Home – New Forums Starting your journey Getting Your Foot In The Door

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Clinton Moore
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I’ve been working at generating leads for the last 6 months with my new business, but it’s proving to be a very slow process.

One of the biggest challenges I’ve faced is getting my foot in the door with other local businesses to create some form of referral pathway. As my service involves working with seniors, I had thought that groups such as retirement villages and funeral homes would be good groups to link in with. However, gaining access to people within these organisations has proven difficult.

My experience with LinkedIn as a networking device has pretty average so far. Most people seem to be willing to rack up connections, but are uninterested in engaging in conversation that could lead to collaboration.

I appreciate of course that networking and building relationships takes time, but I’d love to hear your ideas on how you get your foot in the door with other businesses when providing an individual service rather than a mass market product.

Cheers,
    Clinton

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I have found Linkedin a pretty poor resource, and I can’t see how it would work well for your business. Apart from that, I went to your website and found that it would not load on some browsers and was slow to load most pages and once timed out on Chrome. You might have to look at how you host the pictures or the photo sizes.
    Have you offered a free one-off package to one of the local old folks home to let them see what you do and how you do it?

The other little niggle I have that in your opening paragraph you have the sentence “Why leave it to old photographs and family trees to tell your life story when you can record it to video yourself”
    Without any knowledge of making videos myself it sort of comes across as people doing the actual recording themselves. I don’t think that is how it works so it might be better to say something along the lines of “let me video your grandparents talking about their lives” or something.

I don’t have any advice for word or mouth advertising as your business is way out of my experience.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I’m wondering if you are actually aiming at the wrong people to partner with.

Firstly funeral homes, you are to late in the life cycle. (Sorry meant in a nice way).

Retirement homes, are you making an assumption that everyone in a retirement home is about to check out, and do they really want just another reminder of how short life is.

Not saying that it’s not a good service to offer, but I wonder if you really understand your market.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Facebook advertising is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of your service – conceptually, you could target people looking for other services or items eg, mobility scooters or do something around Anzac Day.

It would not hurt to speak to a few FB experts to find out what is possible and how much it would cost.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    Up

I saw a program on TV some years ago about a business the same as this. I liked the idea at the time. Sorry, still don’t have any ideas for you, just saying that I like the concept. I wish I knew why that original business either never took off, or why it is not known after this amount of time if they are still going.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Firstly funeral homes, you are to late in the life cycle. (Sorry meant in a nice way).

Actually, I reckon this is a great one.

Having a father who died a couple of years ago made me realise how important the forward planning was. Last thing you want to be doing is wading through all that stuff at the time. My parents had done everything in relation to planning their future care and funeral arrangements.

Not everyone preplans to the extent they did of course, but I reckon that would be an ideal time for someone to think about what they want to leave behind in terms of memories.

Clinton Moore
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 263289, member: 28171 wrote:
    I have found Linkedin a pretty poor resource, and I can’t see how it would work well for your business. Apart from that, I went to your website and found that it would not load on some browsers and was slow to load most pages and once timed out on Chrome. You might have to look at how you host the pictures or the photo sizes.
    Have you offered a free one-off package to one of the local old folks home to let them see what you do and how you do it?

The other little niggle I have that in your opening paragraph you have the sentence “Why leave it to old photographs and family trees to tell your life story when you can record it to video yourself”
    Without any knowledge of making videos myself it sort of comes across as people doing the actual recording themselves. I don’t think that is how it works so it might be better to say something along the lines of “let me video your grandparents talking about their lives” or something.

I don’t have any advice for word or mouth advertising as your business is way out of my experience.

Mmm, very strange about that loading time. Was that on a mobile or desktop? I normally get really good speed ratings when I test on pingdom.

Yes I’ve tried to get in with the old folks homes by connecting with the managers via LinkedIn, but there’s little conversation taking place. It probably doesn’t help that we’re at this time of year.

That’s a great catch on the website! I’ll definitely change that copy.

Cheers

Clinton Moore
    Up
    bb1, post: 263290, member: 53375 wrote:
    I’m wondering if you are actually aiming at the wrong people to partner with.

Retirement homes, are you making an assumption that everyone in a retirement home is about to check out, and do they really want just another reminder of how short life is.

Not saying that it’s not a good service to offer, but I wonder if you really understand your market.

Hi Bert,

my thinking with the funeral homes was connecting with the people who were pre-planning. However, I didn’t realise how much of a monolith this industry was until I started trying to connect.

Regarding the funeral homes you bring up a good point. It’s the challenge with this service. You’re asking people to summarise their family history and life which inevitably carries the suggestion that they’re not going to be here to do it themselves for much longer. So it’s a fine balance marketing-wise. I’ve found people are more receptive to the idea of recording their family history rather than their life story.

Cheers

Clinton Moore
    Up
    Johny, post: 263306, member: 34822 wrote:
    Actually, I reckon this is a great one.

Having a father who died a couple of years ago made me realise how important the forward planning was. Last thing you want to be doing is wading through all that stuff at the time. My parents had done everything in relation to planning their future care and funeral arrangements.

Not everyone preplans to the extent they did of course, but I reckon that would be an ideal time for someone to think about what they want to leave behind in terms of memories.

Yes this was my thinking as well. It’s just a tough industry to break into.

Clinton Moore
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 263297, member: 78928 wrote:
    Facebook advertising is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of your service – conceptually, you could target people looking for other services or items eg, mobility scooters or do something around Anzac Day.

It would not hurt to speak to a few FB experts to find out what is possible and how much it would cost.

Thanks Paul. I think this is definitely an avenue I’m going to have to investigate more thoroughly.

Clinton Moore
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 263304, member: 28171 wrote:
    I saw a program on TV some years ago about a business the same as this. I liked the idea at the time. Sorry, still don’t have any ideas for you, just saying that I like the concept. I wish I knew why that original business either never took off, or why it is not known after this amount of time if they are still going.

Yes it seems to be a much larger industry in the USA. One thing I remember is that before committing to the idea I enquired with some colleagues in the film/TV industry and the best comment was “everyone agrees this is a great idea, but none of us would want to do it”. The idea seemed to be that corporate shoots were a lot more profitable and easier to line up.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    Up
    Clinton Moore, post: 263307, member: 113105 wrote:
    Mmm, very strange about that loading time. Was that on a mobile or desktop? I normally get really good speed ratings when I test on pingdom.

It was desktop, windows.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 263313, member: 28171 wrote:
    It was desktop, windows.

I just tried it and very very slow on IE 10, but ok on chrome, also a deskptop

ContentCreative
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

[USER=34822]@Johny[/USER] ‘s way of looking at the funeral homes possibility is interesting. Catching people at the moment their thoughts are on the topic can be good, though needs to be careful with the approach.

Regarding the slow website, try looking at the logs from your hosting account. I had a few websites that were being hit with low-level Denial-of-Service attacks. They were being hit multiple times per second from specific internet locations which was causing the server to struggle.

This sometimes caused timeouts when trying to load the site, but can vary from moment-to-moment depending on the attack. Message me and I can run you through how to address this (if in fact this is the problem).

Clinton Moore
    Up
    ContentCreative, post: 263319, member: 113115 wrote:
    [USER=34822]@Johny[/USER] ‘s way of looking at the funeral homes possibility is interesting. Catching people at the moment their thoughts are on the topic can be good, though needs to be careful with the approach.

Regarding the slow website, try looking at the logs from your hosting account. I had a few websites that were being hit with low-level Denial-of-Service attacks. They were being hit multiple times per second from specific internet locations which was causing the server to struggle.

This sometimes caused timeouts when trying to load the site, but can vary from moment-to-moment depending on the attack. Message me and I can run you through how to address this (if in fact this is the problem).

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve examined the speed problem as I think it’s more likely to be a symptom of being on a shared server. Load speed seems to vary heavily based on the time of day. The logs didn’t give much evidence of a small DDoS attack. I guess a little more work on optimising can never hurt as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.