• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    1911naomi
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    ::

Hi – i am have written few posts lately so my apologies.

I have an idea and a product that I’m passionate about and want to import and sell it online in a website i create.

I have a finance background working at a bank currently on maternity leave.

My best friend was eager to go into partnership with this but has decided to pull out.

Im 100% going to give this a go but am scared to do it solo as i like bouncing things off someone and getting opinions.

My strengths : setting up the business, register, website, liaison and order products, shipping, background stuff, answering customer enquiries, budgets/accounts and making sure things run on track and deadlines are met.

My Weakness and what my friend was going to bring – help choose colours/help choose which products from sample/help design packaging/design website and most importantly wording this – she is great with words such as on my website “about us” updating business Facebook page etc when we have it set up.
    I guess the more creative side – i would feel stupid writing airy fairy stuff on Facebook etc to get my business out there

So anyone started a business more experienced in one area and not the other how did you overcome this.

I guess i should enrol in some short courses on business marketing/online marketing etc?

Or see if i can pay her an hourly wage?

Anyone else i know that may consider going into partnership with me has the same strengths as me so not much point besides 50/50 costs.

ALSO: Is it ok for research purpose to get a group of mum friends over to give opinion as mums what plates/bowls etc they would buy to help me get better direction? or is that rude as then they may feel funny/rude as contributing to my business

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Naomi,

Unfortunately very few of us are born with all round skills when it comes to these things… I have similar strengths to you but I struggle with creativity when it comes to marketing etc – I know what I want to say but not how to say it!

I was always told by a good mentor ‘you don’t need to know everything – you just need to know those that do’…. unfortunately not everyone (including me) can surround themselves with consultants / advisors so you need to think out of the square. By all means undertake a short course on marketing etc but try to find someone else who can help you with the stuff that you are not confident on.There are some fantastic people on here that are very cost effective (logos / website content etc – I can PM you contacts if you like) and even in your own circle of friends there are those that can probably help you (in return for a product or two when you launch)….

Whatever you do – make sure it is the right thing for you…

Regards,

Mark

1911naomi
    • Total posts: 124
    Up

Thanks again Mark for another reply and advice
    I will call you next week.

Naomi

Berrigan Motel
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Sorry you had to go solo Naomi but it’s good (I think) it happened early on and without destroying your friendship.

As has been said already, not many of us go into business as natural all rounders, but I think we’re all capable of eventually learning how to do what we need to be doing. I’m not great at writing airy fairy stuff either, but does it need to be airy fairy? Maybe ask your friend to help out initially, offer an hourly rate and negotiate, but don’t relinquish control. Or look at getting a freelance copywriter.

I believe you can develop the skills you need with time and experience. Think back to when you started your career, were you 100% confident that you could do all the things you’ve since learned to do with confidence? I think you just need practice and someone with patience to walk you through until you’re either able to take it on yourself, or successful enough to employ someone fulltime to do it for you. Unless you’re colour blind or style impaired :) you’ll eventually learn what your customers like and you can keep up to date with trends by reading magazines, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.