Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Gift card options for Shopify

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    PistolandBoo
    • Total posts: 47
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

So I’ve recently started a new online store selling stylish and colourful bamboo socks http://www.pistolandboo.com.au I want to sell branded gift cards for my business but Shopify insists you are at least on their Professional or Unlimited Plan (From $79 month).

My question to the group is what gift card solution do you use and what are the associated fees and charges?

I know you can get branded mastercards/visa and other options. Has anyone tried something like this or do they have another idea?

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say on this one.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Most probably not as professional or efficient as using something like the shopify version. But I have seen some online stores which just have them as a separate SKU, say maybe a $20 and $50 item, and than you just do the gift card manually (you can still email them). Like I said not as professional or simple, but maybe an option until you see if there is a demand for them.

PistolandBoo
    Up

Thanks Bert. That’s a good idea. So potentially I could print some generic gift cards and print a unique code on the back of each. Hmmm… I wonder if that would get messy? Maybe not as it would be small volumes initially wouldn’t it?

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    PistolandBoo, post: 228611, member: 76573 wrote:
    Thanks Bert. That’s a good idea. So potentially I could print some generic gift cards and print a unique code on the back of each. Hmmm… I wonder if that would get messy? Maybe not as it would be small volumes initially wouldn’t it?

Just realised I have 2 sitting here waiting for me to use. And that’s exactly how they have done it, I know the guy who runs one of the stores, and I think if it was to messy he wouldn’t do it. And like you say small volumes, handle the mess to see if people will use it before going to any expense of upgrading subscriptions or plug ins or whatever other solution happens along..

I have being into some of the smaller shop fronts and all they have is an exercise book, where they keep a record of them all, I am not saying that’s efficient, or good practice, but until you know if there is a demand. Particularly as you have a small range at the moment would people rather give a gift card, or just buy the sox outright.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    PistolandBoo, post: 228611, member: 76573 wrote:

It can be done like that, just check that Shopify has a ‘1 use only’ option for coupon codes.
    I know they have a ‘1 use per customer’ option, but double check that it can’t be shared between several people.

PistolandBoo
    Up

Yep. Decision made. I think I will get some nice looking business card size gift vouchers done up with gold foil. I should be able to print codes on the back then and as John mentioned I can generate a unique code in Shopify each time. Thanks John, I would have forgotten to tick that box.

Bert, I think you might have seen my sight last week, I’ve just added LOTS of new socks for pre-order. They should arrive in about 2-3 weeks and they are awesome!

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    PistolandBoo, post: 228631, member: 76573 wrote:
    Bert, I think you might have seen my sight last week, I’ve just added LOTS of new socks for pre-order. They should arrive in about 2-3 weeks and they are awesome!

Wow, they will see me coming a mile away, they look impressive

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Hi there Kelly,

In my online store I just knocked up a design in Adobe InDesign and then had them printed as business cards by Vista Print. I think 500 cost me about $20 delivered.

I was only doing 5% and was including it in every order sent though, you’d obviously need to handwrite each coupon number on them.

By the way… LOVE the site! There’s a few staff in the eWAY office that are mad about funky socks so I’ll share it around and see if we can get a few orders put through.

Good luck :)

Maclean

PistolandBoo
    Up
    eWAY, post: 228666, member: 44733 wrote:
    Hi there Kelly,

In my online store I just knocked up a design in Adobe InDesign and then had them printed as business cards by Vista Print. I think 500 cost me about $20 delivered.

I was only doing 5% and was including it in every order sent though, you’d obviously need to handwrite each coupon number on them.

By the way… LOVE the site! There’s a few staff in the eWAY office that are mad about funky socks so I’ll share it around and see if we can get a few orders put through.

Maclean

Good idea Maclean! I’ve seen Vista Print and wondered about their quality. How quickly did you receive them? $20 is a fantastic price.

If your work colleagues are keen on our socks, tell them I have a launch special at the moment for 25% off, FRIENDS25. It’s valid until mid-March if you wanted to pass it on.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Kelly,

I got a heap of cards printed from Vista Print the other week (premium range), they have raised spot gloss embossing and everything, the quality is fantastic, just upload your design and away you go.

Remember to make sure you get the double sided option, you can custom design the back too, so you can put your codes on the back.

This would be an affordable start for you, and as the needs grow you can look at other options.

Also you need to make sure you have a digital version as an option. I get a lot of digital gift cards as presents for family etc, I do this mostly due to the fact I am too busy to get to the post office to post physical gift cards LOL.

PistolandBoo
    Up

Thanks Michelle. I think I will give Vista Print a try. Out of interest, how/ who did you use for your digital version? I use Shopify for our eCommerce and they have pretty much blocked all apps from integrating…I’m sure there is a solution though.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Kelly,

There is no basic work around for automated gift cards on Shopify, as you need to have the Gift Card option active (IE higher plans). BUT…..

QUESTION: I can see you have PayPal on your store do you have a Premier or Business account with PayPal? If you do, they have a gift card options which can be used at checkout.

The only limitation that you will have is that PayPal must be used to redeem the card.

Other Option:

Obviously you can do everything in Shopify (sort of automatically) if there are only a few cards:

• Create a collection call “Gift Cards”
    • Create a product with each Gift Card Name $50 or $100 etc add to the Gift Cards Collection
    • Create a Unique Discount Code for each Gift Card value
    • Apply the discount code to each product in the collection
    • Select the limit of use to one
    • Set the expiry date
    • Set up the email that is sent with the discount code.

OR do the whole thing manually, create a pretty template fir the Gift Card, create a unique discount code to the value of the amount purchased and sent the email. You will still need to set up a product called Gift Card $50 etc so they can actually buy it :)

Make sure you monitor the discount code use in shopify.

I really hope this isn’t too confusing.

Combes
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I have been thinking about this.

I am an online businesses that sells from Facebook and ebay.

I was thinking of creating business cards with a blank back for a discount code for say 5% off next purchase.
    Then keep a book with a list of codes. Then write the persons name next to the code.
    When they email me with the code on next purchase i take off 5% and cross of that code in my book.

I was thinking of using Vista print for cards.

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up

Sadly, this business is close.

In relation to the below

Combes, post: 244911, member: 87648 wrote:
    I have been thinking about this.

I am an online businesses that sells from Facebook and ebay.

I was thinking of creating business cards with a blank back for a discount code for say 5% off next purchase.
    Then keep a book with a list of codes. Then write the persons name next to the code.
    When they email me with the code on next purchase i take off 5% and cross of that code in my book.

I was thinking of using Vista print for cards.

That is a lot of manual work. Why dont you try a discount code on ebay or invest that printing on the website (shopify for example) which had apps to take care of this work for you at $10 usd a month roughly with 30 days free trial

Combes
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I dont have enough for a shopify store at the moment being still relatively new and sometimes not much sales.
    This is the next best option while I have only small amounts of orders.

Wish i could afford shopify.

That is a lot of manual work. Why dont you try a discount code on ebay or invest that printing on the website (shopify for example) which had apps to take care of this work for you at $10 usd a month roughly with 30 days free trial

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.