Home – New Forums Starting your journey Going to try out IndieGoGo – Need help on perks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Hey guys….. whilst I’ve wanted to be able to raise the capital by myself or get a loan/grant I’ve realized that isn’t gonna happen anytime soon; so I’ve had to swallow my pride and decided I will try out starting a campaign on the crowd funding site at http://www.indiegogo.com

With your campaigns you can optionally give out rewards/perks for certain levels of donations, basically a way to inspire donations/give people something back for their help and also a way to say thanks for their support.

In saying that though I have been really struggling coming up with what to offer as a reward/perk. I’ve thought about providing my services to them obviously, but that’s something that most people probably don’t need and even if they did, it would only suit the really higher levels of donations – plus there is the design to think of, and seeing as I personally only do the programming part the design would cost me money.

So……. over the last few days I have been researching stuff like promotional items such as fancy pens, bookmarks with our logo and/or a message inscription thanking them for their support etc etc….. however these sites that you order them from usually require you to buy them in lots of 30 – 100 at a time MINIMUM.

That isn’t a problem if I get the supporters; however the way IndieGoGo works is you get all the money from your campaign even if your funding goal isn’t reached; so even if I only got 1 person that donated some money to my cause I now would either have to outlay the money for ALL the pens and only have use for one or I would be lacking the pen to give to my supporter. :(

I’ve been going back and forth between if I should start a campaign on there or not because of all of this and whilst I could just start one and not offer anything, I really would be uncomfortable with doing that as I really want to show the people that help me out that I really appreciate their support and be able to provide them something really nice in return.

Thanks for reading all this and I really appreciate any advice on the matter!

Brett

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Well I guess everyone is as clueless as me lol……. maybe I’ll just order some nice pens or something and if I end up out of pocket, I end up out of pocket. Can always use them another day I guess :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Brett,

Hold tight for a bit – we’ll put a call out on Facebook and Twitter for you tomorrow, and see if we pick up any ideas.

Good luck,
    Jayne

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks a lot Jayne! :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Well been doing more researching and thinking…… found another site that seems to suit my purpose a lot more as it’s focused on Entrepreneurs, and that is: http://peerbackers.com/

They also have a much more flexible system where if you don’t raise your funding goal and you can’t offer the rewards because of this then the money is returned to each person. :)

This offers me a bit more flexibility in coming up with reward ideas :)

Oh one small thing I thought of was a postcard with a personalized thank you on it. Seeing as most people probably won’t be from Australia, some people may like this. :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Well ended up doing a campaign on peerbackers :) Finally came up with some perks – wasn’t easy though lol

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

Got a link?

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    victorng, post: 86757 wrote:
    Got a link?

In my sig :)

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

Duh… :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Brett,

Was a little surprised to check in and see that you didn’t receive much feedback on this one…. not what you expect here on FS :)

Firstly, I hope it does work/pay off for you… think the whole crowd funding is a great concept and hope it proves a long lasting thing.

Great amount of information in your campaign – has allowed me to think of a couple of ways (if suitable/of interest) where you might be able to reduce the amount actually required:

Re: Independent contractor agreement

You mention you found some online but don’t seem quite right… do you have an email address you can give me… I have some templates that might be different to the ones you have found that perhaps would suit? Cost – $0.00!
    Also, if you clarify what about the online ones you didn’t find suitable I can double-check my templates and see if I have one that covers off the stuff you find is missing etc.

Re: Phone Lines

Have you thought about a 1300 number? These can attach to current lines/mobiles etc, so you have a separate number for the business but don’t necessarily need to install a new line and incur that particular cost.

Our office has an ongoing offer in conjunction with Oracle Telecom (see http://www.oracletelecom.com.au) in this regard, and also for Virtual Fax services etc:

“Transfer your landlines to Oracle Telecom via Complete IP Pty Limited (your existing rates will be matched) and you will receive:

* 1300 Numbers Free connection, free access for 12 months and $12.50 access per month thereafter. (Telstra charge $25 per month for this!)

* Fax to email get your faxes wherever you are, as they will be delivered straight into your inbox. Free connection, free access for 12 months and $15.00 access per month thereafter.”

– Just a thought, if you are interested in looking at it further, let me know and I will send Oracle the necessary introduction to you, through our office to be able to obtain the above.

Anyway – not sure if it’s too late for ‘reward/incentive’ ideas.. but, perhaps on the off chance people that are local to you provide funds/donations you could take them out for a coffee? Good way to meet others near you and ads that personal ‘thank you’ touch? – Low cost and you only have to buy one at a time instead of quantities :)

Just thoughts… if I can help re the independent contractor agreement issue/cost, more than happy to and look forward to seeing the further info relating thereto.

All the best,

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Hi Jacqui – thanks for the great post and ideas. I will answer your questions below and also send you a PM with my email address :)

Quote:
    Firstly, I hope it does work/pay off for you… think the whole crowd funding is a great concept and hope it proves a long lasting thing.

Yeah….. I thought it was a pretty cool way of getting funding for your ideas; seems Peerbackers is rather new though, but thought I’d try it out over IndieGoGo, as whilst IndieGoGo may have more traffic I also felt it may get lost amongst all the other projects and PB had more of an Entrepreneurs theme to it. :)

Quote:
    Re: Independent contractor agreement

You mention you found some online but don’t seem quite right… do you have an email address you can give me… I have some templates that might be different to the ones you have found that perhaps would suit? Cost – $0.00!
    Also, if you clarify what about the online ones you didn’t find suitable I can double-check my templates and see if I have one that covers off the stuff you find is missing etc.

Thanks a lot Jacqui – that is really nice of you – much appreciated! :)

The problem I found with the online ones was mainly that they all were based on a single project where you would detail what the contractor is to deliver etc etc…… I am looking more for a contract that the contractor will sign ONCE and this will cover any work they do for me until the expiration of the contract (so for example a one year period).

I will include the other stuff needed in the PM I send to you.

Quote:
    Re: Phone Lines

Have you thought about a 1300 number? These can attach to current lines/mobiles etc, so you have a separate number for the business but don’t necessarily need to install a new line and incur that particular cost.

Yeah…. looked into a number of different options before including 1300 numbers. Don’t want the number diverting to our current land line as I really want to keep the business line separate including the bill; and if I’m not available would like a answering machine msg for the business. Can’t have it directed to my mobile as we have really bad mobile reception in our house and this would cause a lot of grief.

Quote:
    Anyway – not sure if it’s too late for ‘reward/incentive’ ideas.. but, perhaps on the off chance people that are local to you provide funds/donations you could take them out for a coffee? Good way to meet others near you and ads that personal ‘thank you’ touch? – Low cost and you only have to buy one at a time instead of quantities

I actually thought of something similar for locals, but then thought I should try and keep everything open to everybody considering I didn’t think I would get many people from Perth haha

Thanks again for your reply.

Brett

JacquiPryor
    Up

HI Brett – got your p.m, thanks – think I have just the thing you are looking for… Leave it with me for an hour or two and will send an email to you directly. :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 86993 wrote:
    HI Brett – got your p.m, thanks – think I have just the thing you are looking for… Leave it with me for an hour or two and will send an email to you directly. :)

Thanks so much Jacqui!! Let me know if I owe you anything :)

If you’re ever down my way I think I owe you a coffee haha

JacquiPryor
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 86994 wrote:
    Thanks so much Jacqui!! Let me know if I owe you anything :)

If you’re ever down my way I think I owe you a coffee haha

My pleasure :) – just sent the email so should be with you in a moment… I am a serious coffee addict so will definitely take you up on that if I am ever over your way.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks again Jacqui. I owe you one :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.