from someone else who finds it all a bit technical.

ShanghaiSi
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Lots of talk about adwords and SEO but nothing about other methods…

1. What about keyword rich content creation, blogging and auto pinging..or do we call that SEO?
    2. What about Article marketing? Free and Effective.
    3. What about email newsletters, giving away a free informational product in exchange for an email address with double opt-in?
    4. What about working that email list regularly by auto linking to your blogging activities too?

All of this assumes you know what your keywords are, you have solid SEO in place, are generating backlinks by genuinely participating in forums, engaging in social media (actually engaging not just collecting friends) etc etc.

Really depends what type of product or service you have to sell and how unique, different, compelling or relevant what you have is to the visitors that re actually searching for it.

Easy to get lots of traffic, hard to get lots of relevant traffic!

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    bridiej, post: 52446 wrote:
    I am planning to use the btstranscripts site as some sort of landing page, I just haven’t figured out the best way to go about it which is why it has the same content….

I have read the Google thing and thought I was doing most of it – a lot of the jargon they use goes over my head, hence ordering the “For dummies” books as they’ve been recommended to me from someone else who finds it all a bit technical.
    Hi Bridiej,

It looks like you have a duplicate content problem with audiotyping.com.au and btstranscripts.com.

What is ranking #4 for “audio typing” is an old version of the Home page of audiotyping.com.au.

Here is Goolge’s current attempt to sort out its confusion.

1. audiotyping.com.au
    Home page is indexed. This was lasted indexed by Google on 25 Sep
    All other pages from this domain have been deleted from Google’s index.

2. btstranscripts.com
    Home page has not been indexed or has been deleted from the index.
    One internal page has been indexed.

Unfortunately the Google Starters Guide did not address duplicate content problems.

Regs,

JohnW

bridiej
    Up
    marketingweb, post: 52441 wrote:
    A couple other things with your site I noticed that aren’t good:
    1) The lack of a logo and just small text instead, use of clipart and a really generic looking stock photo, combined with your selected template, makes the whole site look a bit “fake”. I personally would not trust it if I went there and didn’t know you from here. You had another site before this one i’m sure, not sure why you have changed as this seems a bit of a backward step.

2) The template you have chosen for your site isn’t a good choice for another reason. Basically it’s given away free “in exchange” for the fact there is a spammy link down the bottom in the footer, that I suspect can’t be removed (or the template will break). The link I am talking about is the one labelled 1monthloan.co.uk. Ironically though it looks like whoever made the template has messed up, and the link goes to somewhere else than they intended by the look of it.

I personally can’t stand free templates that have these type of “sponsor” links down the bottom. And nothing says “I’m not serious about business” more than “free template provided by” text, especially when there are some decent free ones without this, and excellent paid ones in the $10-$50 category out there.

Matt

Is this better? http://btstranscripts.com/

(Apart from couple of tweaks needed, waiting for support to advise!)

:o)

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    bridiej, post: 52561 wrote:
    Is this better? http://btstranscripts.com/

(Apart from couple of tweaks needed, waiting for support to advise!)

:o)

Hi Bridie,

Looking MUCH better, definitely. There are a lot of things you can improve still of course, as well all can, but it’s definitely a MUCH better starting point, well done.

I notice you have now redirected all domains to the one domain of http://btstranscripts.com/ , which you have done correctly on an overall domain basis (I haven’t checked individual page redirects, suspect they aren’t correct). This is one strategy, the other possible one is to develop completely different sites for each – the point we were making was just don’t make them all the same which you had it as.

The next step I would advise is look at the content of your homepage. For example, you have a whole lot of good phrases in your Title tag which is great (it’s a little long, but that’s not the end of the world). However most of these phrases don’t appear on your homepage at all. If these are the phrases you want to rank for, you need to work as many as possible of them (or at a minimum the words they contain) into the text – while still making it sound natural and convincing. There is a real skill to this (getting text right for BOTH humans and search engines) which can take time to learn, but at least give it another look with that concept in mind.

The other thing I noticed is you have your site set up in WordPress to be based on http://btstranscripts.com without the www, which is the default setting. But on your profile signature for example, you are using the www.
    With the redirects in place it will still work, but it’s best to stick with one other the other, whichever you prefer – either change the setting in WordPress wp-admin or promote it without the www.

Matt

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.